BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Sleeping positions....

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by missct1964, Aug 1, 2011.

1. missct1964

missct1964 New Member

Tomorrow will be six weeks since my right total knee replacement (6/21/11). Immediately following surgery I had numbness and tingling in my right foot. I was told this was possible given how bad my knee was prior to surgery. I have always been able to move my toes and the doc told me the symptoms would eventually go away. Over the last 6 weeks the numbness and tingling have given way to burning. And although the burning is getting better it seems to be worse after exercising at home, physical therapy, and is really bad while laying and sleeping. Given the need to move so much while laying down I am not getting much sleep. Can anyone suggest sleeping positions that would be more comfortable?
  2. kneesrus

kneesrus Sr Bonesmartie

Hi and welcome on board. It is very common to have a restless leg at night. I think you are going to have to experiment with having a pillow between you legs while lying on your side. I found lying on good side and having my new knee in front of the old side, but on the bed. The restlessness would go away by just walking to the bath room. I also recently have been using Biofreeze on the new knee at night and that seems to help.
    Keep trying and see what might work for you. You really can't do anything wrong at this point.
    David
  3. K8 Orlando

K8 Orlando Junior Member

I had a problem with my skin being hypersensitive following surgery. I found that using a spray, like Biofreeze or any sunburn spray that would numb the skin for a short time, helped me get to sleep. The sensitivity is gone now but it lasted for about 8 weeks. I also discovered that wearing thin knit pants, like yoga pants or very light sweat pants, helped with the burning feeling on my leg and was much easier to deal with than sheets rubbing on my bare leg.
  4. mbemle93

mbemle93 New Member

Most nights I try to sleep with my knee elevated. My physical therapists tells me that that keeps the swelling down and alleviates any pain that I have. It does help but I am a terrible sleeper anyway and sleeping medication does not work for me. Hope this works better for you.
  5. Bighank

Bighank Junior Member

It really just takes some experimentation. Also take advantage of any sleep time any where you can. (Other than while driving)

I am also a terrible sleeper and this has been my second biggest issue. Patients is my first. I want to get to the gym and get to work. However, as all of my friends on the forum have said. Slow down and let your body heal. Good luck
  6. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

Try using warm socks for your feet and an extra sheet that is not part of making the bed. This way you can free your leg but stay warm.:friends:
  7. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, missct.....welcome to BoneSmart.

Since you are only 6 weeks out from surgery (still early stages of recovery), tell me what pain medication you are taking and how frequently. It could be that you are undermedicating yourself and proper pain pills would help you be more comfortable at night.

I agree with the idea you should elevate your knee while sleeping. You should ice it well also....both front and back. I kept ice packs on my knee all night long (changing once during the night). Just be sure to wrap them in a kitchen towel so your skin doesn't get too cold.

I had some success with a heating pad at the small of my back also.
  8. Phillies Phan

Phillies Phan New Member

No matter how I start out, I always end up with my knees bent and sometimes it really hurts to straighten them out. My right knee is 10 months out and my left one 7...I find if I spend too much time in bed they really start to hurt...is this normal at this point?
  9. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Yes, it can happen. Remember this surgery takes a very long time for things to get back to normal. You can expect stiffness for a year or more....especially in cases where you have your legs in one position for a while.