Unexpected anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

pclane65

WOW! This anxiety over right knee replacement surgery scheduled 04/10/2012 has taken me by surprise. Even though I realized recovery could take awhile, I was excited about the prospect of finally being pain free after so many years. In the last few days I have watched the DVD the OS sent home with me. Maybe I should not have watched it. Pretty graphic and I can't seem to get past the visuals. I worked in the medical field for years and took care of my husband while he was dying from cancer and thought I wanted to know what to expect. Maybe not! Anybody else feel this way? Chocolate...maybe I just need chocolate!!!

Chocolate is good! Has nice feel-good endorphin-type thingies in it!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_ilovecshs.gif

Yea, that vid is pretty gruesome if you're not accustomed to that kind of thing. I spent nearly all my life deeply involved in it so for me it was just another operation - or so I thought! Wrong! So different when it's going to be you 'under the knife'!

However, let me assure you that absolutely everyone feels like that. Look at it from another direction - you'd have to be a bit weird not to be anxious, don't you think? :wink1:

I was one of the ones that believed that "ignorance is bliss" and didn't see what was to be done until after the BTKR! (I made a lucky choice there...)

Get yourself some Dove Dark Chocolate and chomp away---they are my favorites!

Seriously, though---you have come to the right place and many of us have had a really bad case of the nerves before the surgery. We will be here for you and I know exactly how you feel.

Fire away with all of your concerns---you know that you will not feel anything and that everything will go just fine.

I took the class the surgeon required. I read all the pamphlets and booklets the surgeon gave me. I still went in, oblivious to what was ahead. "Possible year to recover? Not ME!" Oh, silly me.

I had friends in England send me English Cadbury. My favorite Aussie sent me Australian Cadbury. I can testify to the healing power of Chocolate. ♥

Thanks for the positive comments. Especially the chocolate suggestions! I think just saying I am scared helped a bit. I have always been the one taking care of others; the oldest of 7 siblings, and loving being in charge. HA! it has already been a big change having my loved ones asking what they can do for me. Not being a martyr...being the one with most of the answers! I have been feeling a bit adrift over being the one needing help. Sorry about the spurt of pity partying. I will get it together with the help of all you "bone smarties." As I said I like having the answers! Hmmm...just not seeing the graphics!

Many of us were nervous and scare about the upcoming surgery---I was, too. I must admit, though, that I was also excited about getting my life back and being pain-free for the first time in many years.

I also believe that you can look at it that way---in a little while, you will be on the "other side" ---moving toward your destination of reclaiming your life that arthritis robbed from you.

Think positive thoughts and eat dark chocolate!

I understand! My hubby works at the hospital where I'll be having the surgery. Last night my son & I went to the hospital to have dinner with him while he was working. I had him show me the floor & a possible room where I'd be staying & it made it all very real. I really didn't think it would have an effect on me, but it did. Also, I saw my OS checking in on his patients (on a Friday night), so that added to the "weirdness." It sure made it become a lot more real, more than just talking about it! Mine isn't till June 4th. This site is so helpful; no question is too silly. Helpful advice & lots of encouragement & even more answers!

Just stay positive. Your life is going to be soooo much better without the restriction and pain of arthritis. Yes the first days/weeks have there challenges bur every day ges better and the arthritis pain is gone immediately.

Before you know it you will be active and pain free and doing things you thought you would never do again.

Stay positive and remember it Ice, elevate and take your pain Meds as needed.

Pclane, please don't feel you are unusual in being apprehensive. I wouldn't even open the recovery side of this board until after surgery, and was a gibbering wreck for MONTHS before.

But one good thing is that you know the date when the feeling will end. And you know that afterwards you will feel better and better as time passes, with steadily reducing pain. And that feeling goes on and on!

My surgery date is April 2nd. I had my last appt. with os on friday. I have read everything i can find on the surgery, watched it done on the internet and went to the class at the hospital. I was making myself sick over it but after doing all these things it has calmed me down, i know what is going to happen, i know what could happen and besides the recovery process its out of my hands. As my doctor said, have faith and let me do the worrying and that is what i'm trying to do.
P.S. you can't go wrong with chocolate:doggieshmooze:

Welcome, Gramx2, to the forum. Good for you-----knowledge is power!!:thumb:

Now, go to the recovery side of the forum and read through the threads to find what you can expect during recovery. And you can control some aspects of your recovery. This again is a case of the more you know and understand the better off you will be and the more positive impact your actions can have on your recovery.

Also check out the library---it is loaded in excellent info that will be more than helpful to you. And beyond that, if you have any questions at all but sure to ask by starting a thread of your own. And remember, there are not stupid or silly questions----plenty of stupid or silly answers----but not questions.:hysterical:

Keep us posted. We care. :cat-kittyandsmiley: Judy

WOW! This anxiety over right knee replacement surgery scheduled 04/10/2012 has taken me by surprise. Even though I realized recovery could take awhile, I was excited about the prospect of finally being pain free after so many years. In the last few days I have watched the DVD the OS sent home with me. Maybe I should not have watched it. Pretty graphic and I can't seem to get past the visuals. I worked in the medical field for years and took care of my husband while he was dying from cancer and thought I wanted to know what to expect. Maybe not! Anybody else feel this way? Chocolate...maybe I just need chocolate!!!
I am booked for a Right Knee Replacment on April 2nd, and have had quite a lot of anxiety, to my suprise. I am looking forward to ending the pain, however I am a business owner and most of the anxiety stems from the thought of trying to run a business and recover at the same time.

As for being the one always to give help, and now being the one needing help, yup...that was me. So, for about 3 weeks post-op my wonderful hubby was amazing, and my grown daughters helped a little, my friends phoned and a few visited ...and then it seems that everybody decided I was fine, and I said I could do it all by myself ---and I couldn't...Every step of this recovery is a learning process, even how to ask for and -harder- accept help.

But - the good news is - soon enough you really can manage most things on your own. At 3+ months I have been doing everything I did before and much much more for about 8 weeks now..and tomorrow my sister is having her TKR and I am back in the helper role.

You'll be fine !!!

...most of the anxiety stems from the thought of trying to run a business and recover at the same time.
There are two concerns; firstly (obv) the damage to the knee, secondly how this affects one mentally.

If your business is in any way physical, even involving much standing, you have a big challenge. Your knee will not permit you to overdo things, your recovery will stall if you do anyway.

Mentally you may well be groggy for some weeks, certainly won't have full concentration. And if you do 16 hour days as some small business owners do -- forget it. Not a chance.

What is your line of work? We might be able to offer more advice.

Eleven days from now it will be done and I shall begin the healing process. I tried for a walk on the beach yesterday and did not get very far before I was praying I could get back home! Today...OUCH! Crazy what it takes to get one's mind right! But that did it for me. Where I live there is a saying by the old timers... of which I are one...If you are lucky enough to live on Tybee Island, you are lucky enough. Organist....April 10 here we come!! :yahoo:

A week ago I was so anxious and here I am now looking forward to the day. Thank you so much Bone Smartie friends. I ate more chocolate and read everything in the posts and library!! Good advice:hissyfit:

:thumb: The Big Day will be here before you know it!

Haagan Dazs Chocolate Chocolate Chip is my drug of choice.
But in a pinch, Dove is great.
Anxiety is totally normal.
I've had 2 knee replacements, same knee. I was very anxious for both of them.
They give you some 'happy juice' before the surgery, that is way better than chocolate!
Best to you

pclane,

Our big day is coming up soon. I appreciate all of the posts and sharing. It definitely helps. I'm excited, but also have a bit of nervous energy as the date gets closer. I agree about all of the chocolate. Maybe I'll have my hubby (Liam) supply me with Dove dark chocolate in the hospital. We always have some at home, and eat one piece as dessert -- one for each of us. We also like chocolate chip Lactaid (non-dairy ice cream). Liam is lactose intolerant, and Lactaid tastes yummy. :)

I haven't seen the DVD of the surgery, but Liam and I have been using humor in talking about the surgery. He's retired US Navy, and I've worked (as chaplain) in hospitals. We both have an off-the-wall sense of humor too. So that's been helpful for me.

Tuesday is the day that we (Liam and I) will attend the knee replacement class. Then our surgery date. What time is yours scheduled? Mine is for 11:15 am.

Becky
aka - Organist

Gosh,

I think everyone I have ever talked to was nervous before surgery.
I have had 1 knee replacement on the left, 2 surgeries on the right, and will have a revision on the right April 13th. Am I nervous? Sure am! I love the "happy juice" that they give though and that takes away the nervousness!:wink1:

By the way, I do believe in the power of chocolate! After my surgeries though I lost my appetite and didn't eat anything. I do remember an occasional piece of chocolate from Mom trying to entice me to eat though! LOL:biggrin:

Becky

I am scheduled for 7:30 am on the 10th. I go to the class on Wednesday. Anxious to find out what info they can provide that hasn't been on here. I am a widow (husband passed away several years ago) so my two grandchildren will go with me. They are 19 and 23 and will remember everything I forget! They are my angels!

I talked to a friend of a friend who said she had general anesthesia and a epidural for pain management and recommended it. It has probably been discussed but I have not bee able to find it. Any ideas??? Opinions???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties