BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Two scars on 1 knee???

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Lori, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lori

Lori Senior

I have looked through the pics on the recovery side & I'm wondering something: I have had a previous knee surgery (1875) that left a nice long scar on the inside of my knee. Maybe about 6 inches long. Many times people have commented that I had a run in my pantyhose. :th_heehee: Will I have a matching scar down the center of my knee after my TKR on 6-4-12? I am thinking I'll have the look of train tracks! No problem though, I'll be able to do activities that I haven't been able to do. Thanks all you smarties for your answers to all my questions.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    You had your surgery in EIGHTEEN 75????:th_heehee: Wow, you're holding up well.....:hysterical:

As for this one, it's possible (probably very likely) that your surgeon will choose to follow the old surgical scar. There can be a problem with proper circulation to healing tissues if two incisions (and scar tissue) are placed too close together.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

for what it is worth I had 2 reconstructions on my L knee and a total of 5 Knee surgeries on my left knee. I have 4 huge scars lol oh well my knee now works so it is ALL good. My TKR went through part of one of my scars lol and then some.
    badges of honor and getting back to living!!! I love my scars!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

I posted here last night and it looks like it is gone due to the issues BoneSmart has been having. Let's try this again.

I have 2 scars on my knee. The first one is 8 inches long on the inside of my knee from my 1973 surgery. The TKR scar is about 7 inches long and runs down the center of my knee. They both cross at the bottom and both look like railroad tracks. It doesn't bother me, they are my battle scars and I wear them proudly.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Sorry.....you're right, we did lose some more posts in this latest system problem. Thanks for retyping yours....
  6. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

I have a mini-scar on my shins as well as my big one around my knee. It was the site where they attached the telemetry when they did my replacement. Supposed to take part of the guesswork out of the positioning of the hip and knee and foot.
  7. Lori

Lori Senior

Well, thanks! I'll have matching scars it sounds like! I don't mind, I earned each scar I have gotten! At last count, I have 7 & the TKR will make it an even 8. I am amazed when I think of all the medical advances that are available to us (in the 21st century). I really appreciate that I live now. I can't imagine how our ancestors made it!?! :thumb:
  8. 24tesla

24tesla Junior Member

I imagine it all depends on the surgeon. I had a LONG scar down the inside of my knee, from the surgery in 1991 to put in a plate and screws, after a tibial platuo fracture (don't spell check me!) I had LTKR This past Friday and he used most of the old scar before moving back across to the center. Will get pix as I can, right now it is all hidden under aquacel bandage. (which has been nice being able to shower as soon as I got home from the hospital). Doc said the use of old scar served two purposes... One was to minimize additional scarring, and two. It minimizes Necrotizing.
  9. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You are almost right, Kevin. scarring and blood supply are the key issues and the surgeon will bring his superior knowledge of the blood supply to the tissues to play when making his choice! But an unavoidable factor is also access. He cannot automatically use an old scar if it's not in the right place to give him the access he requires to do the job. Which is why Lori's surgeon will probably make a totally new incision down the centre of the knee.

But just think, Lori - if he does, you can draw lines between the two scars and then you really will have a train track down your leg! :snork:
  10. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Lori
    I sent a reply to you last week but it has flown into cyberspace somewhere. So I will try again. I had a very long scar from a patella realignment done in the 70's and my surgeon used the same scar. I did ask him prior to surgery if he would use the existing scar but he would not commit himself at that stage. I must confess he has done a lovely neat job and managed to tidy up the original scar in the process.

Take a look at Ripken's photo on the Badge of Honour thread and you will see his surgeon used his existing scar. I must get a couple of photo's uploaded onto that thread :thumb:
  11. Organist

Organist Senior

Kevin,

Glad that you're on the other side now and back home with a bathroom on the first floor that works. :dancy: Welcome back.
    Becky
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 24tesla

24tesla Junior Member

What you mema almost :scratch:? I'm always right, never wrong, never make mistakes... Thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken...:hate-shocked:

Haha, I kid, I kid.

Yeah, it will all depend on several things. Also depends on the style stitching or staples used, my original scar had no cross ties, it was all done under the skin, with only one loop in the center an then the stick coming out of the skin about one quarter of an itch away from the end of the incision. Can't wait to see how this was done, but nurse said this doc uses a similar under skin, stitch, and glue on the surface, to minimize scar size. Regardless, the scar will be well worth the absence of pain in the coming months. Thx for the clarification, as I got a brief explanation, but did not understand 100%.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.