BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

uncemented hip issue?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by hipalong, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hipalong

hipalong Member

Hello again, this is a technical question. On one of the links from the exercises recommended in the forum library, I read that one of the reasons why it takes longer to recouperate from an uncemented hip than from a cemented one, is that if you overdo it too soon with an uncemented one you can break the initial bone growth into your new joint and in some cases it never re-grows as well as it had done at first.
    I'm guessing that means that you really have to do something extreme to do that?
    Also are there any supplements that you can take to encourage bone growth?
    Thank you, beforehand, Jenny x x
  2. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you mean this sentence "bony ingrowth can be interrupted for a variety of reasons including movement of the implants before bony ingrowth is established"?

Because there was more to it regarding the reasons for failure of bony ingrowth "inaccurate fit between the implant and the bone, presence of debris, blood and fat which can obstruct the bony ingrowth" meaning this is rather more an issue about the surgeon's technique than anything the patient does or doesn't do.

However, there was also this comment "some surgeons require the patient to be non-weight bearing for some weeks after surgery in order to avoid interruption of the bony ingrowth" but considering there are more and more surgeons who don't subscribe to this, it would seem to be something of a misnomer.

Point is assuming the prosthesis is properly fitted, bony ingrowth will occur quite satisfactorily and there is no need to take supplements or anything like that. I wouldn't worry about it, okay?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hipalong

hipalong Member

Dear Jo, thank you for putting my mind at rest there. Just suddenly had a bit of a panic. I over did it for a couple of days I think, everything ached, and then I read that and thought that it meant that it could be down to something one did or didn't do, and how much more would you have to over do it before you did something drastic?
    So panic cancelled!!!
    It is odd how different surgeons vary on their weight bearing policies. In a moment of 'freak out' it is easy to doubt that yours is the one who got it right.!!
    thanks again, Jenny x
  4. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's actually not odd at all! Every surgeon is a composite of his training which will be totally unique for each man (or woman!). Add to that his own research and opinions, and his own experiences, and you get the vast variations in treatment and procedure. And as I often used to tell my theatre staff, a surgeon who does something different isn't necessarily wrong, he's just ..... different!
  5. hipalong

hipalong Member

So be it! It wouldn't do if we were all the same would it?
    Thanks Jo x x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.