PKR Underestimated operation and post-op pain!

poppyzac

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first time on here, due to the lack of sleep I have been reading and enjoying this site and have found it very informative.

My experience so far, unicompartmental knee replacement on 31/10/2014, operation performed under spinal anaesthesia, which although an uncomfortable procedure gave excellent comfort and pain relief alongside some very nice sedation. The recovery room was a pleasant experience chatting to the nurses, instead of nausea etc that can accompany a general anaesthetic. I was very comfortable for the first 20 hours or so, (apart from not being able to get out of bed and the dreaded commode!) and then it hit me like a brick - pain like I have never experienced in my life! Pain score 10, 10, 10! Blood pressure went up to 200 systolic, heart rate 120, sweaty, clammy, basically it took another 24 hours until I was comfortable to be able to sleep for a couple of hours.

Discharged from hospital on 5th day. I have totally underestimated this op and the pain that comes with it. I am now 11 days post-op and due to have my 25 staples removed tomorrow. The pain is manageable now, although sleeping is still a problem, but that will come with time. My husband has been a sweetheart, although he is yawning a lot! Oh and he's currently in the spare room so there is an upside!

@poppyzac hello,I live not too far from the Dales! Sounds as if you had a grim time in hospital ! Jeez! But good to hear your pain is now better controlled and you've got some sleep. That's some BP!
This site is great and has lots of good advice and reading.
My op is a week on Tuesday so I'll be following your progress with interest.:ice:

Hi @poppyzac
:welome:to BoneSmart. I'm glad you found us.

I see that you've been doing some reading here and that is good.

This is the reading list that we give new Bonesmarties, like you - most of the articles are fairly short, so please don't feel overwhelmed:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Welcome yup it is a dandy site with good info much better than I was given by medicals. One thing we are all individuals (the world couldnt cope with 2 of me). So dont be dissheartened if you feel you aren't doing as well as others. Instead ask questions. Good luck and it does get sooooooo much better .

Legin THR Sep 14

operation performed under spinal anaesthesia .... I was very comfortable for the first 20 hours or so, (apart from not being able to get out of bed and the dreaded commode!) and then it hit me like a brick - pain like I have never experienced in my life!
ooooh ... so they never gave you a femoral block then? Poor girl!

Also a lot of people assume that a uni is a smaller op than a total and therefore everything else will be less. Not so! Partials have every bit as much pain and swelling as totals.

Hope you're doing better now.

Thank you, no I did not receive a femoral block although I did receive the paperwork about this, however must look forward now, onwards and upwards, looking forward to getting back to long hikes with my dogs next summer in the Scottish Highlands, ( well that's my aim!)

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Oh forgot to say good luck @SuperSnapper for your op next week, I live near Grassington in Yorkshire Dales, not that far from you?

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I think that the doc's tout the uni as an easier and less painful solution---which most people find is not exactly true!! I am glad that your pain is managed now. I never had a femoral block either and really, I don't think they make any difference. I did not have one because you had to stay in bed until it wore off---up to two days and I did not want to do that!

Used to regularly visit N Yorkshire Dales as a wee og ( young ogre)

Legin THR Sep 14

Grassington! Hardly any distance at all! Hope you are feeling a bit better today and thanks for the good wishes.

Hi, this is my first time on here, due to the lack of sleep I have been reading and enjoying this site and have found it very informative.

My experience so far, unicompartmental knee replacement on 31/10/2014, operation performed under spinal anaesthesia, which although an uncomfortable procedure gave excellent comfort and pain relief alongside some very nice sedation. The recovery room was a pleasant experience chatting to the nurses, instead of nausea etc that can accompany a general anaesthetic. I was very comfortable for the first 20 hours or so, (apart from not being able to get out of bed and the dreaded commode!) and then it hit me like a brick - pain like I have never experienced in my life! Pain score 10, 10, 10! Blood pressure went up to 200 systolic, heart rate 120, sweaty, clammy, basically it took another 24 hours until I was comfortable to be able to sleep for a couple of hours.

Discharged from hospital on 5th day. I have totally underestimated this op and the pain that comes with it. I am now 11 days post-op and due to have my 25 staples removed tomorrow. The pain is manageable now, although sleeping is still a problem, but that will come with time. My husband has been a sweetheart, although he is yawning a lot! Oh and he's currently in the spare room so there is an upside!

This is my first time as well and fully understand where you are coming from, it's two months since my total knee replacement operation and the pain is still agony, knee, leg and foot are like barrage balloons, what is sleep? Just hoping after reading other people's remarks, that it will get easier with time, I'll let you know. Wish me luck.

@Santer , if you start a thread of your own, we'll be able to help you.

@poppyzac - I had a partial and, later a total knee replacement. The partial was every bit as hard to recover from as the totals were.
I know that some surgeons do imply that the recovery from a PKR will be easier and quicker than from a TKR but, in most cases, that isn't so.

Do try to keep ahead of the pain, with plenty of this: rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock.

PS: I lived in Yorkshire for 14 years. Loved it!

Hi, thank you for your comments and advice, trying to keep cheerful but sometimes feel this pain will never end. Just talking to someone helps.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom