BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

SuperPath Hip Replacement?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jojool, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

United States United States
    Jojool, Only a few more days, and then you'll be on the other side! Are you excited? You are going to be so pleased with the results. I'll be watching for your first post-op posting! :flwrysmile: :dancy:

2. Jojool

Jojool Member

It's getting closer minute by minute. Those butterflies in my tummy are now huge birds....but I'm excited at the same time. I had a particularly bad day yesterday, so I KNOW I'm doing the right thing by getting this fixed. I'm blessed to have a husband that takes such good care of me. I'm also thankful for Dr. Chow and his knowledge and ability. I feel safe in his skilled hands.

3. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

You are completely safe, Jojool, and will feel better in no time flat!

4. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

Jojool what time is your check-in at the hospital? I will be at check-in in in just 94 hours now if they don't change my time again. Just four more tortuous nights of walking the dogs up and down that $#@&!! hill.

5. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

Hi, didoan, everybody's check-in time is different. It depends upon the time of your surgery. I checked in at 11:00 a.m. and my surgery was at 1:00 p.m. That was my doctor's first surgery of the day. Every doctor has a different schedule, so comparisons don't mean much. I would have liked an earlier check-in/surgery time, because I couldn't eat or drink anything after 10 p.m. the previous night, but it didn't really matter. Everything went fine, and I'm sure it will for you, too!

6. Jojool

Jojool Member

didoan I haven't got my time yet. They will call me tomorrow. Lots going on tomorrow too, I have a horse for sale and the gal that is interested is supposed to call with a Yes or No on purchasing her. I hope it goes Yes! We could sure use the money from the sale and the mare needs a job. I was very pleased with the gal that came to look at her, she's younger and wants to do endurance riding with her. It would be the perfect job for that horse.:ok:

7. Jojool

Jojool Member

DANG! I just got a call from Dr. Chow's office. They've had to reschedule my surgery to the 14th. The good thing is, I got my time and it will be 5:30 check-in and 7:30 surgery.

8. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

didoan, I'm so sorry! I misunderstood your posting asking Jojool what her check-in time was. I thought you were sending the question to me! My bad!

9. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

Jojool, That's good, because you'll be his first patient of the day. You want him to be nice and fresh for your surgery. Tell him to get a good night's sleep!

10. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

Oh no! Jojool! Now we are not going to be surgery buddies :-( Did the sale go through with your mare?

BeckyR no problem :) I had a problem with my browser or something on Thursday and suddenly got an error 'Invalid URL :/:' message on every single BS page I tried to go to and even just the the main bonesmart.org link. I was afraid I had been kicked off or something, but my hubby told me to try his user profile today and it worked)

11. Jojool

Jojool Member

didoan I haven't heard from the gal that wanted the mare...I am going to call her today because I have someone else interested!

12. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

That's great! That doubles your chances of making the sale. Do you breed horses as well as rescue?

13. Jojool

Jojool Member

didoan I used to breed horses, but now just have my own 3 plus the rescued mare and foal. The rescued mare and foal have just found a forever home in California, so will be leaving here in about a week. It certainly will lighten our load around here, especially for my husband who is doing everything right now.

14. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

That's great Jojool! Where are they going in California, North or South? I live in unincorporated San Diego County not far from the Wild Animal Safari Park. We are having a wonderfully cool summer this year unlike the exceptionally hot one last year. BUT with my luck I think things are bound to change for the worse next week so I that I will be hot and miserable after my surgery. August and September are our hottest months but I wanted to have the surgery now so that I will be back in shape and able to do Thanksgiving dinner and enjoy the holidays. Come Jan. 1 my hubby will retire and I want to start doing shorts trips!

I am waiting for my phone call with surgery time, yesterday I did my grocery shopping and the trip there, walking the store, trip back and putting it all away was way too much and I am still recovering from it. The PT did call and I got to ask a few questions, however it didn't go as the paperwork the doctor sent said it would go and that has left me a bit uneasy about the company. She stressed at the end that I should remember to request their company at discharge because I would have a choice. Hmmm, maybe I want to pick someone else in that case? and I am still considering rehab if only for a few days.

15. happy patient

happy patient New Member

Had my hip recently done by Dr. Elvis Grandic in Palm Beach, Florida. Exceeded my expectations. Went home the next day. Ditched the walker by day 2. Cane for 4 days . Walking with nothing within the week. No pain. Only took Tylenol.Dr. Grandic has been doing Superpath for about 4 years. Highly skilled and extremely nice. Very well known in the southeast US.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bumpa

Bumpa Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Here are some good results (over 11 years) of a particular hip replacement, 98.39%!
    Researchers find good long-term results for uncemented hydroxyapatite-coated THA implant

• August 26, 2013

Researchers have found excellent to good results with an uncemented hydroxyapatite-coated total hip implant at 11-year follow-up regarding polyethylene wear rate, stress shielding and improved design over a previous implant generation, according to results of this study.
    http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/h...-uncemented-hydroxyapatite-coated-THA-implant

17. doghandler

doghandler New Member

I have not had a positive experience with Superpath. I had surgery done 8 weeks ago, and I am still using a cane. Surgeon adjusted my leg length and thinks that my body is still adjusting to the difference. X-rays show that implant is in place correctly. I am currently doing physical therapy and hope that will help.

18. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

doghandler, I am so sorry you are having a difficult recovery. Eight weeks is still early days, and everyone recovers differently. If your leg length had to be adjusted, that might require a longer recovery period. Please don't be discouraged; be gentle with yourself, follow the tips on this website, and continue to work with your doctor and your physical therapist. If the implant is in place corrrectly, you will surely recover with time and patience. A lot of people on this website have written about the adjustment process needed when leg length disparity was repaired, because walking with uneven legs for years had resulted in many changes to their muscles -- all of which can improve with time.

19. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

doghandler, Because you are new to Bonesmart -- and especially because you are discouraged with your progress -- I'm going to flag Poppet to give you some advice, and a proper welcome. Poppet will send you links to some articles that may help you, and you will get a lot of personal support and help on this site. It's good that you found it -- it is a wonderful resource.

I'm going to have my second THR on January 8th -- still SuperPATH -- and I know there will be a recovery process. I do want to re-emphasize that everybody's recovery is different. Comparing yourself with others will only lead to discouragement. SuperPATH does minimize or eliminate many of the potential complications of hip replacement surgery, and generally leads to faster healing, but hip replacement is still MAJOR surgery, and recovery takes time. I'm sure that once you get over this challenging period, you will be so glad that you had the surgery. Like so many of us, you will feel that you have been given your life back, and will be able to do the things that gave you joy in the past, before the pain of arthritis stole away the joy of movement.

Happy Thanksgiving, and best wishes for a speedy and thorough recovery!

20. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Hi doghandler welcome to Bonesmart, it is great that you have joined :)

It takes time and patience my dear to recover from a THR and you are still very early in the recovery process.

Would you like to start a new thread for yourself in the hip recovery section, that way staff and members can answer your questions directly :)

In the meantime here are some articles to read to help you :) - I look forward to following your journey.

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra
    - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
    - if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
    - if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
    - if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
    - never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
    - be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery
    Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
    Activity progression for THRs
    Home physio (PT)
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

p.s. Thanks BeckyR for tagging me xx

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.