BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

SuperPath Hip Replacement?

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jojool, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

United States United States
    sandybeach I visited 3 surgeons before I decided on the OS that does the min-posterior. The first I was too ignorant to know I should ask anything, the second did the anterior but only 50 or so per year and the third does over 200+ per year and promises the world. He also inspired a lot of confidence in me. I hope I feel better about his PA after meeting with him 7-30 tho, I didn't like that he disagreed with my plan to go to a rehab center but the OS did. The thought of being at my hubby's mercy of meals and whatnot is more terrifying than than the surgery!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

Thanks for all of the encouragement BeckyR! I guess with only 9-10 surgeons doing Super Path I would be 80-90 years old by the time they learn how in my neck of the woods and I probably cant wait that long I just don't believe him when he says no restrictions except adduction (sp?). I found out if they run into any trouble in the OR they do what ever they need to do to get the job done. I sorta wish I hadn't read up so much along the way. Maybe I would be happier about everything.

3. sandybeach

sandybeach Post-Grad

didoan The more knowledge you can acquire is better. Continue to read as much as you can, you want to go into this surgery confident and with knowledge. With the procedure you've have decided on your restrictions will be less. If your doctor agrees to let you go to a rehab center that should be the only orders you need, he makes the call. Read on the recovery site for the after surgery stories and how everyone is getting along after surgery. Many tell their experiences from the time they get to the hospital until they leave. Those experiences are important to make your surgery go smoother so you know what to expect. When are you having your surgery?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

sandybeach my surgery is August 12th.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jojool

Jojool Member

Just back from our Pre-Surgery Hip/knee replacement class. Funny, but I have learned more from Bonesmart than from the class.....but it was good to get to see the patient rooms and know where I'll be after the surgery. I told the guy that was giving the class about Bonesmart. I also told a lady that was there for a knee replacement about Bonesmart...her husband wrote down the site, so I hope it helps her. She seemed a bit nervous. It's all becoming very real now.....I'm getting mighty big butterflies in my stomach when I think about it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

Jojool, You may not be able to get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation! That's what I've seen you doing over the past few weeks.

7. Jojool

Jojool Member

BeckyR thank you! I have a question for everyone who's been through this. What do I need to pack for my overnight (or two) stay at the hospital????? I'm totally blank. Suggestions, anyone!??????

8. sissy46

sissy46 Post-Grad

Wear loose pants to the hospital and you can wear those home; something loose enough to go over a dressing and maybe swollen leg. You won't need night gown or robe, you might want your own slippers, but they will have those socks with treads for you anyway. Whatever shoes you wear ( sandals are good, since it is summer) make sure they will go on a slightly swollen foot. Take your glasses or contacts and solution. Smart phone or laptop---may be best to have someone bring them later that day, as I did. Something to read. Toothbrush, toothpaste, toiletries you can't do without. That's all I can recall. I only packed a tiny bag, and didn't take half the stuff out. Something to read was essential.
    Hey, stay as long as they will let you! My nurses were wonderful, spoiled me rotten. I had hoped to go home after one or two nights, but decided to stay three since I was going home alone. Glad I did.
    Wishing you a quick recovery---you've had a long wait and it's almost here!

9. Goody2Shoes3

Goody2Shoes3 Member

Canada Canada
    Maybe some large pliable ice packs as i don't know what they will provide you with in the hospital. How about Dry shampoo? Baby wipes?

10. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    I lived in long tshirt nighties and a jumper in the hospital.. When I surfaced from ICU, hubby set up my command centre, iPad, iPhone, charger etc.. I had all the ebooks I ever wanted on my iPad... Didn't read one, just slept mostly.. I also had Tea Tree wipes and hubby did the wipe down each day.

The pain meds will keep you drowsy and the activity in your room checking your obs will wake you up from those little naps you will be wanting all the time.

Sissy is right, wear loose pants to the hospital as you will no doubt have swelling.. I had a skirt and tshirt and crocs..

11. Jojool

Jojool Member

What about undies? Will I be able to wear them after the surgery or will I have to wait? (Don'tcha just love the questions??)

12. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

Jojool, You'll probably wait a little while before wearing undies. Sweatpants are good to bring, because they are loose and stretchy and you'll be able to wear them home. Your leg will be swollen. Don't get bummed out (as I did) if you find you gain 8-10 pounds after the surgery. It is from the swelling and drops away after a little while.

13. Jojool

Jojool Member

Just back from my pre-op appt. with Dr. Chow's PA. All went well. I won't have any restrictions, period. I'm liking that! I was surprised when Dr. Chow came in the room. He came in to tell me that my femur is very small, (told me I had "bird bones" lol) and he has to use the smallest implant they make. I told my husband, "and to think I always thought of myself as big-boned". LOL I told the PA, thanks to Bonesmart, I've learned a ton and I'm prepared for this surgery. She was impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

Nice... Had the PA heard of the site before?

Orthodoc

15. BeckyR

BeckyR Senior

Jojool, You go, girl!

Orthodoc, I have been spreading the word about this site through my physical therapist, in the hospital, etc. It has been so great!

16. sandybeach

sandybeach Post-Grad

Jojool I agree with sissy46 about not packing too much. I stayed in the hospital gown but did take a robe. They gave me the socks at the hospital and they also supplied me with as many ice packs as I asked for and I got to keep them. I only stayed over night but the hospital gown made using the bathroom very easy and for laying around they're comfortable. Your date is getting close...yay...you will be so happy afterwards and you have a wonderful doctor....he trained the one I had.

17. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

BeckyR,

That's great. Keep it up.

Orthodoc

18. Jojool

Jojool Member

Orthodoc the PA didn't seem to know about Bonesmart...but I made sure to emphasize how important it has been in my preparations for surgery. She seemed interested.

19. Runaround Sue

Runaround Sue Senior

Hi Jojool! At my class here in sunny CA. they told us to bring loose, comfortable pull-on shorts and tennis shoes or a sandal type shoe with a back and good traction for our walking exercises:) They said any top we might want to bring should button up the front because of all of the equipment we will be attached to.
    I had already bought several pairs of sheeting capris, hanky soft cotton, loose with elastic waists. I would suggest something similar for you there in hot, hot AZ. along with what the others suggested.
    I have seen quite a few posts where it was suggested that you get new shoes for after your THR because your old ones will be worn out from your old, lopsided walking pattern.

20. Poppet

Poppet Honourary Moderator

Australia Australia
    Yes, loose pants, you won't feel like wearing undies for the first two weeks.. I hug around in t-shirt nighties and a light dressing gown even for the first few weeks at home when I was sleeping and napping so much.. Comfort, comfort, comfort is the key, especially with swelling :)