BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Still having pain and swelling nearly 4 years post TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by spanielsmum, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Hi, I have just found your interesting and very helpful site. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as me? Had my TKR nearly 4 years ago now and I am still having problems. I can't kneel (had my other knee replaced 18 months ago) and have great pain when standing still in my left knee. The surgeon thought I could have impingeing ?? it seems to go very stiff and feels weird and then I have to go through painful movement to get it going again. It's hard to explain. I think my Hubby thinks I'm going potty.... I still take diclofenac and paracetamols as I'm allergic to Tramadol and Morphine..

2. Titianlady

Titianlady Sr Bonesmartie

United States United States
    Hi there!! You know, if your Dr thinks its impingement, has he suggested arthroscopic surgery to trim out the tissue? Sometimes a bit of scar tissue gets in the way.it can be removed by scoping the knee. I would insist he do something for you, or find an ortho doc that will.

3. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

I'm with titianlady. THere are other things that can get in between the articulating surfaces of the prostheses, such as the fat pad or plica in addition to scar. It's kind of like having pieces of meniscus break off and get in the joint pre-TKR. From what I've read, it can be "fixed" arthroscopically. Have you taken this up with your surgeon? Is the swelling constant or episodic? How about the pain?

4. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Thanks for your quick replies. I go back to see the ortho surgeon in December. I think he was hoping it would resolve itself after the last lot of physio but it hasn't.He did say he couldn't see anything obvious on the last xray... does scar tissue show up I wonder on xray or is it just bone? The left knee is swollen on the lower right side, puffy (like fluid) all the time. I had 2 arthroscopies before my replacement, as well as torn cartilage and anterior cruciate damage repair following a fall, and a Baker cyst so I would imagine there'll be scar tissue. The pain is intense after a few minutes when I stand still,and the knee seems to become tight and stiff, for eg at the checkout or chatting to neighbours in the street. Once I've moved and gone through the pain it goes off. I can't bend the left knee as much as the right when I'm lying down. I still find going downstairs quite painful as my left knee doesn't seem to move as easily as I think it should. I also feel that my legs are fractionally different lengths now too. Maybe I'm expecting too much?

5. Campervan

Campervan Sr Bonesmartie

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, sorry to read you're struggling. I've been having some trouble with straight leg raising and so OS via my physio organised for an Ultrasound to eliminate any issues with the quads and to check the medial parapatellar approach (ie the scar line I think that means). So some things can show up through an Ultrasound. For me it only showed up some thickening around the patellar tendon, which is nothing to worry about. Perhaps you could have one done before anything invasive.

6. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I wouldn't say you are expecting too much for some ease after 4 years! Quite the opposite - I would have been scampering off for a second opinion a long time ago! You certainly do seem to be have problems and somebody should be looking into them. The weird feeling is quite likely your tendons/ligaments catching on the implants.
    Impingement - which generally means there is something wrong with the implants. Either one is too big or set at a bad angle, but your tendons shouldn't be snapping over them like that.
    Scar tissue doesn't unless it's in big solid blocks which I would surmise to be unlikely in your case.

Not necessarily, not in the way you mean, anyway.
    Which all confirms to me that you have something not quite right with the implant positioning.
    Neither can I! :wink:

You really, really do need to find a second opinion and preferably a surgeon who does revision knee replacements as these kind of chaps are very used to sorting out problems made by other surgeons. This supposes that you will need to go to another city so he won't be a golfing buddy with your present surgeon. They also have a keener eye to spot problems and causes.

7. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Xrays captures hard tissues, not the soft tissues, right? So most likely what's tripping you up would not show up. Maybe it would show up on a ultrasound. But in any case you are not expecting too much. Your surgeon seems to think you have impinging tissues. Did he not raise the possibility of arthroscopically addressing these?

8. spanielsmum

spanielsmum New Member

Josephine....

Thank You!!!! - you were absolutely spot on !!!! I had an ultrasound yesterday and there is an area of inflammation where the tendon is rubbing/ catching on the knee replacement. Back to see the Consultant 3rd Dec. What do you think they'll offer next? I'm so glad to hear they've found a cause because I was beginning to wonder if it was in my head!!!

9. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, I hate to be the one to give you the bad news, but if this is the case then the only answer is to replace the implants and make sure they are either in a better position or better size, which ever is the problem. Either that or if that isn't the problem, they could cut the problem tendon.

10. maryo52

maryo52 Sr Bonesmartie

Ouch! So sorry that it's turned out this way. I hope the solution is not too inconvenient.

Why is it women who experience things without "proof" think it's in their head, not so much men, plus apparently on both sides of the big pond?

Anyhow, let us know what comes next.

11. Jennifer0730

Jennifer0730 Junior Member

You are all so right that when a woman experiences a problem that is not easily visible, its "all in her head". The very first OS I saw for my very first meniscus tear told me there was nothing wrong, it was all in my head, with no MRI etc. Obviously the next OS found the problem and fixed it. That was many years ago. Spanielsmum, I wonder if you got the right size and gender of knee prosthesis? They do have gender specific knee prosthesises. (did I spell that right??) Women have a different angle from the hip to the knee to accommodate our child bearing pelvises. I believe this is called the Q angle?! Anyway, it means we females need a slightly different shape of prosthesis. Of course there are many different sizes to choose from because we all have different size bones. You can't expect a 5 ft tall person to need the same size prosthesis as a 6 ft person. A revision will not be fun, but life is too short to put up with painful knees!

12. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Awwww..... so sorry there is an issue, but very glad that they found the problem!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.