Starting the process; getting another evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovedaisys

Country
United States United States
Hello,
I've decided I can't handle the pain anymore. I fell and hurt my hip in the early 90's, skiing on an icy slope. Decreased mobility and increased pain has now come to rule my daily life. My doctors so far has told me I'm too young and to wait until I can't tie my shoe.

I live in a rural area with limited access to hip replacement surgeries. I've been to P.T. to correct my severe limp, I walked with my head tilted left. And, then after awhile I was tilting in right, so now I think I'm walking without pronounced "tilt", my limp is constant and my leg weakness bothers me. Exercise is too painful to continue to work through. I believed I had a high pain tolerance, but no longer. I'm getting second opinions in the Salt Lake area now, next Thursday. I'm wanting the anterior procedure so I have more flexibility.

I'm just taking NAID's for pain. I'm thinking they don't work so I switch between Aleve and Aspirin, Tylenol, IBupropin (sp?). One Ortho MD gave me a stronger med but my kidneys started to hurt and quit taking it.

I have bone spurs. My hip "tilts" on the X-ray film. I love walking with my Irish Setter, but lately I've had too much pain.

Thank you for having this site. I look forward to learning every think I can.

Welcome to our community. A doctor said you were too young? Wow, we have people in their 20s posting here. It is never too soon to get rid of that excruciating pain and get your life back. Someone will be along soon to hook you up with some excellent information, including how long modern prostheses can last. Read everything, it is a great place to start. Being informed and supported will make all the difference to your recovery. People here have experienced every possible condition and every bump on the road to recovery. You will feel empowered, prepared and and informed, ready to make wise choices and help yourself along the way. Wishing you well. Vicki

ilovedaisys oh I feel for you. What does he mean, "can't tie your shoe"? As in, you can tie your shoe if you scream the whole time and pass out after? Sheesh. I hope that you get better info somewhere-- I am far from an expert on anything except how bad it hurts... On that topic-- I take advil 3 times a day, tylenol 3 times a day, and one 50 mg tab of tramadol for the afternoon. I cannot imagine what would happen if I stopped cold. I'm know that my concoction is "managing" the pain quite a bit, but what's left over is worthy of codeine!! And you know what? You do have a high tolerance for pain-- if someone with a low tolerance were to have your pain, they'd be a basket case! (That's my view and I'm stickin' with it...)

Welcome to the site. I am glad you decided to get it done so you can live without pain. When you have it done and you finally get to the recover, you will be so glad. I am so glad I had my done. Its great. To do the things I use to do and be pain free. WOW I can hardly wait to see you on the other side. Please keep us informed so we can help you when you need it. If you need to ask questions, ask away. We love questions. Take care Tashia

Welcome to Bonesmart, definitely get that second opinion.. You don't want to be watching life from the sidelines.. You want to be enjoying walking your dog..

Do let us know the outcome from your second opinion :)

Welcome to this site which will be a great source of information and will support you in the process of regaining your active lifestyle. It's unbelievable that a doctor should give you advice like that and I am so pleased that you are seeking a second opinion . Let us know how you get on.

Who's body is it? If you are compromising your quality of life, it is time. You will find many people on this site who have had joint replacements many years younger. You are only this age today, tomorrow you are older. Waiting until you are totally disabled, is old school. Find someone that is pro active and wants to improve your life.
Good luck
David

Too young to live pain free? No way. I'm with the others on the second opinion. Let us know how you get on. :flwrysmile:

No way are you too young to begin to live your life again. If you're in pain and struggling you deserve better. I'm 42 with five mixed aged kids, 2 grandkids and a dog and just had my left hip replaced. Now on road to recovery and intend to enjoy them again. Good luck. Xxx

Aud

We've had that said by people in their 30s, 40s and even 50s but this is the first time I've ever heard it said by someone in their 60s! He must be terribly out of date because it's fairly well acknowledged now that hips replacements last a fair old time! For you there would be every possibility it would out last you! There are plenty of people still walking around with their original replacements after 25 and 30 years and even longer. Read this article Longevity of implants and revisions: how long will my new joint last.

You might also like to read these articles
Stories of amazing hip recoveries
Dancing after THR: 4 months pics THR
Hips that have lasted 40 and 32 years.

Where do you live, which country? Wouldn't it be worth travelling some to get your hip done? If that surgeon is so out of date, it's a fair guess his skills might be the same. It's always best to make sure you get a really good surgeon for this op.

I'm one of those 20 year olds, a week and two days out from my surgery. I can say it was one of the best things I've done for myself. It was the only way to get my life back to where I wanted it. I Agee that it's worth traveling somewhere for a major surgery that will have such a major impact on your life. You owe it to yourself to get the best! Good luck!

I thank you all for the support and encouragement. I leave tomorrow for the appointment. I've been researching the Anterior method of hip replacement. A sports medicine Ortho MD, who helped me get P.T. and injected my hip, told me I do not have any cartilage left in my right hip. I live in Idaho and have to travel for about 3 hours to this appointment.

I've been learning about the MD's. I've watched the THR surgery on Youtube.
I've listened to several MD's say that 90% of the replacements are still working after 20 years.

My injury was caused by a skiing accident in the '90's. I wonder if I tore the hip ligaments and then just "coped" with the pain until my limp became pronounced. When I saw my shadow as I walked I could see that my right shoulder was lower than my left shoulder.

After physical therapy I am walking better, a slight limp. I've strengthened my muscles but now I'm not walking as far as I want because of the pain. I went snowmobiling for the first time in West Yellowstone this February. My hips hurt so badly, I'm still recovering! Some of the snow trails were like a washboard, bumpy and hard.
I had to have someone lift my legs up over the snowmobile inorder to get off the machine because I was so weak! I hate that!

Thank you all! :eeeuw:

ilovedaisys I'm glad the PT helped you! I got good help too, and they had a "laser" machine that was what really worked wonders. I do the exercises, I can even release trigger points, I can kinesiotape my S-I joint by myself, but I don't have that little machine :( You are brave to get on a snowmobile!! I've never ridden one.. it must have been fun till it suddenly wasn't!
Have a safe trip tomorrow, and come out with a date maybe!?

You are going to be so glad you are going for another opinion! If you are in that much pain, it is past time to get it done. I was in an accident also. A car ran over my stomach and hip many years ago. I got my surgery at Xmas time and I am so so much better!!. It is like a whole new world from what I was in just a few months ago. As far age thing, what are you supposed to do? Wait till you are too old to walk and then have it done. Really? That is so crazy that he told you that. Reason enough to get a new doctor. Good luck tomorrow and pleae let us know what happened!

Hi, ilovedaisys,

I had the anterior method, and if you are a good candidate for it and find a surgeon who is skilled at this, it sure makes those early days and weeks a little easier. In the long run, the outcome is the same as the other approaches, but it is so nice to not have the 90 degree restriction, the leg crossing restriction, and all that.

You're very wise to leave the doc who doesn't want you to have surgery until you can't tie your shoe. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to tell him where to put that shoe.

Please let us know how your appointment goes today:SUNsmile:

Hello everyone. Just got home after the appointment with the Ortho MD. He evaluated my hip/leg range of movement. My knee ligaments are in good shape. The X-ray showed a Stage 4 hip, with no cartilage at any place around the hip socket. An x-ray tech told me I have a bad hip, I said usually techs won't tell me anything. He said, "the doctor will tell you". A shadow on the ball part of the socket is possible evidence that part of the bone on the ball is collapsing upon itself, according the MD. Never knew such a thing could happen! I do know that the pain meds don't work anymore.

My left hip is showing arthritis, because it has been overworking.

The Ortho MD does hips, shoulder's and knees. He has done the traditional procedure for a long time, he started the Anterior procedure when the "surgical tools" improved. He uses a Biomet prothesis, with Titanium and ceramic.

We set my surgery date: May 1.

Yikes!
:spin:

Well done on getting your surgery date! You won't regret this op! My hip collapsed before I finally got a diagnosis. And yes - there are no pain meds that take that pain away. But the good news is all that pain will be gone post-op! Stick with us here. We can help you through this journey.

st pats 18.jpg
Great! ilovedaisys. Now you can really make plans and have it all together by surgery day. I will put you on Poppets surgery date list.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. Happy St Pat 6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member