Starting scheduling for hip replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jole53

Hi all,
After 15 months of dealing with the pain of a severly damaged hip from osteoarthritis, I am finally going to go ahead with the replacement. My aprehension is that I also have a severly damaged arthritic knee both on the right side. I just received the synvisc one injection in my knee one week ago. We hope that it will work and my knee will hold up for the post op hip replacement therapy.I also do not have anyone that will be with me post op except a few friends and co-workers who will get me to appointments and such.
Any and all experience that you may be willing to share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jole, Welcome to the board!

Boy, you have a double whammy--hip and knee arthritis on the same side. Are you scheduled for the hip? When?

I'm in a similar situation with the help at home. I went to a nursing home inpatient rehab unit for 6 days after hospitalization. That was a very good decision for me and it may be for you too, especially considering you may need more help than some because of your knee.

Are you feeling any relief from the knee injection?

Dorothy

Hiya
I know the feeling , both my hips knackered, the right one more than the left and have grade IV OA in my left knee, also a tad concerned how I will manage when I get my right hip replaced in a few weeks as leading with left leg up stairs a problem.

Like Rider1960 I am spending a week in a nursing home that does respite following surgery which is two streets from the hospital , as all my family in the US and I live alone , in fact I visited it today and whilst it was a bit like gods waiting room it has 24/7 nursing and will arrange physio.
The nursing staff can also change my dressings and remove the staples if they are due out whilst there. The matron is coming to the hospital a day after surgery to see what my mobility like and arrange the aids I may need in the home, I would imagine I will be released early from the hospital due to this.
I have also arranged a house cleaning service for when i return home and have bought all the stuff I need from Ebay like grabbers and raised toilet seat.

Hi Dorthy & Rider,
The injection was given only a week ago. Dr said it would be 3-4 weeks before we know if it was effective. Just feels "full" right now.
In processing of scheduling the Hip replacement. Could be a month with all the red tape involved. In the mean time, I get a maximum of 4-4.5 hours sleep a night. Really wearing on me.
Thank you for writing and God bless you.

Jeff

Hello Jeff and welcome to BoneSmart,

Ouch on both your hip and knee together! Hope the injection kicks in and offers some relief. The hip replacment ahhhhh now that's a gift, I completely know that PRE surgery pain and getting a new hip is really a 2nd chance at living a normal life..pain free!

We have lots of members that stayed the few days at hospital and went straight home alone, its handy to have friends to help out, stop by the Hardest part is not being able to drive. With planning and lots of prep work it's pretty straight forward. Our library section has some great advice. If you prefer rehab I thinks that's an excellent option too. I think sometimes it depends on your surgeon and insurance.

All the best,

Sarah

Hi Jeff, glad you joined us! I was alone for most of my recovery. It was really no problem. They won't send you home until you can do the basics on your own.

Spend some time in the Hip Replacement Recovery area. Lots of recovery stories there! Then come back and ask all those questions. We are here to help!

Hi Jeff

Just wanted to welcome you to the Bonesmart family :)

Hi Dallas,
I'm encouranged by your reply. Does it really, really change things? Getting rid of this horrible pain would be a God send.
The Synvisc injection is just 10 days in now. I think I am starting to feel a difference, but we'll give it three more weeks before we call the jury in. If the hip replacement really does stop the pain that I am in, then I will be forever grateful!
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I am still having a hard time navigating around this site. I don't know if I am answering you or a million others. LOL.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

This is your thread and every time you post in it you are replying to all of us which is good. In time you will see we are a very warm welcoming fun group of PRE op members and post op members. Have fun and poke around and read some of the stories it will help and give you lots of good things to look forward to. Yes that icky hip pain will be gone the day of the surgery, you will be sore from the surgery and it takes quite a while to recover, we all vary in times....the most consistent comment is the pain has gone WoooooHooooo!!

Our library is also good reading, will help you getting ready for the surgery, do you have a date yet for your hip?

Hope your weekend is going well.

All the best,

Sarah

Hi Jeff

Yes, the bone on bone pain will definitely be gone :)

I had extremely complex surgeryand recovery as my signature indicates briefly.. But don't be alarmed, this was relative to me only.

But from the moment my surgery was over, I could wiggle my toes and knew straight away that the bone on bone pain was gone forever!

As Sarah said, just keep posting on this thread and we will be following your journey with you :)

You are part of the world wide family of BoneSmartie's :) even the name says it all!

We are the smart one's who venture on the journey to a new pain free life...

Come ask as many questions as you want, we are here to answer.

Kind regards.

Hi Jeff,
I am a recent hip replacement success and found the support from people on this site very helpful so wanted to pay it forward. As I read through the stories and threads I was constantly reminded that each persons situation and experience is unique. However, I noticed that the common theme is relief from the aching pain of arthritis.

You have the second challenge of your right knee which will certainly add some initial limitations. I was in a similar situation as you without full time help once I got home and had made arrangements to stay at a Skilled Nursing Facility after discharge from the hospital. As it turned out I was able to manage at home just fine with a little planning and preparation ahead. The biggest challenge was getting the compression socks on and off but the hospital sent me home with some clever devices that allowed me to manage myself.

I am four weeks post surgery and the only pain I have is some near the incision. My hip muscles are a little weak still but the bone on bone pain that kept me awake and made the thought of walking across a parking lot unbearable is gone!

Stay in touch as the people and libraries on this site are a wealth of helpful information.

Don

Does it really, really change things? Getting rid of this horrible pain would be a God send.

Yes! The op does make all the difference in the world. I remember reading this when I was pre-op. It is very hard to imagine a major procedure could get rid of all that pain. But it does! You wake up from surgery and realise you can walk without all that bone on bone grinding. Magic!

I am still having a hard time navigating around this site. I don't know if I am answering you or a million others. LOL.

You are doing fine Jeff. It's great to keep your replies on a thread. There are probably lots of other people feeling the same way and asking the same questions. All your replies and questions help others as well.

Hi, Jeff!!! Any progress on getting that hip scheduled? It will make a HUGE difference for you to have it fixed and working properly. It's possible your knee pain will lessen also....at least to some degree.

Hope to hear more from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member