BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Thoughts on Rehab Facility after Hospital Stay

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Joni, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joni

Joni Member

According to plan, My surgery is on a Monday, and released on Thursday.
    l either go home or go to a Rehab facility.

I would like to go home, but there are good and bad things about it I have found. If I go home, I will have PT come to the House about 3 times a week. and have a visiting nurse come to check my incision and maybe take out staples if I have to have them.

If I go to a Rehab facility, of course I will get more PT at least 4 times a day. I visited a facility yesterday, and it was nice, but I would really like to go Home.

I know I will become anxious being away from from home and cooped up in a hospital. I would like to be home with my family. I know the decision is not mine to make, and I understand that they will probably know within 48 hours of surgery whether I will go to Rehab.

I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or what thier experiences were. Like how long somebody stays in rehab is it just a few days? or a long time? :evil:

Joni (Queen Fan!!! HA!!!) For you Jo !!!!!:hehe::hehe:
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Joni, as long as you have someone around to help you at home and access to the visiting nurse and therapy like you mentioned, the choice to go home or to rehab should be yours. I can't imagine a situation where your doctor would force you to go to a rehab center. Remember, you are the customer!

Some people prefer a rehab center for a few days (even up to a week or so - again, the choice would be yours). The focused therapy can give your recovery a jump start. But....many, many people prefer to be at home in their own surroundings.

So I would just relax....keep both options open for now....and make the decision about whether or not to go to a rehab facility and for how long once you are on the other side of surgery.
  3. Joni

Joni Member

thanks jamie you are right
  4. KM253

KM253 Member

Joni,
    If you're in relatively good health, I'm told that insurance companies don't like to pay for rehab. When I was doing one knee at a time I was told I probably wouldn't get approved. Now that I'm doing both, I'm told I will probably be approved for it.

Kathy
  5. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I think you may be okay going home, especially if you are leaning towards it and think you would feel more comfortable home.

I was just so scared I went to rehab and Doc advised it for me. I went back up to the rehab place a few weeks ago, asked them if they'd had many bilaterals, they said they thought more were going home straight. So like Jamie said, it is up to you. Good luck in whichever way you decide.

My rehab was a week.
  6. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Joni..

I went to a rehab facility after each of my replacements. It is best go to facility that specializes in orthopedics. My day began early with vital signs, lab work, medications. Then occupational therapy (OT) came for shower and dressing. (This was nice because most of the time at home you cannot shower until 2 wk checkup) Then breakfast. Then physical therapy (PT) and OT for an hour each. Back to room. Lunch. Rest time. PT and OT in afternoon usually a total of about an hour. Sometimes we had group OT-- cooking class, volleyball, and Wii bowling.

I have a wonderful husband at home however he was not ready to care for me in my immediate after surgery state. My insurance is very good so we took the opportunity to go ' to rehab. I am convinced that it was responsible for by great start.

You are young. If you have someone who can help care for you at home. Then home care will be awesome for you (that is....as long as you do not try to overdo). If you think you may need just a little more help, then I would choose rehab.

Which ever you choose, I am sure you will have a great recovery.
  7. reneee

reneee Senior

I was wondering the same thing. Glad to know that. I don't want have to go to Rehab either.
  8. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

I would love to share what I found out. I visited three rehab places. The first one had no one there less than 300 years old. It was supposed to be "high end" whatever that means. The staff was not smiling (red flag). I was very upset when I left. The second one was just ok. But when I looked at the bathroom I found a low toilet (really low) with bars on the walls. When I questioned, they said that for the two weeks, I would use a bedside commode. I said..I want to be able to NOT need that..and don't we all worry about how we will manage our personal hygiene. Their attitude, for me, really was bad. Then I went to the Hyatt. See if there is a Hyatt Classic near you. What a difference. They have fresh flowers and white tablecloths in the dining room..concerts in the evenings..the staff was all smiling and friendly to each other. You could tell it was a family. There are quite a few of them all over the country. I am on Medicare and have great secondary coverage so my time will be covered. Hopefully they will have a bed available. I think sending chocolate covered strawberries BEFORE my surgery may help <g>

I feel that I will get much more help being in rehab..and that the pressure will not be on my loved ones. Time enough once I get out and need the help. I have a great support system with 4 adult children but like every parent..we like to spare out kidlets..no matter how old they are.

I seriously feel tht I will get much more out of the rehab by going to a facility and being forced to do some of the things that I will make excuses for at home.

If you do look at facilities, please take the time to look at the rooms and bathrooms..and talk to the PT staff. I think that is more important than the food.

On another note food..Most communities have Meals on Wheels. This is not related in any way to income..but if you can move around and cook and shop. I have just had another injury to my knee so while I await the big surgery, I have contacted Meals On Wheels to bring me the food. It is $1.80 a day here..(I am in the San Francisco Bay Area) and I think it will help me a lot. Hopefully it is nicer than Lean Cuisine.

I recommend for those of you that are towards the senior age group, to contact your local senior community services and see what is available. I know that we have free transportation to medical appts etc which will be of great help when I start to use out pt PT and cannot drive.

Hope that these little tidbits have helped.

Merry
    • Like Like x 3
  9. reneee

reneee Senior

I really doubt if my insurance would cover it. Our health insurance at one time was very good (of course, we never had to use it). Since the economy has gotten so bad, every year our coverage changes. It is better than none at all. The letter the insurance sent me with the approval, stated that they have approved 2 days, and, if more days is needed, it will have to be approved.

Where 10 years ago, we had a million dollar lifetime coverage- $400 ded., 80/20 coverage, has now went down to $35,000 per year , it doesn't even mention lifetime anymore, $900 ded., 70/30 to include only 2 dr. visits per year after the ded.

With it being so early in the year and if my replacement costs say $35,000, I am without medical coverage for 9 months. So for me, Rehab actually isn't an option.
  10. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I think you will be okay Renee. I would tell ya if I didn't think so.

My insurance, my fault for not checking as times are hard, thought catastrophic paid anything/everything over 10K. Nope. No Dr. visits, no x-rays, no PT or OT, no RX out of hospital, no amublatory. If I had known that, I would have had a breast reduction in December, for real to get my 15k's worth....
    • Like Like x 1
  11. reneee

reneee Senior

Thank you Helen!!! After this is all over and done with, we should meet somewhere half way. Did you say you were near Atlanta? :D

P.S. My granddaughter's name is Helen Claire, she is named after my husband's mom, who is the sweetest lady in the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Right outside of Atlanta in Vinings!! My Mom and her Mom were Helen's; and daughter's name is Helen, although is called by a different middle name. :pzld:
  13. reneee

reneee Senior

My mother n law, bless her heart, is the sweetest and best mother n law, one could ask for. She has Alzheimer’s.
  14. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

So sorry to hear that. : (

Never had to deal with that in our parents, but have friend who does.
  15. cindy88fan

cindy88fan Supremo

O.K....here's my story on Rehab/PT. I live by myself. I had both knees replaced at the same time. I did not want to stay in a Rehab place...I wanted to go home. So what I did was I had a friend stay with me for one week....why....I don't know because all she did was watch TV and occasionally fix a frozen meal for me she also brought her 2 year old son with her to stay at my house who colored on my walls..anyways that wasn't much help. But I was able to do a lot on my own believe it or not.

I did have a wheel chair around in the kitchen so I could fix things and sit down when I needed to. I had Home Health Care come on Mondays to check my blood. Home PT came to my house 3 times a week for 2 weeks until I was able to go to the hospital for out-patient PT. The home PT gave me a work-out routine to do 3 times a day on my own....which I will admit....did it too any times a few days and paid for it the next day...So keep this in mind...if they tell you to do it a certain number of times...DO IT...DON'T DO MORE BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU CAN....!

As far as food goes...what I did was I had a bunch of food prepared before my surgery and I put them in serving bowls and placed them in the freezer. The weekend before my surgery a bunch of girls that work for me came over and we had one huge cooking party. They all brought their own ingredients to make special dishes for me! It was fantastic and so sweet of them.

So if you want to come home after your surgery and you have friends or family that can come check on you once in a while then go for it. It's a decision you need to make along with your OS. My OS said it would be no problem for me to go home. Best of luck on your decision!!
  16. Galcyclist

Galcyclist Junior Member

I really appreciate all the comments in this thread and this is an issue that is weighing on my mind as I approach surgery next week. I live alone too and have friends lined up to stay with me.

But just in case, I have chosen a rehab center and have scheduled to go there from the hospital.

I am really hoping to go home, but want to have all my bases covered in case I don't think I can make it. Figure out I won't really know until I see how I feel on the other side!
  17. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Excellent planning strategy, Jen....you can always opt to go on home after surgery if that feels like the best decision.
  18. Galcyclist

Galcyclist Junior Member

Thanks Jamie--I kinda thought so too! :wink: Not like I can't cancel the rehab center.
  19. Simon

Simon Graduate

Make absolutely sure that your insurance company will cover inpatient rehab and many will not unless all their requirements are needed. Also, rehab centers have requirements on who they can admit (it is a werid Medicare requirement). If you go to rehab make sure you have a precertification approval otherwise nothing will be covered. I have pretty good insurance and I could not get a firm yes or no till I was in the hospital.

I went to inpatient rehab as I had bilaterals and live alone and no family or friends close by as well as being in a rural area so it would have been difficult to be home alone. I also had a minor break in the tibia so I could not put full weight on 1 leg.

As you find out rehab centers really very from really being nursing homes, to ones more use to strokes and things. You do need to find one that has alot of experience with joint replacements. The hospital I went to had an inpatient unit and they were very good.

Simon
  20. reneee

reneee Senior

Insurance and cost is possibly one reason I do not want to go to rehab. But I think for me going home afterwards would help me more mentally and physically. My husband is planning on taking some vacation days. One of my daughters lives near by, she is going to come and help out with meals or whatever I need. I live a mile and half from the hospital. My neighbor is an EMS if I needed him. My son lives about half mile.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.