BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

TKR and flu shots

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by birdie1410, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdie1410

birdie1410 New Member

Hey there,

LTKR on May 11. Dismissed from PT end of June. I am trying to get back in the groove of my exercises after taking time off for a new grandbaby (our first girl!). Movement is still pretty good but still having a lot of night-time discomfort. I think my fibromyalgia is having a good time with me lately.

Anyway, my main question is-should I get a flu shot this year? With all the caveats about infections, possible infections, inflammation, etc, I don't know the protocol on this. What do the surgeons usually recommend?

Thanks, and thanks again!:thumb:
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Yes, you should get your flu shot. The reasons for getting one never change. You want to be protected against the latest varieties of the flu virus that appear each year.

But it won't really have an impact on your knee replacement. Flu is caused by viruses and not bacterial infections.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. birdie1410

birdie1410 New Member

Wow! Thanks Jamie for getting back to me so quickly. We have another trip planned soon and I hate the thought of coming home with the flu. Appreciate the response.
  4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

You're welcome! You caught me just as I was heading off to sleep. Glad I could help you.
  5. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Don't worry at all about the flu shot. It is something that you need to get and will not bother you at all. My OS actually urged me to get the flu shot before my BTKR. As Jamie pointed out, the shot deals with viruses and not bacteria.
  6. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Oh yes, I had one last September after my TKR in June. I didn't even give it a second thought. No one wants to get the flu!
  7. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

All good answers. I would get the shot just so you don't end up with both at the same time.

When I had my BTKR's, the swine flu was at its peak. I asked my OS before surgery, what I should do if I got it. He said 'nothing'. He added his wife was scared of getting it.

It ended up no one in my family got it, but a lot of friends, and even nurses at hospital got it. They had signs everywhere and they stopped kids from being allowed in patient areas.

So anyway, just do what you would normally do. The shots are available now at our grocery stores.
  8. cubby217

cubby217 Junior Member

I am thrilled to hear of someone who is struggling with Fibromyalgia also. I keep thinking that Fibro is why I am not progressing as well as I did with my TKA. Had I known the PKA would be as bad or worse than my TKA, I would have insisted that the the doctor do the TKA. All I know is that I am having my 3 mo. visit with the OS today and I am in so much pain, I don't know what to tell him. Today is the day that I need to decide what is going to happen with going back to work and I honestly don't think I can. The day after Pt (had it yesterday), I am useless. What is going to happen to me when after I have worked a day! And sleeping is still hard. Last night I took 1 1/2 Vicodin and I made it to 3:52 a.m. Woke and did not know where to put my leg. I eventually went back to sleep and got up when the alarm went off at 7. I feel groggy. How will I manage to drive to work and put in a day??? I guess I will know after I see the OS this a.m. The celebrex has not helped so I stopped taking it. Ibuprofen was also useless. My ROM is about 110 but my TKA leg is 104. I went backwards on that...

I am so discouraged. Part of me thinks that perhaps my age (69 in two weeks) has something to do with my slow recovery. I just don't know.

Sorry for whining but I am, frankly, nervous about seeing the doctor today.

Oh, I almost forgot. Your question was about flu shots. I am wondering about the shingles vaccine and whether I should get that!!!

9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I would ALWAYS recommend the shingles vaccine. It doesn't have anything to do with a knee or hip replacement. But I can tell you from personal experience that you DON'T want to get shingles....EVER!!!
  10. conniew

conniew Junior Member

My Dr wouldn't give me flu shot prior to my TRKR, but 2 days after my surgery last Oct, they gave me one in the hospital and I had no problems whatsoever.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.