BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Staph infection in hip

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by FitnessBiz1, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FitnessBiz1

FitnessBiz1 New Member

On Oct 12th I had a dr appt with a new OS for consultation & to review my
    x-rays for my left hip! After reviewing my hip and a few questions, he gave me some options for my hip; resurfacing or THR. Left hip has arthritis and worn out cartilage!

He suggested a cortisone shot to help with the pain but I told him I am not a fan of steriods and not sure if I wanted it. Plus, I was not in that much pain. He very confidently said he does it all the time and I would be pain free and happy until we decide what we want to do and start taking steps to my options.

I agreed and he gave me a shot in the anterior hip area which really hurt and felt like it hit deep in my joint or a nerve. I TRUSTED HIM AND AM MAD AT MYSELF FOR agreeing to the shot and will forever regret saying yes! He said it was normal and to go home to ice.

Well, it REALLY REALLY hurt and I called my sister's husband to ask if this was normal (since he had a cortisone shot before I thought he would know) he also suggested to lay down and ice the area.

The next day I could not walk! Since I am a fitness Instructor, I had to call my friend to cover my classes for that day and was hopeful that I would be fine to teach the next day. Pain continued to escalate and still not able to walk without limping!

Now I was starting to worry and by that evening the pain was so severe my Husband took me to the ER where they put in on IV and administered detalled (sp?) for the pain!

After Blood was drawn and Xrays taken, I was sent home with pain meds to wait for results. Fever kicked in that evening and I knew something was seriously wrong! Once again, I was at the ER screaming with pain and waiting to be admitted again.

They had found that my blood indicated I was fighting off something and the Xrays indicated fluid in my hip joint. After I they gave me pain med, I was sent to get my hip aspirated. They had confirmed I had Staph infection in my hip and would need surgery to wash out area and insert a tube to drain out for a few days! Like everyone else in this forum that I have read, I had a PIC line inserted for a month of Antibiotics and lots of bed rest.

This happened so fast, I just could not believe this was happening to me. You see, I am a fitness professional and I teach fitness classes, I manage the group fitness program and staff at a prominent club, do videos and consulting work. Being ACTIVE is my career and my life. To be stopped in my tracks like this was devastating!

I have begun my long journey to recovery and at times I guess I was in denial and just though it would be a few weeks until I was back 100% teaching and being active! Boy was I wrong and after several set backs, countless tears and at times deep depression, I realized I had to find out about what happened to me, how long the recovery will be and if this has happened to anyone else.

As I told my story, i discovered it's become common contracting STAPH from hospitals and doctors office! And how many people are in the same situation as I am.

I am done with my antibiotic treatments and PIC line is out, have started doing light exercises and even have found my pilates classes and exercising in the pool more effective than the PT sessions.

However, to date, I still have a limp and have some pain in my joint, feels like soft tissue and not sure how much longer it will be until I am 100%!

My Surgery was on October 16th and I was wondering how long the recover is and if I risk getting this infection again, is there long term damage to my joint! I still need to address the original issue and not sure if I can survive another surgery and when I should get that done.

And last, to add insult to injury, I NEVER heard from the original doctor who gave me this shot! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Any advice, experience or suggestion would be greatly appreciated! I am so glad I found this site and sorry to see how many others have experienced this same issue! It's comforting to know I am not alone!

2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Welcome to BoneSmart Fitnessbiz1. I'm glad you found us and decided to join the forum.

I put some paragraphs in your post so that it will be easier to read and I need to move it to a more appropriate forum. Right now it's in the area of BoneSmart that deals with rules of the forum.

So that I may properly locate it, can you clear something up for me? Did you actually have your hip replaced? Resurfaced? Was the staph infection in your hip joint, or generalized within your body?

Once I get your thread in the correct forum, you will receive a lot more comments from our members. We do have people on the forum who have had staph infections and our forum nurse, Josephine, will like have some comments too.

3. FitnessBiz1

FitnessBiz1 New Member

Hi Jaime,

Thank you very much for you help! I wasn't sure where to post but just wanted to get started! I did not get anything done to my hip; only power washed due to the infection. I was initially at this Doctor's office for a second opinion for my hip. I was educating myself on hip surgery vs resurfacing! And starting to take the steps to have it done in about a few years. I was very active and not in severe pain and learned to work out smarter not harder! Pilates, Cycling and light weights and yoga was my workouts and you would never even know I had a hip issue. Sorry to ramble on.........

As I sit here, I have pain (slight burning) on my scar area and pain in the groin (medial) AREA, feels like a ligament or nerve. Doing Accupunture and drinking the teas which has helped my energy level.

I am also not sure if I am pushing myself or doing to much. Do not want to injure myself again!

Looking forward to getting started! In the meantime, I am going to get familiar with site to get the most out of it.

Thank you so much!

I really want to know how long the recovery is for this infection/surgery and should I wait for my hip resurfacing or THR. I am so confused, lost and not sure what to do. I just don't think I can tolerate another surgery right away. I want to deal with this first then do the hip surgery in a couple of years.
    I need to get back to work. I love what I do! My body is my job.

Thank you for listening!

4. FitnessBiz1

FitnessBiz1 New Member

Sorry! Forget to add that the infection was only in my hip joint. I had a cardioGram and blood test to make sure it did not enter my blood. Need to make an appt with Infectious disease doctor to see if I am in the clear. I am scared that it is still in my system and just dormant. Is that possible.

5. Mudpro

Mudpro Graduate

As I went through my hip experience, I learned that staph infections are one of the most serious issues to consider. Before my surgery I was limited in what information I could obtain about what hospitals had more or fewer cases. But after the surgery, my in-home Nurse and Physical Therapist, and later my out-patient therapists, were more than willing to share their insight and were very opinionated about where they would send their friends and relatives and where they would not. Fortunately I ended up with a hospital that had a very low number of cases, but that was somewhat by chance as the first doctor (1st out of 3) i consulted would have used a hospital that allegedly has one of the highest levels in the state...

I think that there should be some way for a consumer to find out this information without having to rely on knowing medical insiders.

6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Thanks for the additional information, Fitness. I have now moved your thread to the Pre-Hip Surgery forum.

I am so sorry to hear of your experience! Wow, you have been through so much and haven't even really addressed any upcoming surgery to improve your hip joint.

Of course, the doctor you saw who gave you the injection should be off your Rolodex permanently!!! It will be best to just go forward from here and decide what to do when with your hip.

First thing, you need to find some good surgeons who can properly evaluate you. Are you near a large city? If so, you should have plenty of options. Here is a link to a BoneSmart search engine to find surgeons close to you.

You can also search in the yellow pages or obtain recommendations from friends or your primary physician. Steer clear of the doctor's entire practice that you saw in the past, though. (I probably don't need to tell you that, do I!)

Once you have a list of 3-5 surgeons, make appointments and interview them. Get their opinions on what you should do and when. Be sure at lease 1 or 2 offer resurfacing, as it may be a good option for you. Then, and only then, make your choice of surgeon based on what you have heard from them and how comfortable you are with him (or her). You'll know when you talk to the right person. In your interview, here are some questions you should ask.

Once you have done your research and found a surgeon you like and trust, you'll feel better about what is ahead for you. Don't let this bad experience scare you away from finding the right person. With the right surgeon on your side, you can relax, put yourself in their capable hands, and go on to a more active and enjoyable life.

From what you've written, it may be that you don't need surgery right at this moment. But, if you have significant cartilage loss, you DO need to find out what your options are to ensure that whatever is needed is done at the proper time by an excellent doctor with a good history of success.

Don't hesitate to post here whenever you need to talk. We're here to help and support you through whatever is ahead for you.

7. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello, Fitness - I see you managed to activate your account then!

As for your experience, I would very much doubt the infection came from that doctor as it flared up so quickly. If it had been from the injection, it would probably have taken a few days to become apparent. My guess is that you were already building up an infection there or had a subclinical one already which might have accounted for some of your pain. Of course, introducing a steroid into the joint would quite possibly have made it flare up to that acute stage. But anywhere there is an inflammatory process active, and osteoarthritis is an inflammatory process, infection will take advantage. These are mostly bacteria from UTI infections and/or dental infections. The condition is often referred to as a septic hip.

Anyway, tis somewhat academic now - what you have to deal with now is the aftermath of that unfortunate experience. As for the blood tests to check the bacteraemia, the surgeons usually do that. And to answer your question about how long, they will have to wait until the bacterial count in the blood is zero or almost zero. This can take anything from 6-12 weeks but in truth, there is no specific time frame. Once the infection is gone from the blood, it will be quite safe to proceed with the hip replacement.

8. FitnessBiz1

FitnessBiz1 New Member

Thank you everyone for your post! It's a bit overwhelming but nice to know so many people care and are willing to help out. I am taking it one day at a time, keeping my spirits up and working hard to get back to teaching classes again. I am hoping I learn from all of this and am able to help others. Thank you and Happy New Year! Here's to health!

9. JudyS

JudyS Alpha

Wow Fitness Biz hopefully the worst is over. I had a few of those hip injections the last being very painful with walking also being painful. But certainly not what you experienced.
    Fitness is very important to me as well so i understand that part of your life.

Good luck getting information on the future treatment of your hip
    judy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.