TKR This Teacher's TKR Recovery Journey

Kazilla

senior
Country
United States United States
I have made it to the other side. :yahoo:

The first day was a little rough, but it is now day two. I did manage three foot walk with walker, and a transfer from recliner back to bed. Was getting a bit light headed and nauseous, probably due to not taking one of my bp meds due to its possible interaction with anesthesia.

The nurses are not quite as "on the ball" so I will definitely need to be. My request for pain med one time fell between the cracks due to shift change. I drifted back off and was an hour over the time and woke in pain. I needed to ask for leg to be evlevated, after I felt it swelling. After requesting the polar ice pad be put back on, they forgot after my transfer to bed, it took awhile but realized there was no ice in unit and it was not cold.

I've got my phone alarm set, just in case I am asleep. Will check pad during each med. I will make sure the leg is elevated properly, etc

On funny note...one time I woke to my two boys sharing one big chair (sleeper one) in my room. Both on their phones being held and sunglasses in exact same positions. :)

Congratulations on the new knee. I hope the nursing staff get their act together soon, it sounds as if you need more consistent care. Good job you are organised and know what to ask for.
Wishing you a good recovery.
Love, Tabby xxx

Thanks @Tabbycat .

So glad I brought sleep mask. 5:15am wake up for vitals and blood draw. So he needed the main light on. My main nurse did combine my pain med and blood thinner shot time at 4 as not to wake me a 6, but guess vitals/blood nurse didn't get memo. :eyebrows:

Welcome to recovery.
You seem to be managing well so far. Keep on top of the pain medications, even if it means you have to keep reminding the nurses.

Here is your recovery reading list:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
-rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. Exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

When you feel able, please will you modify your Signature, to show the actual date of your TKR?
Hover over your username, top right of the page, and select Signature from the drop-down box. Enter your surgery details and then save. This article also explains how to do it:
How to create a signature
If you can’t do it, please let us know, so that we can do it for you.

Best wishes for continued good progress. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:
Thank you.

Everyone came all at once at just after 8. My meds, my vitals, my OT, my PT, even my tray (they forgot to move me over to regular diet). PT is waiting until I eat since I haven't had solid food since Monday's breakfast. I'm a little light headed still, hopefully real food will help with that.

Was able to wash around, and had dressing change. Doc wasn't able to do MIS, but not sure why. The incision looks good.

First PT was rough. Probably due to eating so close to it due to diet mixup. Time to snooze for a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy you're during well. I kept my phone alarm set a few minutes before my meds were due so I could give the nurse a heads up it would be time for my meds in a few minutes.

Hope you have a quick recovery and can get home really soon.

Got my phone alarm set. Been very good about that. I have noticed it takes about 15 minutes from when I call, so I set alarm to match it.

Did second, longer, walk today. Tried to get into the car they have in therapy room. Got half in today. Hoping to get all in tomorrow.

I hope you have a smooth recovery. I love the story about your boys! They sound like my daughter (20 years old).

Day 2
Just got done with group PT. I'm getting 0-79°. 90° is the magic number. Walking is getting easier than it was yesterday.

Day staff is wonderful. Night staff, not so much. They made it seem like I was inconveniencing their social hour. After a midnight bathroom trip, they put on cuff and forgot to plug it in, and forgot ice therapy wrap. I was so exhausted I didn't realize till my next med alarm on phone went off hours later.

Not sure if they will discharge me today or tomorrow. Just did two stairs today, up is ok, down I need help still. Could only get halfway in mock car yesterday, will do another attempt after lunch today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3...my release day :yay:

Last night, staff again so-so, but had a great CNA. Helped so much today when I told him I was swelling a bit this morning. Tilted the bed at angle so it would go down. I told nurse last night, and he was"well that is to be expected", and proceeded to give me my evening meds including a benadryl to help me rest.

After just a few min with foot actually raised, I can start to feel a difference. Can't wait to get home and get in my own bed tonight.

@Kazilla there is nothing better than being in your home and bed when we are not feeling well...wishing you a speedy recovery

Home is always the best place to be. I went home and immediately elevated my leg to get the swelling down. It felt so good when I powered up my ice machine and iced it to my heart's content.

I am ending up with two ice therapy machines. I had asked insurance and doctors office prior, they said no. So I bought one. I get in my hospital room and then I'm told I get to take this unit home. That my doc makes sure all patients have one. So now I have one for bedroom and one for family room. Nobody has to drag it back and forth. Or....can ice both sides at same time :rotfl:Good thing I opted to get a bunch of those freezer blocks for it. Had my son put other half of them in freezer.

Yes, can't wait to be in own bed with my foot elevator, and not be woken by a parade of people beginning at 5am with blood draw. That sleep mask was very, very, worth it when they turned on overhead lights for that. The hypnosis helped on an especially painful night, will continue with that. Chap stick, good to keep lips from drying out. I also got ok, and brought some flavored drops for water so I would stay hydrated. Oversized T-shirt and shorts were perfect for my stay too.

That's all for now. Off to "camp" (what they call group PT.

No problem @uva55 . Just passing on what helped me, to hopefully help others. Next adventure today...getting in my truck to go home.

Welcome home, @Kazilla . I hope et journey home in the truck went OK.
Now you'll be able to get into your own routine, without being disturbed all the time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member