BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Swelling won't go down.. surgery on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Gabby2011, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabby2011

Gabby2011 Junior Member

You may remember that on my original surgery date of 5/17.. we hit a deer on the way to the hospital (just got the Pacifica back from the shop and it looks great though) and my surgery got cancelled on the way to the OR because I had fallen and had 2 scabs.

My swelling in the knee will NOT go down. It isn't something that he told me he was worried about - he was worried about how badly I was bruised and the scabs. My knee has always looked horribly deformed from the last 2 knee surgeries.. but no matter what I do it won't go down. I've even put my entire leg up above my heart for over an hour with ice on it. No change.

Me knee was swollen when I saw him about the surgery.. it's been swelling for about 7 months which is why I'm getting it fixed. I'm just paranoid.

Thanks for listening to my mini rant. I needed to say it to somone who understands .. really understands how scarey this is. I do believe I am more scared than I was 2 weeks ago... and I don't know why. I am actually more comfortable with my MD selection than ever before.. but the memories of the pain are coming back and I'm having bad dreams about work.. soo stressed at work that I worked over 60 hours last week and I'm going into to work tomorrow although we are closed.

I think I just need to hurry up and be sedated. :hate-shocked:

Thanks, friends!
  2. JackieS

JackieS Junior Member

If a swollen knee was an issue for canceling surgery on the doctor's part, I wouldn't be sitting here with a three year old new knee! My knee was constantly swollen pre-surgery and on the day they wheeled me into the operating. Now the other knee is the swollen one.

The scabs right on the knee were another matter entirely. I remember my OS had me super paranoid about any scratches or cuts on the knee. Swelling's not a bacterial concern ... scabs are.

Good luck Tuesday! Avoid deer on the way in, please!

--Jackie
  3. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You'd have been better of not going in to work - best way to get on top of swelling is to rest. And one hour of elevation isn't much good either. Try two or three days!! Long term conditions require long term solutions. Hope it settles some before you have to go in.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.