Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much ladies! What an awful week this has been and I so glad it's almost over with! I have always had a fear of dentists. I had my first tooth pulled when I was around 6. In my preteens, the dentist filled all of my teeth without Novocaine. That was extremely painful. When I became an adult I wouldn't go unless I had a toothache and it was too late to save the tooth. So, I'm pretty snaggled-toothed! This one today was a nightmare! This tooth had never hurt, but I was told at the per-surgerical dental exam that the side and root had decay on it, so I chose to take it out. Guess it'll be years more before I go again. I pray that I'm healed by the 2nd of June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dental story and experiences mirror mine almost exactly! I'm very hard to numb so all my dental work as a girl was done basically without any numbing, including root canals! Now, I'm paranoid of dentists. Luckily I've found a wonderful, patient dentist who takes the time to explain everything and make sure I'm totally numb before he touches my teeth. Recently I needed to have three teeth in three different areas removed, so I had the oral surgeon put me under totally as it was more than I could take. I'm missing a lot of teeth also, and as soon as I recover from Tuesday's surgery, I begin the process for partials. Getting older sure is rough.....but beats the alternative I guess. You have three weeks until your surgery-I'm guessing you should be healed enough by then.

Update on my tooth extraction. Now that I can see what the dentist did, she actually drilled down the whole front of the tissue all the way down the length of the root. It was the bottom tooth right under the eye tooth. She was a butcher! I guess by using the drill it wasn't considered surgery. I have at least a 1/4"x 1" hole all the way down on the outside where the root was. No wonder it hurts! I'll have to do a whole lot of healing before the 2nd.! Oh well, God's will be done! He knows best!

Oh my goodness, my eyes are watering just reading your last post. You were very brave!
I'm praying for good healing for you.
Love Tabby xxx

Thank you so much, Tabbycat. I wish I had never gone to the dentist. My tooth didn't hurt at all and I never even saw a cavity. She said it was on the back side and down part of the root. But, it didn't hurt!! I bet I could have waited at least 6 months or so before having a problem. But, as I said before...God's will be done! If I heal in time, OK. If not, OK.

I'm so sorry that the tooth surgery was so extensive. It makes me shudder to think of it. Your attitude is great. What will be will be. Acceptance is the best path here. I hope for fast healing for you.

Thank you, Floridagal!

You should heal in plenty of time, but goodness, that dentist should have explained the procedure to you! It certainly doesn't sound like a simple extraction. I hope she gave you good aftercare instructions.

No, it certainly was not a simple extraction. I took her the xrays and she should have said she couldn't do it. I received no aftercare instructions except to come back and have my partial relined in a few months. I went online and researched what to do. I will not go back there! If I have any problems with this I'll go to someone else.

What a horrible experience! I honestly think you should contact an oral surgeon and get checked out. It sounds to me like the dentist you had was in way over her head with this procedure. You don't want to risk an infection or other mouth problems that could impact you later. I know you're probably very wary of dentists now, but get some reassurance that all is okay and advise about after care.

• Agree
Reactions: Suz
@Jamie, I am feeling a little better today and I'm sure once the stitches dissolve I'll feel much better. I'm on Clindanycin, 300mg 4x a day to keep the chances of infection down. I talked to my OS's PA this morning and she said he said to keep on schedule, that I should be OK by the 2nd. If not, I'll just postpone it. I have already found another dentist that's in my network, so if a program arises I'll go to him. Thanks for your reply.

My stitches in my mouth came out this morning! I'm still sore, but much better than last week this time! It will be a few more days before I can wear my bottom teeth to eat, but at least I can wear them otherwise now so I don't look so snaggle-toothed!

My coach and I go for the joint class Monday morning. It's about an hour away in Richmond's rush hour traffic so we'll have to allow at least a couple of hours drive time. After the class I go for pre-op testing. If everything turns out good there, and my OS is happy with my mouth on the 2nd., then everything's a go! I just pray that God's will is done! If so, it will be a positive outcome! Then as soon as I can, I'll have the left one done. A new life is ahead of me! I'll be able to do those things I haven't been able to do for years! Yippee!

You have a great attitude. I am so happy that things are beginning to go your way. It has been a rough couple of weeks.

Yes, all the best with your joint class and pre op, and praying your mouth will be all healed up in time.
Love, Tabby xxx

Thank you, Tabbycat and Floridagal. Your prayers have certainly helped me!

I'm glad the stitches are out and you are healing well. I liked going to the joint class so I had an idea about the post op care in the hospital and you get to meet some of the people who will be taking care of you.

I'm looking forward to it and not looking forward to it! That's me wishy washy!

It's perfectly normal to feel that way! I did! Now I'm glad it is done and I'm on the road to recovery! My baby knees are almost 4 week. You will be there before you know it!

:goodpost: I'm right at 3 weeks post-op now and totally agree with tjcteacher! Having the support of bonesmart members & the education found here, your post-op medications, pillows to elevate on, pain relieving ice, these will see you through to recovery!

Even time passes allot faster for me post-op! Just a few days ago I was stressing my replacement so much. Now I've already graduated from the walker to a cane and glory-be, I'm walking allot stronger and with a little less pain every day! I'm SOOO happy I didn't cancel, (I almost did)! You've got this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties