themess is on the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's a pretty sight. I wish you the best with the other knee........you've set the bar pretty high. :thmb:

NO, THANK YOU. This website has given me(and others I'm sure) so much USEFUL information. Information that helps let us know that our situation is not unique that we are actually part of a larger community. That community has a group of people in it that have and has had a wide spectrum of problems, questions and answers. I can imagine it becomes almost like actual work for yo and the others but it has never come across that way. I especially enjoy your British sense of humor and disdain at times when it is needed. I feel like everyone on the "BoneSmart" staff tries to keep this site uplifting but still maintain the reality of the individual's personal situation. Keep up the great work and I'll be hanging around too.

themess

themess, thank you so much for that wonderful post! ......But posts like yours make us (Jamie, Jaycey, Tim and me) realise that we provide a service which many find the last line in their search. It's wonderfully satisfying to see them progress on and eventually come back to say "Hey guys - everything is really good now"! :th_yay: Long may it continue!

Boy, I'll second your post, Jo!!!

Themess....your comments made my day. We get a TON of personal satisfaction from helping people get through surgery and recovery. It is always heartwarming to see people emerge with new life on the other end of the process. But it is also nice to hear that we have made a difference.

We are blessed to have some of our BoneSmarties decide to stay on and help others as they have been helped by the family here. Your marvelous sense of humor is a special treat and I do hope you can stay with us for a long while.

Thanks Jamie, I have meant every word of it but now get ready because I don't think you'll be disappointed to read this report:wow:

And I mean WOW, it is 1 week since my LTKR surgery (actually at this time they were still working on me). I just got back from my second PT and the results were unbelievable. Let me start off by saying that yesterday I took the dog for a walk at the local park one lap is a little over 1/3 of a mile. No pain just a little tried, didn't want to do to much because of PT today. Ok, I go to PT, first I get a deep massage to help push the fluid up my thigh and away from my knee. Then they start on extension by straightening my leg and putting heavy pressure down on my thigh above the knee. I have to admit this is the first time I have experienced any real pain since I came out of the operating room and it was up there around a good solid 8(I'm such a wuss). They did this three times and it really got my attention, after a few moment to catch my breath they started working on my flexation. I hung my leags over the bench and they started flexing no pain and it actually felt good. When they were done my extension was at 3 and my flex at 110 and this was my second PT session. For reference before surgery I was at 16 and 118 so I gained 5 degrees over all:egdnc:

When I got up from the this first part of PT and walked to the other end of the gym my leg had not felt that good in probably 15 years. They then put me on the recumbent bike and I did that at level 2 for 8 minutes at 45 rpm(ok all you cyclist back off I am not used to the recumbent type bike I usually do about 75-80 rpm, gime a break it's only been 1 week since surgery. Jeez, tough crowd). Then went over to the total gym and did 2 sets of 20 squats and toe press ups. Then to the leg extension pull where the put a strap around your ankle and you extend your leg then pull up weights drawing your foot back under you, did 30-40, not sure, lost count. Then they had me lay down, put 4 electronic stimulators 2 above and 2 below either side of the knee, then wrapped an ice pack around my knee and put a air compression wrap over that. They blew up the air bag so it was tight, then gave me the controls to electron stimulater and said to increase it as I wanted for the 10 mintues. After that I was done for this session go back tomorrow. Hope results will be as good even if they stay the same or drop off a little. They said I would be sore tonight but so far no pain and my leg feels really good. I took 1 325 mg Percocet at 10 am before PT at noon and feeling good now at about 5pm. :thmb: I forgot to add, so far the swelling is less, woohoo.

More tomorrow after PT.

Good luck and be positive.
themess

Wow, that was quite a workout for one week out! I'm glad you're icing. If you have no pain, that will be great. But....keep your eye out for any pain and swelling....that would be a cue to scale it back a bit.

I'd say you ARE doing fabulous, though!!!

Wow, Wow, and Wow! You are amazing - a real inspiration to those of us with surgery looming. Thanks for sharing :)

Third session of PT and the results were not as impressive as the second one but still moving forward. Extension about the same and flexation a little less(some swelling). Got back on the bike for 8 minutes again and did better, upped the resistance level and was able to maintain 55-60 rpm peaked at 80 once and held 70+ at different times. I am not to comfortable on a recumbent bicycle it seems to put more pressure on my hips when I pedal but I did better today. They had me do a new machine, they put a strap behind your knee and then place you foot on a 45 degree block, heel at the low end. Then pull the weighted strap back with just your knee without raising your heel. This was a tough one to do. They are trying to work on my extension to help loosen up my ROM. Not a great day but moving anyway. I'll take the dog for a walk a couple times over the weekend to get some exercise she'll like that. Rest for the most of the weekend then hit it again Tuesday and hopefully keep improving.

Good Luck and be positive

themess

themess....you are doing absolutely incredible!! Thanks for sharing those pics of your knees....wowee!!!!! thats a definite for the poster of Before and After a TKR! Continued good luck to you!!!

Do remember that your body needs a bit of a "recoup" on the days you don't have therapy. So don't plan too much activity and allow your muscles time to rebound from your PT.

Got back from walking the dog did a bit less than 3/4 of a mile this time if there is not to much swelling I think I'll shoot for 1 mile tomorrow. I've dropped using the cane around the house but still use it when I go outdoors(security blanket:th_blush:). I may try tomorrow with out using it but I'll carry it with me.

RuppBike there was some swelling from the 2 back to back PT sessions but it went down pretty good by this afternoon so I went for the walk. I'm icing and elevating now so I hope to be able to do the mile tomorrow.

Recycled, definitely do the ice and elevation whenever you can. I may be doing these other active things but I would bet that since I got out of the hospital I've spent 90+ percent on my back in bed or the recliner. And every 1-2 hours with ice on my knee. Actually I ordered a couple of flexible ice gel wraps and they do a great job. They last about 30 minutes which is the right amount of time. One of the wraps will go completely around my knee. They have Velcro straps so I can walk around with them on if I want to.

Ruppbike, I read the post of yours that mentioned all the snow, that's one thing I don't have to deal with in SoCal. Been in the 70s and 80s lately. So when getting out to walk the weather isn't a problem. But I do have to drive a couple hours to snowboard or SKI when the knee is doing good enough again. but that will probably have to wait until next season.

Well gonna rest up for tomorrow and see if I can do the mile, that would be cool I haven't walked a mile in probably about 9 years since we went to Yellowstone and walked around the geysers by Old Faithful. That's when I first noticed what my wife had been telling me for years that my leg was bowed. I was walking back to the car with the sun at my back and saw my shadow with the left leg bowed out that's when I realized I had a problem. So tomorrow maybe a milestone of sorts.

Good luck and be positive

themess

Do remember that your body needs a bit of a "recoup" on the days you don't have therapy. So don't plan too much activity and allow your muscles time to rebound from your PT.

Thanks Jamie, I'm trying to stay on top of this so I don't have the 'BIG" set back but so far I've been lucky by resting most of time and elevating and icing(The Ref would be so proud of me):egdnc:

themess

I'm proud of you too! You're doing it just right!

Ok, I was able to walk a mile today the dog was happy:dogkiss:, she doesn't like those short walks. Wussed out and used the cane most of the way, carried it the rest of the way. I think it helps to keep me from going back to my limp that I had for so many years even though my left leg is no longer shorter than the right No swelling yet, I have my knee elevated and iced, feels just fine no pain.

Pt on Tuesday morning and see the OS for my first follow up Tuesday afternoon. Hopefully I'll be cleared to drive so I can go visit the job site and crack the whip a little. I think my guys might be getting a little soft with the boss taking time off. :whis:

Probably take a short walk to tomorrow ,dog is already sad, so I'll be in good shape for PT Tuesday. Overall a pretty good weekend, just didn't really accomplish much other than make a now permanent butt imprint in the recliner

themess

Sounds like a plan!!!:thmb:

Well 12 days out from LTKR and did my 4th PT session this morning. Good session got 2 extension on my own and with a little push from the therapist she got me down to 0. 109 flex on my own, not to much strain or pain. Then off to the recumbent bike for 8 minutes. I wanted to try and average around 65-70 rpm but was able to average around 75 to 80 with a sprint to 100 and then towards the end of my session a sustained run in the high 98 to 102 in the last minute then a cool down spin. Really felt good, I guess I've gotten the hang of riding the recumbent bike, yeah. Finished off the rest of PT like normal felt really good when I walked out and off to see the OS for my first post-op checkup.

Off to see my OS in the afternoon and the news just got better and better. 12 days from surgery and he was very pleased with my(his) knee. Very little swelling and no "effusion" which I think he explained as no blood or old blood pooling around the knee. He then pushed, pulled, twisted. flexed and generally work over my knee and was very pleased that it didn't fall off:snk: I told him I wanted to give him a big full on kiss on the lips but he said I'd have to talk to his wife she might not approve. He said all my walking, PT and everything else I was doing seemed to be working so keep it up. Tentatively scheduled RTKR for March 31st, hope it goes as good as this one has. It should go even better, the right knee is nowhere as bad as the left was but I know that no two TKRs are the same. But I've got my fingers crossed.

He then released me to basically do whatever I wanted to do. Swim, bike, go back to work, start mowing the lawn(my wife said Yippee), whatever I think I am capable of doing. So tomorrow I'm off on the mtn bike to put in a few miles to see how it feels. I'll let everyone know how the bike ride goes, I need to rest up now so it all goes well. Oh, he did let me give him a big hug just before he left the room.

Been icing and elevating since I got home, still no more swelling than normal for what I've had the last few days, maybe a little less. Gooooooooooood, good day.

Ps, Jo and Jamie, I'll have your words of wisdom guiding me down the road so don't worry. Woohaw.

themess
LTKR 1/13/2011
RTKR 3/31/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MrsFeinbe
Recent bookmarks