Thinking of Canceling Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

sistersinhim

Staff member since March 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
My BP has increased 20 points since my surgery date is getting closer. Also, I have only slight pulses in my feet and my left ankle is swollen after being on it a little while. It's OK when I first wake up, but not later on. These feet and ankle problems have been for years, but not my blood pressure. I'm thinking I can try some more cortisone shots for a while. I am praying for an answer. I don't want this surgery to kill me before I do it! I even lost 12 pounds. My BP shouldn't be up. Has to be stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
My blood pressure is usually very good but the months leading up to surgery it increased to a level that they almost put me on meds for it. If you have doubts about having the surgery then by all means speak to your regular doctor and also your OS and voice your concerns.

Thank you. I guess I'm not the only one to have a BP increase before hand. I will keep an eye on it. I don't want to have to go on meds!

I guess I'm not the only one to have a BP increase before hand.
Not at all. My BP goes though the roof at every pre-op assessment. You are not alone.

Do you have a BP monitor at home? Just start taking your BP regularly and chart the results. I think you will find the stress of pending surgery is causing this increase. My GP refused to prescribe medication for this BP increase and actually wrote a letter to the surgeon to that effect.

You will be fine @sistersinhim . Don't even think about cancelling your op. Life begins after your TKR!

Yes, I have a wrist bp monitor. At home when relaxed, it's hangs around 125/65, which is OK, but at my PCP surgery release appointment Monday, she had to test it 3 times to get it under 140! I don't remember the 2nd number, but it was OK. At Walmart today it was 140/82. This has me concerned. Of course, it's been a bad few days. I had a kitty that was sick and had to be put down yesterday. I haven't gotten over that yet. And I have to have a tooth pulled Friday. I'm concerned it won't be healed enough by the 2nd. It was supposed to be pulled last Friday, but they cancelled. I had already explained that I'm on a time-restraint here, but they still put me off a week! My OS will not do the surgery is there is any opened spot where the tooth came out. I guess time will tell how that goes! Thanks for listening!

I have really good blood pressure on a regular basis-something like 110/60. When I went in for my pre-op recently, it was up to 160/90. I never have that high a reading. Even after telling me to relax and breathe calmly for a bit, it was still something like 140/80. The same thing happens when I'm in the pre-surgical area-it gets really high and I'm shaking like a leaf. The anesthesiologist always has to give me some pre-op meds to relax me. I suspect most people have the same reaction. But, when I go for my post-op appointments it's always back to normal.

Oh, bless you, you have got a few troubles at the moment, and none are helping the blood pressure. But it is usually normal, so maybe you'll be alright. So sorry to hear about the kitty, that is sad, and the tooth extraction an additional worry, though by three weeks the soft tissues should be pretty much healed. I really hope everything works out for you.
God bless,
Love Tabby xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am a ball of nerves right now and it's still 3 weeks away! I will rely on pray more and of course, my wonderful friends on BoneSmart! I think you all have eased my mind and will probably go on with the surgery. I just called about my blood work and that came back fine. Over one hurdle!

Try to calm your fears. Reading lots of information seems to help. I had two knees replaced on April 26 and I don't regret it for a minute. It will be okay.

Thanks to all of you. You have helped me tremendously! So far, I for having it done again.

I had a tooth pulled about 3 weeks before surgery, it healed just fine, no problem. Sigh, don't forget to Breathe!
:flwrysmile:

Your anxiety is actually something a lot of people feel. So try not to worry about it. Your medical team has seen this before and knows how to deal with it. Here's hoping your tooth extraction goes smoothly. In all this, you can only do your best with these challenges that pop up before a big surgery like your TKR. It will all work itself out and you'll be working with a new, improved knee here before you know it!

Having my tooth pulled at 10am this morning. Please say a pray for me and for it healing in time for my tkr.

Healing prayers coming your way, and don't forget to rinse with salt water. You will heal fine.
Love, Tabby xxx

Thank you for the tip! That's a good one that I didn't think of! And I have sea salt. When swimming in the ocean my booboos would heal really quickly!

I hope all went well with your tooth extraction this morning.

Oh man. It was awful! She pulled, pushed, dug all around it and it wouldn't come out. Finally, she had to file down the bone to get it out. She said the root was really long. I have a bunch of stitches and am already swelling. I'll be icing quite a bit for the next few days. The dentist said she put something in it to help it heal quickly. I pray so! Don't want to have to postpone my surgery. Unfortunately, my brother is having a retirement party/cookout that I have to go to tomorrow. This girl won't be doing any eating, that's for sure! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Ugh...I'm so sorry-I hate dental work....so much so that last time I needed an extraction I had them knock me out! Hoping you feel better soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie