BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

synovitis post tkr

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by pippy, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pippy

pippy Member

As the title suggests, can one still get synovium membrane problems post TKR? I was just wondering because one of the problems i had with the Left knee when i was given a partial knee replacement and later proved to be unsuccessful was what the pathology report called haemosiderin stained synovitis which lead to further P-F deterioration and then a synovectomy and chrondroplasty. The uni replacement was performed in Jan 08 followed by TKR in August. The R knee replacement was performed in the December of the same year. I don't know much about this haemosiderin (which i presume is iron related) business and whether it is a possibility that the cause of my angst with the right knee is synovitis related? After all there has been nothing normal about any of these health issues which have plagued me since 05!!

Sorry to put this in a different thread, was worried it would not be seen if i included it in the same old thread!

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Perfectly okay to start a new thread, pippy! And the 'haem' refers to blood, not iron. It means the synovium is blood stained or blood coloured.

It's part of a group of similar conditions going under the general term of pigmented villonodular synovitis.
    In this case, the 'villo' means that inflamed membrane develops with finger like structures similar to this

[​IMG]

Synovium has a habit of adopting all sorts of odd structures when it gets problems!
    In fact, it's not at all dissimilar to synovial chondromatosis which Natalie suffers from.

To address your question, only about half of the synovium is removed from the the joint when a total knee is done. It's entirely possible that it could be rearing its ugly head again. You should get it checked out by your surgeon.

3. pippy

pippy Member

Oh josephine, this is VERY interesting because the origianal surgeon gave me a DVD of the arthroscopy and indeed the synovial membrane was thick as thick with these very thick finger like fronds, and i asked him post op whether i had this condition and he said no. Is the fact i am still getting stinging electric like pricking sort of feelings in both knees, which is on the increase. I wish i had kept the dvd but in changing computers it has vanished, i thought i had kept the dvd itself, but god knows where it's been. I have written this down when i see the new OS tomorrow. Oh and yes i realise haem means blood, but the article i was reading said something about iron, maybe i had momentarily read it incorrectly. Ought i ask him tomorrow if he will do a biopsy of the fluid in the knee. Apparently there is a fair bit, can one tell on the ultrasound whether it is blood or otherwise?? Thank you!! You are a mind of information !!!

4. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    @Josephine:

Pippy, I'm tagging Jo to be sure she sees your latest post and question.

5. Josephine

Not quite sure what you mean by this?

6. pippy

pippy Member

i.e. can it be decided whether the fluid is blood or just ordinary fluid visible on ultrasound is what i mean?

7. Josephine

Ah gotcha! Well, it doesn't really matter, actually but no, an ultrasound won't be able to tell the difference. Nor would an MRI.

8. pippy

pippy Member

I have no visible swelling outside the knee which seems to be a hallmark of Nat's problem??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.