BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

themess is on the other side

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by themess, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themess

themess Member

Well I got home about 2 hours ago and everything is unbelievably good I would almost say perfect. I'm walking with my cane and the leg is so straight that I'm having to relearn how to walk like a normal person. No pain to speak of and just a little swelling. Walking all over the place with no pain or sense of lost balance or instability. I"m thinking I am really lucky.

Thanks to all on "Bonesmart", for helping me get this far.

themess
    LTKR Jan13th 2011
    RTKR March or April 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Great! I hope things continue to go well for you! Don't forget to elevate your leg and ice it down some so the swelling won't start.:wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Wow!!!! I'm impressed with how well you're doing! I hope the good reports continue and you are able to move on to Phase 2 of your New Life Plan...TKR #2!
  4. themess

themess Member

Thanks, it is scary though how smoothly and mostly pain free this is going for me . It does make me feel bad that anyone has to suffer from what so for me so far has been a very uncomplicated and fairly pain free surgery. I know my surgeon has a lot to do with my progress. All the physical therapy people were amazed at my progress lack of pain.and I attribute this to one fantastic surgeon.

Yes, I have been icing and elevating between walking and stretching. So far so good. I'll start local pt Monday, hope I don't mess anything up before that.

I forgot when I left the hospital ROM was still at 104 with extension now at -7. It may have been better but the nurse had taped up my leg and knee pretty tightly the physical therapist said and it might have inhibited movement some. I'll find out how I'm doing a little better Monday after pt.

themess
  5. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Jumpin' Jehosaphat - is that what your knee was like? :th_hate-shocked: :th_hate-shocked: :th_hate-shocked:

Never
    seen one like that before (and usually I never say never! :th_heehee:)
  6. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Congrats and welcome to the great side of life! Hope that your recovery and rehab keeps going as well down the road!

Tim C.
  7. themess

themess Member

Yea, I'm #1:th_blush:

Well that's what it looked like 7 months ago. I hadn't seen the xrays from preop last Thrursday but probably not any better:snk:

themess
  8. themess

themess Member

Just got back from the park with my neice,her daughters, my wife, son and dog. Feel fine a bit tired, walked a bit over a 1/4 mile maybe more. No pain, absolutely none. So after I did one lap we sat down watched the kids and dog play, I thought i would maybe do another lap but started feeling tired so headed home. Knee is up and iced and feeling just fine no problems. Took a percocet at 10am this morning, maybe take one later but probably won't need it if it goes like last night. I have been very lucky so far and hope it continues, I only hope that everyone can have the same luck with their TKRs as I am.

Good luck to all
    themess
  9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

That's GREAT, themess!!! Boy that is some knee...it certainly looks like it must have really hurt. You need to find an xray of your new one to compare!
  10. referee54

referee54 Moderator

That really is indeed wonderful news. I am sincerely glad to hear that you are progressing so well.

You know what? You will be amazed as you will actually feel better and better down the road.

Tim C.
  11. themess

themess Member

Ref, thank you. I was really disappointed that I couldn't get a bilateral, like you and Ruppbike from my surgeon. But with the results I've gotten I cannot complain. Looking forward to better things in the future.

themess
  12. bogey

bogey Member

Hi Mess,

Congrats on a spectacular beginning post op. And considering your knee is the scariest thing I ever saw your screen name is perfect! I truly hope your good fortune continues and you are able to write posts like this throughout your recovery. Not so much for those of us who communicate here but for the lurkers; especially those considering this surgery. It seems the lurkers usually outnumber members 3-4-5 to one when I come in here. But due to shyness, nervousness, or whatever, they watch from the sidelines with great interest looking for answers, help or possibly comfort. Unfortunately, about half the posts here are people looking for help because something has gone wrong. Though relatively minor problems, my posts about nighttime sweats or my IT band tightening up come to mind. You're a silver lining on a dark cloud, we need more stories like yours. And I for one, look forward to the rest of yours. All the best for your continued success!

Ron
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ruppbike

ruppbike Sr Bonesmartie

WOW! That is amazing progress! Keep up the great work. You have justified faith in your OS so doing the knees separately for you is probably the best for you. Can't argue with your great results so far. We are all very happy to hear stories like yours. Thanks for sharing it.

Kurt
    • Like Like x 1
  14. greeneyedsis425

greeneyedsis425 Junior Member

Awesome news!! Keep up the good work......and get ready for #2! good luck!!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Recycled

Recycled Senior

the mess,:thmb:

Have to thank you for taking the time to post your results. Squeaky wheel syndrome is usually the norm in most things. It can also be discouraging to constantly hear or read about only the difficulties.
    It's great to hear how well your doing. It gives me a more positive outlook on the possibilities.
    And to anyone else reading this. I emplore you. Please don't forget to take the time to post if your doing really well. I for one, very much look forward to hearing about the really great outcomes. It helps settle the nerves and gives me increased hope. Thanks again :th_yahoo:
    • Like Like x 5
  16. leenie60

leenie60 Graduate

I agree with Recycled - while we all have sob stories to tell it absolutely does help to read about whatever positive steps you may be taking because we take the good with the bad.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. themess

themess Member

I hope it continues, reading your comments I feel somewhat embarrassed and didn't really know if I should post the positive results of my surgery. I'm glad to hear your opinions about my posts because I kinda felt like I was bragging. I'm just amazed that it is going this well for me. I read many ,many of the post and archives before getting on this board and the way I looked at them was this is reality the good and the bad so i had better be ready for what ever happens.

The things that have helped me are:

1. Getting as much information as I could on TKRs

2. Being realistic of the outcome and doing everything I could before surgery to insure success afterwords

3. Staying positive at all times using humor whenever possible making others laugh is a great deterrent to fear and anxiety.

4. Not believing everything I read or hear but putting together a consensus of everything and making my own mind up on the topic.

5. I have complete confidence in myself when I make up my mind to do something and even if doesn't work out I do what ever needs to be done to succeed.

Like I said by doing these posts I feel like I'm bragging but they really are a true account of what I'm going through up to this moment. It may change and I'll post those also (boy I hope it doesn't change). I was thinking of toning down my personal success for fear it would make others think they were doing something wrong but if a few positives posts help then I'll try and keep them,coming (oh please,please,please let me keep them coming).

Bogey, I never gave the lurker aspect a thought but when you mentioned it that was me for a few months. What drew me in, besides the different posts, was Josephine and Jamie's replies to everyone, giving advise and encouragement non stop really impressed me. I'm proud to say I'm a BoneSmarty and have told several friends, relatives and strangers (one tonight while I was out walking to the mailbox again).

There is a kindred spirit on this board and to those that are not a part of it don't wait to join in. It is also very therapeutic to talk and write out your thoughts and fears with your peers (oh no, he didn't say that, ha, made you laugh, guilty). Remember, a bit of pain and discomfort is not the end of your life it's a new beginning(your first beginning was probably pretty painful too) .

I'll keep posting, good luck and be positive

You know I think it really it helps being a motorcyclist, especially an offroad one. You learn to adapt to the situation which is always changing and even more help is a competitive personality.

themess
    LTKR1/13/11
    RTKR March/April/2011

"I feel good"..... baahda,baahda baahda,baah. So good..................... so good................ I got good knee, huuuh! Sorry, it just came to me outa the "blues". Now go do something fun.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. themess

themess Member

Oh come on " recycled" you're not that old. I'm down to 2-325mg Percocets and 1-7.5mg Meloxicam a day now. Maybe it's a good combo that the outer world hasn't heard about yet. Baahda,baahda, oh you know the rest.

themess:th_jumpy:
  19. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    themess, thank you so much for that wonderful post! It's been a long haul on here - 4 years now - and people keep asking the same questions, coming to us with the same problems. I forget how many times!

But I reckon doctors must feel that sometimes as well! Every other patient comes in to their consulting room "Doctor, my hip/knee hurts" :cry1: and then "I have to have a WHAT?
    :th_hate-shocked: Oh my God! That's dreadful!"

But posts like yours make us (Jamie, Jaycey, Tim and me) realise that we provide a service which many find the last line in their search. It's wonderfully satisfying to see them progress on and eventually come back to say "Hey guys - everything is really good now"! :th_yay: Long may it continue!
  20. themess

themess Member

Jamie here is a couple pictures I took of "themess's" NEW KNEE. Ain't it a beaut?(I think that is the proper English terminology)

Check out these attachments:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.