BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Triathlon Knee

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by debsnm, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debsnm

debsnm Junior Member

Hello All!!!

I just stumbled upon this group and I am thrilled!
    Scheduled for tkr on Dec 7th. I live in the UK and my Dr. is getting me a triathlon knee. I have read some pretty scary stuff about this substance in your body and long term effects. Any comments or advice are most appreciated!!! I'm scared to death to get this done. Just turned 50, if that helps!
    Thanks!!!!!
  2. Titianlady

Titianlady Sr Bonesmartie

United States United States
    Relax my dear. There are a lot of folks right here that have the Stryker Triathalon knee and are thrilled with them. I myself have a Stryker knee. Stryker makes a very good, natural movement knee system.

Now, just what is it about the Stryker knee that has you so scared? If it is just the surgery itself, we can all understand your nerves. Please read the posts and you will see that all of us were nervous, but came through it just fine!! And most of us would do it again in a minute.

We're all here for you my dear!!
  3. debsnm

debsnm Junior Member

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I feel like crying to have found this sight. For 2 yrs now I have been in so much pain and I never feel like anyone really appreciates how much it hurts!
    I am really scared to get the operation. But I am now concerned about having 'metal' in my body. I started looking up colbalt chrome materials and they said these metals can have serious health effects on your body. Is this true? I keep telling myself not to look this stuff up on the internet. Perhaps I can stop now that I have found you guys! :)
  4. Titianlady

Titianlady Sr Bonesmartie

Ahh, sweetie, I know you're nervous. But some of the Stryker knees are titanium and stainless steel. Don't let all the hype frighten you!! The new implants can last for decades dear heart.

Don't wait a minute more than you have to to get this surgery!! You deserve a pain free life, and a new knee will give your life back to you!!
    I don't regret having my surgery one bit!! I too waited for years after I was bone on bone, and my quality of life suffered so much.

I had my TKR in July, and feel on top of the world. NO MORE PAIN, and I can do anything I want to do.
    Believe me, you will see how liberating having this new knee will be!!

And we will all be here to see you through recovery dear one. :)
  5. debsnm

debsnm Junior Member

Thank you, so much. I am now officially crying. Your support means so much to me. xx
  6. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

I also have two Stryker Triathelons. One is 4 years old, one is 3 years old. I have continued to work as a ski instructor and ski about 100 days per year from the first one to this day. I really have not read anything about the metal being a problem in your body---but, I am sure those articles exist.Smith and Newphew make a knee with no nickel for those who have some metal allergies.

/the pain itself is hard to bear though. Several people have mentioned to me that I was "nicer" after my surgeries. Pain does make you short tempered!!! I will give you some articles from our library to read, welcome to Bonesmart!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Progression of activity for TKRs

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    • Like Like x 1
  7. debsnm

debsnm Junior Member

Thank you so much Skigirl!!! I can't stop reading the posts on this sight!!! Thrilled to have your support!
  8. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You shouldn't read that stuff! It is true some people have had problems but with hip replacements, not knees. It's because the ball and socket of the hip has a whole different scenario of mechanics than a knee. So put it right out of your mind and remember just this - knee replacement is the most successful surgery in the world with almost one million being done every year! That means something - it means that the complications are so low, everybody, surgeons and patients alike, think this is the bestest ever treatment for a poorly knee! And in about 10 months from now you will be kicking up your heals and saying one thing "WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG"!

In the mean time, instead of reading all that other stuff, read these
    Stories of amazing knee recoveriesDick Beardsley, marathon runner with two TKRs

Also, you can start getting yourself educated with all those articles Kelly has posted for you. Within them lies salvation! I would add these
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
  9. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Today I am celebrating my five-year anniversary and both of my knees implanted during my BTKR are Stryker Triathlons. I love 'em and that have been great to me! As others have said, it is perfectly normal to be nervous, but don't read that stuff---trust in your OS and please keep posting your questions or concerns---we will help you throughout the entire process!

My Strykers have been wonderful and there are periods of time---days, actually---that i forget that they are implants.
  10. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, Debsnm. You might become the 2nd most scaredycat person on BoneSmart, but I claim the Biggest Girls Blouse Ever award. The fear was awful.

Not now. 11 months out, rode 25 miles on my bike yesterday morning, table tennis practice in the afternoon and again later this morning.

The first month of recovery is challenging BUT that awful, horrible fear is GONE and you are (a) without the crippling pain, just have recovery pain - not the same! - and (b) you are getting better every day, which ain't happening now is it?

TKR is the business; most common serious operation in the world, immensely successful, YOU will be a success story.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

I hear you, skigirl. I'm not sure if I'm less short tempered :hissy: but I do feel like life is "lighter" since the tkr, not being dragged down by pain and major limitations to walking etc. :happydance:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Elsie Yan

Elsie Yan Member

Hi Debsnm, Despite being scared, you are taking action to go through TKR. So I applaud you for that. I have family members who are in dire needs of bilateral TKR and yet, they do not have the courage to do it. I thought that after having gone through a successful bilateral TKR, I could motivate them but no. Their fears are too great so I have given up on them. The thing is if you have adequate knowledge about TKR and its success rate, you should not be too concerned. I did my bilateral TKR at age 50 too and it was the best thing that I have ever done. I am so grateful to have two pain free knees and an active lifestyle. So good luck to you!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sunnie12

sunnie12 Junior Member

Debsnm, I recently had a tkr of my right knee and the prosthesis is a stryker triatholon. I'm able to lock my knee to do some exercises already and before that wasn't possible. If you are really nervous about your surgery, tell the anesthesia dr when you get your pre-surgery call or consultation and a medication could possibly be ordered to help calm you down a bit right after you get into your hosp. gown. I was very nervous as well, and was given a xanax a good bit before the IV med that's usually given right before being taken into the OR.
    You don't need to worry about the stryker knee...it's a good implant and you will be a happy camper with it. Try not to read all the stuff on the internet as previously advised by Josephine. Think about cooking some for the freezer and what movies and books you'd like to read while you're recovering. Also, get some snacks, facial tissue, etc. to keep by your bed at home. Oh yes, if you use a cell phone, make sure you have a long enough cord that will reach to your bed for keeping it charged and a grabber for getting things you can't reach. :flwrysmile:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Al of these implants have been thoroughly tested and are excellent; there are no "goods", "betters", and "bests"---what counts is the surgeon's skill and his familiarity with a certain company. He will choose the correct implant to meet your needs.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. debsnm

debsnm Junior Member

16. jetthugger

jetthugger Senior

I would love to tell you ''don't worry' , but as I am currently waiting for a date to have my LTKR, I am being the biggest big girls blouse ever!!!! It's part of the journey, I believe. It took me YEARS to arrive at this decision and I completely understand all the nerves and emotional rollercoasters we are all on. I also know that the support that we all find here is amazing. The information is easy to digest and very very helpful - finally, it's wonderfully reassuring to know that we are able to take this journey together, with companions who understand completely what we all face and we can empathise and support each other. I havent a clue what prosthetic my surgeon will use, I trust him completely though and place my well being in his hands. Looking forward now to this journey, together :kittykiss:
  17. referee54

referee54 Moderator

i think that if you are not worried, you are not human! I would imagine that almost all of us---99.999% were nervous before TKR our a BTKR! I was also excited to be ridding myself from the pain and about to regain an active lifestyle.

If you have chosen an excellent surgeon, trust in his abilities and knowledge to select the correct implant for you and to take care of the surgical side of things, too.
  18. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Add me to the list of people who are totally happy with their Stryker triathlon!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.