BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
The world's leading knee and hip replacement
patient advocacy organzation & online community

Sore Knee.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by mrsgibbo, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

I had a THR a week ago today. My hip is fine, no pain. The problem is I have a very painful knee on the operated side. It feels like a really bad bruise and is sore to touch although there is nothing to see. I have tried icing my knee and am sitting with my leg up as much as I can. Is this normal and how long till the pain goes away?
    Cathy:kittykiss:
  2. nanamac

nanamac Don

United States United States
    Well Cathy, if it just started perhaps you unknowingly twisted or turned trying to compensate for the hip...just a guess. Sure you didn't bump it?

If it is hot or red, I would call you OS. Perhaps Jo@josephine would have more info but I wouldn't think it anthing to be worried about though.

Glad you are doing so well with the new hip!
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All very normal Cathy! Just keep icing and elevating.

I'm surprised you don't have a bruise there yet. I had a massive bruise behind my knee and all the way down my leg post-op.

Are you wearing compression socks? If so make sure they aren't too tight. That could also be aggravating things.

Don't worry. If you ice and elevate it should calm down within a few days.
  4. staffsknot

staffsknot Sr Bonesmartie

Hi, Cathy. Right from the start, 8 weeks ago, I wrote down my sensations, good and bad, mostly bad. This made a daily record, which I changed to a weekly report after 5 weeks, when things stopped changing quite so quickly. You see, your knee right now is the most important thing in the world to you. If you're anything like me, you get into a frame of mind where the knee will be like this for ever and it will never get right. Looking back at my diary now, I realise there were bad things like that, and when they went away, which they did, I forgot to mention that they had gone. For example, when I was driven away from the hospital, there was a sharp upside down tentpeg on the car seat, sticking into the right buttock, the very bit I wanted to sit on. There wasn't really; it just felt that way, and it happened every time I sat down for the next five days, however soft the seat was. I eased myself down carefully on the left cheek first, but it was still not good.

Just when I was in despair that I was stuck with this for ever and a day, I sat down in the car, and it wasn't there.

Things do get better, even though at the time it feels as if they will go on for ever. Now that I look back at my diary, I remember a sequence of unpleasant things, and I'm amazed to note that they have all gone away, just as the nurses and physios and doctors said they would.

So take heart. After a few weeks maybe your diary will look as reassuring as mine did.

All the best, Alan:smile:
  5. haldox

haldox Post-Grad

HI Cathy, congrats on your new shiny hip!

I had left knee problems pre op and post op, all due to my left hip\ limp. Post op my knee felt like you are describing without the bruising as well. Of course lots of ice and elevating will help but also patience is important. Your knee will come back around, I think it took about a month for mine to settle down, even though I would still have some swelling for a few weeks after that. Things have to readjust and get used to the new hip.
  6. mags

mags Junior Member

Hi Cathy
    I had the sore new also. I am at 5 1/2 wks right now, and have gone through off and on knee pain, right now I will have pain sometimes after exercising but not always and it is more of a nag than an outright pain. My feelings about it and everyone on here told me that it was adjustment from walking so crooked for a long time. My left knee sometimes hurts on the inside also mostly after excercising. Both knees are improving all the time so I feel it will soon be gone.
    That may be what is happening to you, our poor bodies have to adjust and try to get back in alignment. Hope this helps you.
    Mags
  7. mags

mags Junior Member

Okay, should check my spelling before sending messages:th_blush: I meant " I had the sore knee also"
    Mags
  8. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Thanks for all your quick replies. Reading them has reassured me that things are probably just normal healing. My hip is uncemented and I have been encouraged to weightbear from day 1. I can easily get around on crutches and walked down to a friends house for coffee this afternoon. How nice to get out!!:th_jumpy:
    Cathy
  9. nanamac

nanamac Don

Way to go! To do that at 1 week I would say is pretty darn impressive! You'll be fine...
  10. Celeste

Celeste Junior Member

Cathy,
    I had the sore knees, too, and initially thought oh, no, not the knees, too!!! However, like everyone has said, the soreness does go away. I'm 4 weeks post op and as I read the post, realized that my knees haven't been bothering me lately. Like Mags, my PT thinks that my knees were just adapting to more normal movement because I was walking so crooked before surgery.

Sounds like you're doing great, even had an outing to your friend's house...good for you!
  11. Renate

Renate Sr Bonesmartie

Good morning, glad to have found this forum. I am waiting for RTHR, oninium/uncemented, was told no weight-bearing for 2 months. I can so relate to the knee pain. I have hip for 15 years now, the last 2 years with added knee pain (down the inside). After my hip injection in December I could walk normal, painfree for 6 hours, after the anaesthetic wore off I had the most horrifying knee pain, had to use a tenser, ice. I was told that I am so out of whack now from 'waddling' that hopefully after surgery and lots of physio my knee and lower back pain will diminish. Good luck with your surgeries:th_yay:
  12. Renate

Renate Sr Bonesmartie

Sorry, I meant recovery!
  13. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Noticed that my knee was quite black and blue when I got up today. Funnily enough its not as sore now the bruise has come out. Managed to shower and dress all by myself this morning. By the time I was downstairs I felt like I had run a marathon.Had a lazy day watching T and reading.
    Cathy.:flwr:
  14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Sounds like a great day, then!!! Good for you.
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Bruise as predicted! You are doing all the right things Cathy. Just keep icing and resting. Things will get better every day!
  16. KayS

KayS Junior Member

Cathy, I had the knee pain also. It was towards the back on the side of the operated leg. I noticed it especially when I slept. I told my OS about it at my 2 week follow up and he said if it didn't stop, it may be my back? I am happy to report that it went away. No back problems needed here. whew! The diary is a great idea, Alan. It saves trying to remember each and every pain we have in the weeks following thr. Hopefully Cathy, in just a few more weeks, this pain will be a memory. It sounds like you're doing great!
  17. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Knee still a bit sore but not enough to stop me getting around. Like you Kay it is worse at night. It is really sore to touch just like a bruise. Mine is on the outside of the operated leg and is now black and blue. My OS looked at it before I left hospital and said it was nothing to worry about. Doing my exercises with no problems and wonder if I should be moving around more than I am. Not sure if Im doing enough or too much!! Cant wait for the spring and all this to be a distant memory.
    Cathy

y
  18. Josephine

Josephine Administrator

Cathy - and everyone else who is reading this - would you be so kind as to put your surgery date in your signature, please? It's very helpful when we all are answering your posts. It's next to impossible to remember when everyone had their ops and takes so much time to go searching back to find it. The instructions are here How to create a signature
  19. KayS

KayS Junior Member

Cathy, it does sound just like the pain I had. Josephine, is there equipment used during surgery that can cause bruising there? I'm thinking something to hold the leg in place? Just curious.:smile:
  20. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Think I've managed it Josephine.
    Cathy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.