BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Sitting on the floor after recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by cstreet, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cstreet

cstreet Member

I am new to forum any really happy to have found all of you. I have congenital coxa vara and had a bunch of surgeries when I was a kid to partially correct it and also a procedure to lenghten my leg.

I was always told I would need a new hip at some point and it's finally gotten to the point where I've cut down my activity levels as much as possible. I can't walk around the block without feeling it the next day. So I'm planning on getting a new hip over the summer.

I had a question for those of you on the other side about sitting on the floor. I have two little boys and so we play on the floor quite a bit. I have good range of motion on my bad hip so its not a problem now. I was wondering what I should expect once I'm in the long term recovery phase. Can you still sit on the floor, any sitting positions that won't work after a replacement?

2. TEXAS JACK

TEXAS JACK Senior

Dear cstreet,

Let me welcome you to the Forum....we are glad you got here. You'll find lots of friends, with lots of experience and a lot of opinions. Your starting a journey that will take you to a very special place....relief from the pain and confinement and an opportunity to regain/restore the full life style you once enjoyed. Ask any question, express any fear or concern and accept the support of a whole bunch of new friends who know the ropes.

I'm Texas Jack, 69, had my THR on 1/31/11 and am enjoying a rapid and very comfortable recovery.

Your question sounds simple, but the answer has a lot of variables. First , there's 2 stages to recovery: the early stage which can last 4-8 weeks Post Op and frequently has some physical restrictions imposed by your Doctor. The 2nd stage which takes you to the point where you have regained the maximum mobility, ROM, normality, etc. can take anywhere from 3, 6, 9 months. The good news is that your free of the bone pain from day one and your doing more and more of lifes little things on a daily basis.

The reason this all sounds a little vague is that each of us heal and mend at different rates. Most of the factors that control that rate are outside our personal control. Things like our previous medical history, how long and how much has our bodies suffered the consequences of the bad hip, what kind of shape are we in and the general state of our health, our age, which particular Replacement procedure our Doctor chooses to use ( they come in a variety of flavors), etc. One thing we can do and control is our attitude and frame of mind. No scientific studies to prove it, but my experience is that Hippies with an optimistic attitude and the capacity to envison a better and fuller life in the near future generally recover faster.

Your age is a very positive factor. Sounds like your getting around without a cane, walker, etc. another big plus. Your decision to go foward now is a huge benefit. A lot of us succumb to the " I'll wait until it gets really bad" syndrome.

I haven't answered your question because I can't. I'm not a Medical Professional and don't know a lot about you. I can offer my opinion that is if you can do it now there is no reason to believe you won't be doing it again shortly after your Op. Now that you joined us you'll get tons of opinions and lots of experience from the members. Some will be directly related to your situation, some may not. Process it all and take the time to read up on the detail info in the Library. The more you know the better will be your decisions as you go foward. The Internet is also a valuble source for info on procedures, Doctors, implants,etc. Trust me, you'll have questions you haven't even thought of.

Keep posting, tell us a little about yourself and your plans for going foward. Collectively we have done it all. There are 100's of thousands of THRs in the US annually with a 98+% success rate. Your about to become another happy number.

Again, welcome

Jack

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi cstreet, welcome to BoneSmart. I am glad you found us and hope you can share a bit more about yourself.

I suggest you spend some time in the Library reading in the Stories of amazing hip recoveries. Take note of a hippie called shugaplum.

Everyone recovers from THR differently. But I'll bet you are playing with your boys on the floor before you know it.

What you will need lots of is patience. Have a read of this thread How long does healing take. Recovery does take some time. As we say here it's a marathon not a race. Set your expectations now and you won't have any problems.

Hope you stay with us!

• Like Like x 1
  4. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Hi cstreet, I am 10 weeks post op and have been able to sit on the floor for the past couple of weeks. I only sit with straight legs and never cross them. I was very unsure of being able to actually get up and down but my physio showed me a way to do it without breaking the 90 degree restriction. I have no problems with it.
    Cathy

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Cathy, if your surgeon has lifted your restrictions, which he would have done at 6 weeks, you no longer have to worry about the 90 degree rule!

cstreet, welcome to BoneSmart. You've come to the right place for guidance and information. Of course you will be able to sit on the floor once you are healed and feel able to. The whole point of this surgery is to give the patient back his/her life and how you choose to take that and 'run' with it is entirely up to you! People have gone back to sports, athletics, climbing, hiking, house renovation and a dozen and one other activities. Sitting on the floor will be a minor thing by comparison!

6. HaggisWhisperer

HaggisWhisperer Member

Hi there! I was concerned about exactly the same thing to begin with - although it is a bit of a struggle to get down to the floor - and more so getting back up again, it was something I could do and I didn't want to be stuck not able to do this after the op. It wasn't helped by one orthopaedic surgeon trying to tell me I wouldn't be able to it it "ever" after my op. I was referred away from this consultant due to waiting times manipulations and sent to another hospital. That OS was more encouraging but still broke out in a sweat when he saw my X-rays. Due to the support on this site I was encouraged to find another OS with more experience doing hip replacements on younger people who have had congenital hip abnormalities. I found someone and my op is next week. Anyway, the OS I am seeing now, is very encouraging and has said that after my post op restrictions are lifted and I'm healed, the only things he would recommend that I don't do are parachuting and downhill skiing. So I reckon sitting on the floor will be OK :snork:

Nancy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Josephine

:th_heehee:

8. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Josephine , he did lift restrictions but I'm still being careful. I go to aquarobics and wonder if its ok to do a 'tuck' where you bring your knees up to your chest? What about swinging your operated leg across in front of your good leg? Up to now I haven't done these exercises as I was a bit nervous of dislocation. Am I being silly.:scratch:
    Cathy

9. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Cathy - I would still be a bit cautious with things like the tuck and crossing your legs. You are still fairly early out. Start those movements gradually and ease into them. I couldn't pull my knees into my chest until well after the 6 month mark.

10. mrsgibbo

mrsgibbo Member

Thanks Jacey. I'm pretty sure I could pull my knees into my chest but just not sure I should ( If you see what I mean).
    Cathy

11. Josephine

She spikka da trufe! :THUMB:

12. haldox

haldox Post-Grad

HI CStreet!! I have 2 children and I have been back to sitting,playing and wrestling on the floor with them! Actually its more than I have been able to do for a few years. Its been absolutely wonderful!

I am pretty sure you will also love your new shiny hip! and so will your kids:WINK1:

13. haldox

haldox Post-Grad

Cathy-I think if your questioning whether or not you should do these moves-then I would stay on the side of caution and not do them yet! Your body will let you do things as it thinks you should start doing them, even if your not questioning your body!

I think it was around the 2 month mark I started doing these moves.

14. Limpy

Limpy Member

Don't let the worry about playing on the floor deter you from the surgery. I missed too many fun things with my kids because I postponed surgery. Get your new hip and by next summer you'll be keeping up with your kids!

15. cstreet

cstreet Member

Thanks everyone for the responses!

16. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, cstreet....welcome to our BoneSmart family. I see you have already received a bunch of positive responses that should help you feel better about your upcoming surgery. You're going to do just fine!!

I look forward to more posts from you as you go through your journey.

17. skicubad

skicubad Junior Member

C street, I haven't posted for a while but thought I would pipe in and encourage you. I had my RTHR 5 months ago and the results have been amazing. Like Jo said, sitting on the floor is nothing! I am taking long bike rides, skating, playing tennis, and I am always squatting and getting up and down because I work as a remodeling carpenter. Also I am 57 years old (young). So don't sweat it. I can pull my leg all the way till my thigh touches my chest (basically 180 degrees) and can cross my legs. Make sure you get a large headed prosthesis that allows max range of motion and maximum stability . Best of luck. Vic

18. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

Just a note on range of motion measurements… 180 degrees of hip flexion is not anatomically possible. Hip ROM measured using a goniometer, as show in the picture below.

[​IMG]

To reach 180 degrees, the arms of this device would need to intersect during hip flexion. However, measurement is performed with those arms centered over the lateral midlines of the femur and abdomen, so that intersection is not possible. Normal ROM for hip flexion is around 120 degrees... maybe 130 for a very slender person.

19. Josephine

Absolutely correct, Alex

20. JuliaB

JuliaB New Member

I also have severe congenital coxa vara; my surgeon advised that my range of motion after surgery would be pretty much comparable to my range of motion as it existed prior to the disabling effect of the arthritis, after my recovery had progressed sufficiently. I'm now just over one year out, and for the most part my range of motion is pretty much back to what I was born with. So, if you could get down on the floor to play before, I suspect you'll be able to do so again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.