Strange pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginger-ly

This is my first time posting on this site and I'd like to begin by saying how helpful it's been. When I made plans for my hip surgery, I received a booklet from the Dr. with what I guess was standard information about the procedure and the immediate post op but I was never told how it REALLY is! Anyway, just to brief you, I had a mini-incision righthip done in June and the left hip done a month later. Don't laugh but I honestly thought "mini-incision" somehow meant "mini-recuperation" -- as in a week or two. I was shocked (I still am sort of) that it's taking so long to fully recover. I used to dance professionally (ballet), have always worked out at the gym, do yoga, pilates, and ballroom dancing with my husband so I guess I thought this whole thing would be a breeze. Well, it hasn't been. The left hip has been going well but the right one (one done in July) started out well but 2-3 weeks after surgery I began to get this strange pain. It feels like a pinched nerve and runs down my leg into my knee and even into the shin. What's disconcerting about it is that I can feel fine one minute and be walking fairly normally and then all of a sudden I get this pain and can barely put weight on my leg. Then it disappears. The Dr. thinks it may be bursitis. The PT doesn't have a clue and is a bit concerned. I'm wondering if anyone out there in HR land can shed some light on this. I am now keeping a record of it--noting when it happens and the intensity of it. The last few days have been pretty good but, for example, this afternoon at school (I am a teacher) I suddenly felt it stabbing again. Anyone have any insights on this? Also--I'm still finding it difficult to put on socks and tie shoes, and feel stiff and achy in the evening. Is this normal?

Hi there, ginger-ly (love that name!!) and welcome to the forum.

Sounds to me like you have a touch of sciatica.

You know, there is a human failing that when we've had something done like you've had a THR, we forget that we can still get ordinary things like back pain and colds and stuff. I know how it is, I've been through it myself - everything has to be connected to the surgery we've just had done. That's not intended as a criticism, it just is a human trait.

However, as a usually fit and active person, it's quite possible your body - and especially your lower back - has just taken exception to the protracted periods of sitting around and not being used as much as usual.

So, I suggest you get yourself checked out by a chiropractor. If it isn't sciatica, he (or she!) will soon tell you. There are occasions when a small cyst (or bursa) can occur around the hip joint and it can be as a result of the surgery. It's just not that common.

Hi,
This is my first post. Don't discount thigh pain or groin pain! My drs have been poo pooing mine for the past year and two weeks ago I found out, after falling at work and being coherced into an ER visit, that my femoral component on my less than two year old titanium prosthesis was fractured. Mid femur, completely in half! It has been broken long enough that my femur has outgrowth of bone compensating for the movement at the top half. The bottom half below the fracture is doing what it was supposed to do with good bone ingrowth and adhesion. I think everyone who is experiencing thigh pain should read this article: http://www.priory.com/surgery/Femoral_Fracture.htm

Thanks for reading!
ETsmommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads