BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Tie Shoe..put on sock?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by RollsRoyce, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Graduate

It will be 7 months March 5th since I had my operation.. I can't cross my hip surgery leg over my other leg. I can't tie my shoe and I can't put on my sock the right way... How long did it take other hippies to accomplish this? I am walking good.. that took six months to stop lurching/limping.

2. 1jt@atime

1jt@atime Forum Advisor

At 12 weeks, I can tie my shoe but can't quite reach those toes to put on my sock. Haven't been able to cross my leg for 20+ years so haven't tried that yet. Still lurching really badly but hope to be walking a straight line by the time I'm six months post-op! :THUMB:

3. Airfun

Airfun Senior

I've been able to put on socks for a couple weeks, now it's as easy as it is for the right side, I can drag my heel up to my knee, really stretch the upper back and arm, sock held open at the end of my fingertips to get it over my toes - so, just barely able.

I got elastic laces for my runners so that's not an issue. I quite like them and think I will keep them forever :th_heehee: I can walk fairly evenly short distances, and easier in crocs (too much snow so that's only been inside), I have to work at NOT wobbling like a penguin for short distances, and for longer, like a block, forget it, I wobble. I think though a lot of that is caused by the right side, that leg is on sideways and really throws fits. Can I answer again on the walking in a month? :biggrin:

Chris

4. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

Shoes and socks: 2 months.
    Crossing legs: about 3 months. I don't remember exactly when I started. It sort of happened spontaneously.

Can I make some suggestions? If you want to put your ankle on the opposite knee to put on shoes and socks, you could work on this stretch:

[​IMG]

When that gets easy (or if it already is), try this:

[​IMG]

Or even this:

[​IMG]

The difficulty you are having with crossing that leg, may be related to a tight IT band. I can't tell for sure from what you said, but that's a really common problem for us hippies. This stretch might help with that:

[​IMG]

As with any stretches, take your time and don't try to force anything. Progress tends to happen over the course of weeks or even months, but it does happen. :THUMB:

• Like Like x 4
  5. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Can you start these stretches as early as 6 weeks?
    Cathy

6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hmm ... might be a bit risky. I'd wait until at least 3 months if not longer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bobbie

bobbie Junior Member

I am at 3 months and able to tie my shoe and put on my sock by sitting in a chair and bending forward slowly. I am afraid to do these excercises yet. Is it ok ?I haven't even been on the floor yet. I am careful not to wobble or limp when I walk. If I do, I just pull my shoulders up and hold my stomach in , it works.

8. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

Cathy, I wouldn't worry about these stretches yet. It may not feel like it, you're still very recently out of surgery. You have all the time in the world to work on range of motion. For now, just enjoy your milestones since THR and take some time to appreciate being out of pain.

Bobbie, you know your body better than anyone. If you don't feel like these stretches are right for you, I wouldn't push it. I'm eleven months post-op and I am still seeing improvements in my range of motion, so you have plenty of time. You can always try them later, if you feel like it, or you may find that your flexibility improves while you're just living your life and thinking about other things. Stranger things have happened. :WINK1:

• Like Like x 2
  9. TEXAS JACK

TEXAS JACK Senior

Dear Axlecat,

WHAT'S AN IT BAND ?

jACK

10. Brad

Brad Junior Member

11. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Graduate

Hi.. Now it is 8 months and I still can't tie my shoe or put on a sock properly... I do the exercies .. it is like my hip area is locked in place.. I can not put my right foot on my left knee... I am wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I am walking great...but the other day I was walking and for no apparent reason I fell to my knees on the street... I got up fine.. I skinned my knee and my left foot hurt for a day... From now on I won't walk alone when I walk any distance .. I will walk with my hubby.

12. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That must have been a surprise - you have no idea why it happened? Didn't stand on a pebble or something? It just gave way?

That and the inability to reach your feet - I really think you should get things checked out with your surgeon. Something's not right.

13. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Valerie.....I'm so sorry to hear you are having some problems. Jo's right.....time for a chat with your doctor to see what is going on. You can't live with a fear of falling like that!

14. RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce Graduate

Oh I wasn't worried about the falling....because my shoe might have caught on the curb.. not sure.. but otherwise I am walking fine.. I am only concerned about me not being able to tie my shoe or put on my sock properly. I went to see the Dr. two months ago .. he took an x-ray and everything was fine.... I just tend to walk too fast. I have to learn to slow down.. Thanks for your concern.. I will go see my Dr when it is my one year anniversary..around August 5th.

I continue to do my exercises and hope that I can tie my shoe and put on my sock properly one day...but if that doesn't happen ...the main thing I wanted to accomplish is to be straight and walk without a lurch and I am doing both.:thumb:

:dancy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.