BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[THR] THR at 29

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Andy097, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome home Andy! Rest, ice, elevate and meds. The sleep thing is the hardest part of this recovery. Happens to everyone. Don't fight it - just nap during the Wimbledon games that aren't moving fast enough! :heehee:

As Jo says - ice is your friend. I will help control the swelling thus the pain. Please don't worry if you develop a lovely bruise. Most of us had them - sometimes down to our ankles!

2. Anniepops

Anniepops Post-Grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Andy, Sorry to hear you are having problems sleeping, getting used to 'having' to sleep on our backs is really difficult but with the help of pillows stacked correctly I did actually get used to it. Pleased you have managed to find a comfy spot on the couch....take it easy and enjoy watching Wimbledon...are you having strawberries and cream with that? :)

3. Elle11

Elle11 Senior

Hi Andy,
    Congrats on coming home and that's great you are starting to feel more mobile.

I am sorry you are having so much discomfort/pain associated wiht sleeping. Did the doctor tell you specifically NOT to sleep on your side for a certain period? I do see some people get that restriction. I also had a posterior and have been on my side (very carefully with pillows between my legs so not to violate the "no crossing the midline rule") as soon as I was out of ICU on Day 2. Perhaps because your operation was more complicated (I am assuming reading your initial post; I just have garden variety arthriris). Maybe you can give him a call and ask if he did not specify?

Good wishes coming your way!
    Elle

4. Andy097

Andy097 New Member

Elle - Whether I could sleep on my side was one of the first questions I asked! I was told quite flatly, that I'd need to sleep on my back for at least the first 6 weeks, but we would review that at the 6 week follow-up. Knowing my luck, I'll have got used to it by then and will find it weird going back to sleeping in my usual foetal position!

Have the Andy Murray match lined up to watch this afternoon, so about to take my first venture out of the house post-surgery for a trip to the shops.....I may well go with Anniepops suggestion and get some strawberries to watch the tennis with!

5. paul-crip

paul-crip Junior Member

Hi Andy

It gets easier mate, just give it time. Keep posititive and let us know how you keep progressing, cheers Paul

6. adaflorida

adaflorida Member

I'm with Jo.... ICE is your FRIEND!

Wow, 29? Just amazing. Here in Sarasota, everyone is looking at me (and saying) as if I were 29... and, I feel (felt) older than GOD.

Even though I know you are on your way to recovery, what touched me about your story was how this would affect you professionally. I am no Military expert by any means, but I hope there is a way for you to stay "hired" even with your THR but in a different capacity; again, forgive my naiveity about Military.

Back to the ice. Here in FL, at supermarkets, I am able to buy a 10 lb bag of ice which in length just about matches the length from the top of my hip to just above my knee.... and boy, oh boy, it feels good. Elevation is SO important as I have learned from the nurses here; I do find that the adjustment of pillows is a big pain, but nothing compared to the chronic pain I have gone through for the last two years.

I wish you the best and look forward to reading about your upcoming recovery!

Alicia - Sarasota, FL

7. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
  8. Andy097

Andy097 New Member

Well I'm now just over 2 weeks post-op, so thought I should update on my progress (since I've been particularly bad at doing so!).

Everything seems to be going much better now; mobility is far greater, pain is greatly reduced, bruising and swelling are reducing and I'm sleeping much better. I've managed to reduce my pain meds down to 2x500mg paracetemol 4 times per day, having dispelled the need for ibuprofen or tramadol. I should probably point out that I've reduced the meds simply as I'm not in that much pain....not through any irrational fear of addiction! (which gets mentioned on here often!)

After initially struggling to sleep, I eventually gave up trying to sleep on my back (which I was told I must do for the first 6 weeks and just wasn't working) and started sleeping on my front. As someone with an engineering background, I couldn't understand any possible logic as to why sleeping on my front would be any different to my back (surely the mechanics were the same, providing I took care getting into position). The difference was huge, and I'm now able to sleep for up to 6 or 7 hours straight on a good night.

I have a family friend who's an experienced hospital physio that agreed with my theory on sleeping on my front. Her opinion was that I should sleep any way that was comfortable provided I don't allow my legs to cross the midline and I don't break the 90 degree rule.......funnily enough that seems to chime with most opinion on here!! However, she did chastise me today for standing up from the sofa and walking a couple of steps unaided to pick up the phone.

Her comments confirmed my fears. Now that I'm over the initial stages of being restricted through pain and lack of movement, I'm now going to need to reign myself in somewhat. Although I've yet to really get out and about, I should probably be more careful in the house, using my crutches at all times, even if I can manage without them. I guess it's my usual attitude of pushing the boundaries and testing myself.......instead, I just need to be patient for these first 6 weeks to ensure a better result in the long run!!

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for "bags of ice" in Scotland, so I've resorted to bags of frozen peas which are making an excellent substitute to help control my swelling!

9. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Hey Andy

I have been looking forward to getting an update from you :)

You sound right on target for two weeks.. Glad you have found a comfortable sleeping position. It does make a difference getting a decent sleep.

Also, with your pain meds, I was down to paracetamol (same dose, same time frame) at the two week mark following discharge. Same for me, not for any other reason than I simply did not have any pain.

I like your positive attitude and the fact that you know yourself well enough to recognize that you have to pull back on the enthusiasm to push your boundaries. I see it over and over again where this results in a set back.

Stay well, you are doing fantastically.. Glad the frowzen peas are doing the trick :)

10. sharonslp

sharonslp Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Shhh....don't tell anyone....I walk unaided to the bathroom. It's only a few steps from my bed, and if I'm in the right stage of my med cycle, I walk almost perfectly. Keep this between us please; all the other Bonesmarties will scold me royally if they find out.

So we are all hooked now on your story of needing a career change in your life, and are eagerly awaiting news of what windows you decide to open since your Military door has closed.

I have a soft spot for Scottish men. Bagpipes and kilts....it's a killer combo. :)

Keep the updates coming...we all need good reading material as we recuperate.

Sharon

11. Poppet

Australia Australia
    Ah ah! Caught you out Sharon sharonslp;

But you are an old hand at this and know what your boundaries are :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.