TKR Sore knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

crv

Country
United States United States
I had total knee replacement Monday March 3. Discharged Thursday March 6. Started PT the next day. Gave up walker the the next Wednesday and gave up cane the next Wednesday unless was going to be in a crowd of people. Had X-rays at 6 weeks and Dr said knee is perfect. I have significant pain and swelling when it rains. Will this ever go away? If so how long will it take? The original pain I had prior to surgery is gone but the knee and surrounding tissue is extremely sore. How long will this soreness last. Thanks

Hi @crv, welcome to Bonesmart. I'm afraid no one can say when it will go away, we are all different. If you read some of the recovery journeys on this forum you will see that no two are the same. Are you still medicating regularly? At this stage in your recovery you need to keep up the medication and also take time to elevate and ice the knee. You are still quite early in your recovery, the tissues will still be recovering from this very major operation, it takes months, may be a year to settle down properly. I will tag @Josephine for you, to see if she can help more than I can.
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on, this site is an absolute lifeline, there is always somebody who will understand what you are going through.

Hi CRV, there's no getting away from the fact that it will take time, for most people it's usually 6 months before you really feel as though you are reaching the end.

Ellejay is absolutely right about medicating for pain, there are no prizes for stopping taking them early.

The other thing which is very important is controlling the amount of work you are expecting your knee to do.
Could you clarify a bit what you are now doing, particularly what physiotherapy you are doing now (if any). Continuing soreness is normally a sign that you are doing too much too early.
Rest assured, you seem to be absolutely normal, but maybe a bit impatient:chillpill:

It will get better just takes time! I don't know how much you are icing but I iced most of the day with ice packs and at night I slept with a cryo machine. I did this for at least 8 weeks. I really believe the nighttime icing helped me the most! Hang in there - improvement is slow but it happens.

RTKR - 9th December, 2013

welcome 23.jpg
@crv, so pleased that you have joined us here on the forum. You are only about two months post op---very, very early in this recovery; and it appears that you are very active this early on. This is a long, long recovery. For most, it is three months before feeling "normal" might be possible, six months knowing that "normal" is possible, and at least twelve months until "normal" is a reality.

I have some reading for you! The first set is essential reading, the second and third are useful and the fourth is just good information, but you will need it all.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not lengthy and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

Considering you are not yet 7 weeks out, you seem to be on track for this recovery. However, I am a little worried by you saying you have 'significan pain' so I am going to ask you some questions. Please answer them point by point and in as much detail as you can. Thanks - I'll be back!

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)

For me the weather sensitivity went away eventually. Your knee has been through a lot and it definitely will take time to get back to normal. But please do answer Josephine's questions when you get a chance--the more specific the better for her to help you.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advise. Sorry it has taken so long to get back but I have not felt good and husband had a procedure on his bladder and waiting on pathology report to determine if cancer. Thanks bottomshollow for the reading list. Haven't got started reading yet but hope to start soon. Josephine I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

1. Right now my knee pain level is about a 4. It is nothing like before surgery. Now it is sore and lately it just aches when I am resting in recliner with foot rest out.

2. I am taking oxycodone 5 mg acetimimophine 325 twice a day and sometimes at night I will take 2 pills if I am hurting really bad. Other times during day may take 2 Tylenol extra strength

3. Am icing knee 2-3 times a day. Was told when I finished rehab I should do on as needed basis. Maybe once a day

4. I elevate my leg every time I sit in my recliner. Foot rest out and pillow under leg for as long as possible before having to get up.

5. I do not do near as much housework cooking, shopping as before surgery. Some days I spend more time up than I do sitting. My husband has been having health issues and also has some dementia or Alzheimer's going on so I try not to let him go too many places by himself. These are the days I usually take two pain pills at night.

6. The last two weeks or so I have not done any PT/exercises. Maybe that is part of my problem. I just have not felt like it or hurt too bad. I am also scheduled for total right hip replacement June 9 and right now I am experiencing a significant amount of groin pain from hip.

Hope I have answered all your questions and thanks in advance for your advice.

Right now my knee pain level is about a 4. It is nothing like before surgery. Now it is sore and lately it just aches when I am resting in recliner with foot rest out.
Of course it's not as bad as before surgery, that's why I said don't compare it ! You obviously have constant pain and need to be more 'up' on your pain meds. You're still only 9 weeks out.
I am taking oxycodone 5 mg acetaminophen 325 twice a day and sometimes at night I will take 2 pills if I am hurting really bad. Other times during day may take 2 Tylenol extra strength
You need more than this. Twice a day is inadequate. Take it 4 times a day routinely and still take two at night.
Am icing knee 2-3 times a day. Was told when I finished rehab I should do on as needed basis. Maybe once a day.
I elevate my leg every time I sit in my recliner. Foot rest out and pillow under leg for as long as possible before having to get up.
Well whoever told you that has obviously never had a knee replacement! And you didn't say how long your iced for. I'll bet it's only about 20mins. Yes? You need to match your icing to your elevating and ice all the time you are elevating. Also elevate all the time you are sitting, watching TV, reading, all that! Juts read the article on both icing and elevating and make sure you're doing them both properly!
I do not do near as much housework cooking, shopping as before surgery.
'before surgery' is beside the point. I'm only interested in after surgery! So please tell me what you do on a daily basis as requested.
The last two weeks or so I have not done any PT/exercises. Maybe that is part of my problem. I just have not felt like it or hurt too bad.
No it's not. You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style

Please do provide the extra information I requested (just so I can check up on you!) and also if you can tell me what your bend and extension numbers are it would be helpful too.

Finally, I do sympathise with you about your husband. My sister, now 80, is having much the same problems with her husband. He is waiting to go into hospital for a cystoscopy too and there is a chance it might be cancer. It's not a happy time, is it? Hope your feller's results come back okay soon.

I am doing a lot better with knee pain. Upped my pain medication to 4 times a day. Yes I was only icing for 20 minutes at a time. I have upped that and after reading the articles found out I was not elevating properly. Have fixed that as well On a daily basis I fix myself a sandwich at lunch and fix a simple supper in the evening for us. I do about three loads of laundry wash and dry and fold once a week. Another day I will clean two full bathrooms over the course of the day. One day we will do grocery shopping. Try to go to church on Sunday and then out to lunch. The only numbers I remember is the range of motion was 120 degrees when I was six weeks out.

The pain I have now is from right hip and I am scheduled for hip replacement on June 9. My husband does have aggressive bladder cancer and will be having another procedure June 5. Have a good family support system to help out with all this.

Well, you're getting there! Jolly good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics