BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Upper Body exercises post-op

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by newhipdiva2011, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newhipdiva2011

newhipdiva2011 Junior Member

Let me be very clear that I'm going to rest the first couple of weeks after surgery and do my PT exercises faithfully! I am NOT going to overdo it and mess up my recovery. That said, I'm curious to know if anyone had upper body exercises for their PT to help strengthen muscles for crutches or canes. For those of you who enjoy working out, how soon were you cleared to do upper body exercises with light weights? I'm assuming being able to do pushups again will be a few months down the road.

2. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, it's not a question of can you do them, or will you be allowed to do them. More a question of will your body be able to do them! There is this thing called the Energy Drain for THRs and I strongly suggest you read that article as it will put you in the picture for what your body's other agenda will be. However, you might find it good to do that training pre-op though I doubt you have enough time to do anything significant.

My advice - strong advice - is to postpone such plans until about two to three months after the op.
    But you might also find it beneficial to read these articles too! :wink1:
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.