BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Surgeon recomends nerve block for hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Vilebyrd, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

Okay im going with general anithesia i just do not want to be awake or have something in my spine. But they did ask me if i wanted a nerve block on my hip. They said my surgeon recommends it. Any one have any advice? What are the pros and cons? Thanks hippies

2. Kaaper

Kaaper Junior Member

Well, there are fewer chances of complications with just the local nerve block, but you couldn't get me to do it. I just didn't want to be awake. Perhaps others have had the nerve block done?

Good luck to you.

3. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

Ok you have misunderstood. Im not getting the spinal block. Im not asking about that i dont want to be awake and paralyzed from the waste down either. What im talking about is a block that goes in the hip and just numbs that leg. Its called a CPNB it only affects my hip. Anyone have this done and how was it? I will be put to sleep with this.

4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Continuous Peripheral Nerve Block which simply means that in addition to the normal single shot block that lasts about 8 hours, they leave the cannula (plastic tube) in place so top-ups can be given to extend the period of anaesthesia up to as much as 20 hours. If you want to see the entire procedure, you can look here.

5. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

Thanks jo. I guess it would help me because im concerned about them being able to control my pain with meds. I have developed a very high tolerance the past eight years.

6. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Good option, for post surgery pain control..

I haven't checked your other post but have you had the result from your aspiration ?

7. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

Well popp i havnt gotten an official call yet but the doctor that did it said i could relax he didn't think it could be infected. He couldnt get anything out of the joint no synovial fluid at all. He injected saline into so he could draw something back out to be tested. Ive started my iron pills, i got a week to go. I thinking no news is good news right now.

8. Damn!

Damn! Graduate

You are probably right. Doctor's offices usually call pretty quick when there is something wrong. Yay!

9. jjhipster

jjhipster Member

My brother had the hip nerve block done and was greatfull. It controlled is post op pain very well and made getting up and around easier. He came home from the hospital with it. He came home the day after surgery. He didn't have his done in the best place. The nerve block was the one thing he appreciated. Next time he needs his done, he is coming down to my surgeon.

Good luck with you choice. I had preop today. Just counting down the days now. 6 to go.

10. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Absolutely, no news is good news.. wouldn't hurt to give the practice a call though ?

11. nessiepie

nessiepie Member

United States United States
    Hi Vilebyrd

I didn't think of this. I was told in class yesterday it will be general anesthesia Although, they did emphasize that providing you are released from recovery into your room early enough in the day that they will get you up that day. I can see how a nerve block would ease that first time up after surgery. I may call my doc's office and ask his thoughts about it.

Nessiepie
    RTHR December 14, 2012

12. Dingbat7

Dingbat7 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The gas man tried to give me one , but after 20mins in the pre op room told me he couldn't find any gaps in my spine to insert the line/needle so didn't get one, wish I had as morphine pump useless

13. Knitter4444

Knitter4444 Graduate

Word to wise..never assume that your labs are ok just because you don't hear. Always call and of course, get the results sent to you for your files. You never know if someone has misfiled your results, the lab hasn't sent them, or whatever..call..don't assume.

Here in the US many of us can get our results and info online. I love having access as if I go to a provider that is not on the same system, I can print it myself and bring it.

14. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

Well they have been calling me every week about something so i pretty confident they will call if results are bad. I will call thursday if i havent heard anything. These guys doing my surgery are pretty good they take care of the NFL team the Carolina Panthers and Nascars Hendrick motor sports. Even Derek Jeter came here a month or two ago to get his ankle fixed.

15. jjhipster

jjhipster Member

Well good luck Vilebyrd. We only have a few days left. I will see you on the flip side. Or post op side

16. Damn!

Damn! Graduate

Vilebyrd, I don't have any experience with the nerve block during hip surgery. But I do have experience with a nerve block prior to shoulder surgery. It was absolutely wonderful! Had I been offered one prior to my hip surgery, I would have JUMPED on it. It is wonderful for post-op pain control. Then, as it begins to wear off, you can start in with the pain meds.

My husband, the cry baby, had a nerve block back in August when his ortho did a "poke and peek." He had his knee scoped so the doctor could take a look around. All the doctor ended up doing was removing some arthritis. That's it. But the way the cry baby tells the story his leg was amputated :boohoo:. I could have strangled him during his VERY PROLONGED recovery.

Tammy

17. valerie

valerie New Member

I had lthr 8.15.12 and rthr 10.31.12 -- used spinal nerve block for both. Don't let fear of being awake keep you from this great option because they can put you in a twilight state from which you care about nothing and remember even less. Zero side effects except for pain block extended for hours. Good luck.

18. HappyHippy

HappyHippy Senior

Are they doing a nerve block and putting you into a twilight sleep? And you're sure it's not an epidural?

Almost all my surgeries, including a hip were done with blocks and not general anesthesia. General's do make you feel out of it and sometimes quite ill. When the Dr. Was able to leave the anesthesia catheter in for awhile after surgery, I had the best pain management. But I was pretty alert except during the surgery.

19. Vilebyrd

Vilebyrd Member

I tried to explain im not having an epidural and im going under general anithesia. But they are using a nerve block on just my one leg. My operate hip
    will be numb thats it. Thats why i was asking if anyone had this done. I didnt want to be numb by an epidural. I have a fear of being paralyzed. And being awake during surgery just isnt for me
    i wanted general anithesia but the block on one leg sounds good to me. Its like the best of both.

20. HappyHippy

HappyHippy Senior

Ok, I see.

I'm not sure if I had an epidural combined with a nerve block, or just an epidural on my last hip surgery. I know they were able to give me localized medication post-surgery when awake and I was very happy for that. With my first hip replacement I thought I had an epidural which was pulled out right after surgery so my pain management was awful. I could have had a general - I don't remember. But the nurses were trying to give me oral Vicodin within hours of surgery and I always vomit oral meds no matter what the first day.

I've had over 10 epidurals without problems, but I also do poorly with general anesthesia. I always vomit. That's just me, and vomiting after anything makes it less fun.