Total Right Knee Dec 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Needy Knee

Country
United States United States
This is my Christmas present to me.... Looking forward to no walkers, canes or crutches next year.

Hi and welcome to Bonesmart. We are glad you found us.
If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and appMy Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have here and check out some of our recovery threads. Add your name to those having surgery in December.

Best wishes for your surgery.
Plan to have a very quiet Christmas this year. Get everything done in advance, then spend Christmas Day doing lots of this:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

I had one of my knees replaced on 9th December. I did all my Christmas shopping on line and had the gifts delivered to the recipients' addresses, so that I didn't have to worry about posting them, either.

@Needy Knee Welcome to this wonderful site! These folks know what they are talking about and have lots of wisdom and experience! Read the files and learn, listen, and follow the BoneSmart mantra!!! Merry Christmas to you!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Not that long to go so you'd better get studying what you need to know after the great event!

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Welcome to the forum family---and you will have a great Christmas present when you are fully recovered! You will be amazed at how great you feel!

Please keep coming back and ask any question or pose any concern that you may have---we will be here to help you through the entire process of your TKR and recovery.

Hi @Needy Knee - hope you are doing your pre-op exercises and preparing your home for recovery. The waiting can produce a good amount of anxiety but relax and know this replacement is going to improve your life remarkably! I was 62 when I had my knees replaced - it is all good!! I look forward to see how you are doing and how we can be of help. BoneSmart and the Advisors and Moderators on here are fabulous. You will get top advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
hope you are doing your pre-op exercises and preparing your home for recovery.
For the exercises, concentrate most on those that will help with upper body strength. You will be relying on your arms and shoulders to help for the first few weeks after surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties