BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Titanium vs. cobalt chrome knee replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by elschw, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elschw

elschw New Member

Would like information and data on the use of titanium knee replacements vs. cobalt chrome. Effect of any weight differences on walking gait. Any difference in life. For a very active 76 year old female hiker.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Welcome to BoneSmart, Elschw. So glad you joined us!

It is my understanding that there is very little difference in the various implants in terms of performance and weight. But the best person to provide detailed information will be our forum nurse, Josephine. She'll be around soon, I'm sure, and will post ato your questions.

If you read through some of the old KNEE RECOVERY threads you'll find that we have had several VERY active ladies with knee replacements who recovered quite well to go back to skiing and hiking. The key is to do your research first and select a great surgeon who does LOTS of knees. Then put yourself in his hands and go with what he recommends.
  3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    There are no differences. The weight of the implants compared to the weight of the leg makes it inconsequential. Did you know that one leg is roughly a quarter of your total body weight? So the leg of a person weighing 200lb would be about 50lbs. The average weight of a cobalt chrome knee is 9-10ozs!

As far as the use of the implants, for you it makes no difference whatsoever. They don't last longer, wear better or anything else. Don't even bother to think about it!
  4. elschw

elschw New Member

Thanks much. You've eliminated our concern over my surgeon's choice of material. I do have surgeon who has done literally hundreds of knees.

Elaine
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.