BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Traveling after TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by sanbed, Aug 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sanbed

sanbed New Member

I am 5 wks tkr and wonder if I could travel to see my granddaughter's soccer game at UNC. It is 450 miles away, Advice please.

2. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, sanbed and welcome to BoneSmart! A trip to see you granddaughter's soccar game? How could a doting grandparent not want to do that?!

Well, it rather depends upon how you are doing? At 5 weeks I was doing extremely well but wouldn't have wanted to undertake such a journey myself.

How is your pain? Swelling? How do you feel about it?
    Exactly when is this trip scheduled?
    How long will you be going for? There and back in a day? Overnighting with friends, family or in an hotel?
    Have you got lots of ice pack things to take with you? A cool box to keep them frozen in and somewhere to refreeze them whilst there?

You see, it's not just a case of how far you're out and how long the journey is. LOTS more to be factored in there.

3. sanbed

sanbed New Member

I am doing well. ROM is 113. We will be traveling in a van where I can lie down, elevate and we plan to stop and walk every one and 1/2 hour. I'm worried of danger of dvt. Is there anything else I should be doing? Sandy

4. sykeRN

sykeRN Member

Hi Sandy---Jo was right concerning the issues surrounding your trip. You also have some things thought out already. My question---is there a reason for you to be especially concerned about dvt's---other than the routine worries we all have? A good point in your plans is to stop frequently to walk around. Always good to do on a trip.

I am glad that you are doing well. All the best to you. Nancy

5. calling_all_angels

calling_all_angels Alpha

San,
    It sounds like you have thought of everything. May I ask one thing??? Are you still wearing your ted socks??? It would be a good thing if you wore them for the trip.
    Hope you do well!!! Please let le know how it goes. I will say a little prayer for you.

6. sanbed

sanbed New Member

I guess I have been warned so many times about dvt that it scares me. No medical reason that I am aware of tho. I'll keep taking my 325 mg aspirin and try to do all the right things. Thanks so much for this website. It has saved a lot of calls to the OS. Sandy

7. Judles

Judles Alpha

My OS gave me his blessing for me to drive to Florida.....from New York! I had to pronise I'd make frequent stops along the way! I also drove! Like Jo said, factor in the other things and you should be fime! Nothing would keep me away from my grandbabies either!!! (:)0)

8. cindy88fan

cindy88fan Supremo

I think you should be fine. I'm going on a short trip Saturday. Mine is only about 1 1/2 hour drive to the lake. I'm taking my peas and pillows and fishing pole. Have fun at the game! Enjoy yourself...you deserve it!!!

9. ship4

ship4 Graduate

Sanbed,
    As long as you take the time to stop and get out to walk frequently, you should be fine. At 3 weeks post op I went to a Blues Festival in Rockland, Maine. It is a 4 hour ride from our home. It is over very little highway, mostly back roads to get there. We took our time, stopped, I got out to stretch and walk. I found if I took off my shoes and put a pillow on the floor of the car and rested my feet on that, I was most comfortable. Just a suggestion. Enjoy your time away!

10. cindy88fan

cindy88fan Supremo

Crystal,
    Taking the shoes off and placing a pillow on the floor sounds like a great idea. I think I'll try that for my small trip tomorrow. Thank-you for the great idea!:thmb:

11. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, with the plans you have, you shouldn't have any trouble at all. Just relax and enjoy the trip! Just promise to tell us about it when you get back.

12. Judles

Judles Alpha

Hey Cindy! So if you catch a fish, and defrost your peas....you'll have an easy meal!! (:)0)

13. cindy88fan

cindy88fan Supremo

Judles,
    I'm not to sure about that one.:hehe: I can't count how many these bags of peas have thawed out...Yuck! But I'll be glad to share if anybody wants some. LOL.:D

14. calling_all_angels

calling_all_angels Alpha

Cindy,
    Will you be serving Fish and Cookies with them peas???

15. sanbed

sanbed New Member

Well, it's Monday morning and we made it the 450 miles to North Carolina from Ohio and back in 2 days. Granddaughter played in the soccer game and UNC won over UCLA 7-2. What a great time. We stopped every 2 hrs and I walked. I also rode in the back seat so I could move around. Took ice but only had to use it twice. Thanks for all your advice.:p
    Sandy

16. Judles

Judles Alpha

GREAT going, Sandy!!! So happy to hear that both you grand daughter AND you were winners this past weekend!!! What a milestone!!! (:)0)

17. Texas

Texas Alpha

Congrats Sandy your my hero. I dont think i could have done that at five weeks.You are determined thats great tell your daughter we are glad they won.Glad you all were there as well...........hehe

18. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Hmmm...another buckeye..how cool. I'm originally from Cincinnati area in Ohio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.