The Countdown begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommaCatt

Country
United States United States
I have a DATE!!!
Surgery is scheduled for July 12th. I am glad it is soon so I don't have much time to worry about getting ready. This "hip thing" has really taken over my life and I am ready to have it back. I shouldn't complain, since I have gone from first x-ray to surgery in less than 3 months, but it went downhill so fast it has been a bit scary. I have had some pain off and on for a few years, but this intense pain is new this year and I am done with it. I want to thank those of you that have posted about not waiting to get this done, the more of those posts I read, the more sure I am of getting it done quickly.

Tagging those whom I have interacted with to keep them updated. @Nana2-8 @DizzyBlond @JMACCA Thanks for your support so far.

Holy Cow!!! @MommaCatt !!! How'd you do that? You only had your OS appointment yesterday and have a date in two weeks or so! Great news? You'll be spinning getting ready but that's a good thing. Will you need to attend a class? Got your PCP appointment for clearance? Teeth tended to? Time to get your walker, toilet seat riser, comfy clothing, stool softeners, bath mat, ice packs, and on and on and on! Throw in 4th of July celebration and it will be here before you know it! And....we'll learn from you!!! What approach are you having? ~ Share, baby, share!

@Nana2-8 I am having Direct Anterior Approach. I have been offered the use of a walker and shower chair, should pick those up this weekend. The hospital does a combination preop testing and joint replacement class appointment, they are to call me to schedule that in the next few days. I need to see about a dentist appointment, ick. I have some nice comfy tshirt dresses and maxi dresses for after. Still so many things to get sorted though. It's like Christmas over here making a list or three and checking it twice. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MommaCatt Wow! That was fast. I go to my hospital and joint class tomorrow. Lots to do to get the house ready so am hoping this "cold" gets better ASAP. Thankfully I have all the gear so am good to go in that department. Grandkids love the grabbers!

That's such great news, @MommaCatt!! Your post encourages me, too - I've been wrestling with the "should I do it?/should I wait?" thoughts for so long. It really does help to hear so many others who know what we're going through say, "I wouldn't have waited so long!!!" I guess in my mind, total disability was the criterion for hip replacement, though my surgeon didn't say that - just ME! HA!
You'll be a week ahead of me.... let's get this thing DONE!!!!! :thumb:
(I know, @Nana2-8 - Catt got things rollng SO fast, didn't she!?!?!)

@MommaCatt - how exciting. The countdown commences.
Get your lists together and prepare for takeoff! :wowspring:
@DizzyBlond - I wouldn't recommend anyone to be tempted to wait any longer than necessary. This OA thing gallops. I'm only a couple of months out of my first THR and have to wait till Sep/Oct for the second. I had a brief period of respite after the first but the one now needing to be done is causing me increasing pain. I'm really keen to have a matching pair so I can get on with my life. Apart from anything else I long to be able to ditch all the meds. I worked out today ther I take newly 80 tablets a week. Imagine how many that will amount to by the time I've recovered from the second one and how grateful my body will be to be able to survive without pain and not reliant on all those pills :roseshwr:

Thank you so much, @Miss Muffet. I have experienced such changes just since March - it's been hard for me to figure out how it could change so quickly. (Both the type and location of the pain is different that it was the first of March.) Thank you so much for your reassurance! I'm concerned, as well, about the same sort of pain now beginning to show up on my "good" side! I didn't have it a month ago - DH thinks it could be compensation for the stilted way I must walk most of the time. I don't know, though.... groin is achey - I think I may be in for the same ride you're on. Did you know going in for your RTHR that you'd also be needing your left hip done?
You're so right about all the medication - living on it (and having it not work so much of the time) is not fun!!! I can't wait to be done with this! And YAY for you - you're half way through!!!!! :happydance:

@belweav thanks for the good thoughts. I will be watching for your recovery story to follow your progress. Good luck on your journey as well.

@Miss Muffet thanks for stopping by and congrats on being halfway through your journey. I have read your recovery thread and appreciate your input. Thank you for sharing.

@DizzyBlond the changes in pain are crazy quick. I was walking normal most of the time until just a few weeks ago and am now looking at getting a cane before surgery. I have a fairly high pain tolerance and am quite stubborn but I refuse to put up with this any longer than I have to. It "the pain" consumes too much of my energy.
Let's do this!!!

@MommaCatt - I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one who feels like the pain changes and increases so quickly! It's hard for me to make sense of, yet maybe that's something I'm learning on this forum - that joint pain seldom follows hard and fast rules. UGH!!! Yes, I SO agree with you - when it starts consuming more energy that could be so much better spent on the people and things we love to do, it's time to get the thing done! You go first, and then I'll follow you into the operating room 3 days later!!! :yes!:

@Me2 - Wow, I was looking at the procedures you've gone through! You've been through so much - I'm so sorry!!! And now you have yet another surgery coming up??? :sad:

@MommaCatt Had my hospital admission and joint class today -- no real surprises. They did a chest x-ray, the blood typing tests in case a transfusion is needed, and the MRSA nose swabs. (My family doctor did a load of general testing last week so he could give clearance). Feel good to go :cool: Upper respiratory infection is improving thank goodness --just have to keep resting. Have a list of exercises to do pre-op so will be busy. :walking:

@Chihuahuan so glad to hear all your pre-op stuff went well and you upper respiratory issues are clearing up. Be gentle with your exercises. [emoji106]

How would you describe what you're experiencing at this point, @belweav? How has it changed from the first symptoms you began to notice to what you're living with now? (I've stopped trying to explain my ever-changing, wide-ranging symptoms to my husband - he now just basically asks, "Is this a good day or a not-so-good day?" :unsure:)

Surgery is scheduled for July 12th

WOW! that is awesome!! I am so pleased for you and it is so lovely not having too much time to 'brood' over - I am totally thrilled for you! :loveshwr:

since I have gone from first x-ray to surgery in less than 3 months, but it went downhill so fast it has been a bit scary

Yep - I hear ya. I have had the same experience. It is lousy!

YAY YOU!!

@DizzyBlond my pain started with what I thought was a groin pull. The next was pain in the thighs. I went through a period where sitting was excruciating. But then if I stood too long I was in agony. I can walk but not for too long. I have muscle twitches that can wake me from a sound sleep. My left hip will be replaced and when then pain got bad, I could only sleep on my left side. Now I can only sleep on my back. My husband tries to help but sometimes he can move my leg and OH My.....

Oh, this is definitely NOT fun, is it, @belweav?!?! Life gets pretty complicated when you can only sit for so long before you need to stand... then need to get off the hip after a short time standing up or bearing walking on it! :what:
Similar symptoms here - groin, top of thigh, snapping and locking of joint, pain on side of hip, and buttock - sometimes all at the same time, other times just one or two at a time! Today is bad - feels like the hip joint is on fire. Time for some ice packs and getting completely off the joint! Hope you've found something to do or watch to keep your mind occupied this afternoon!!! - xoxox
:flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member