BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

sitting for long periods

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by highland pony, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highland pony

highland pony Member

Although I am overweight I dont have much padding on my bottom so tend to get very sore seat bones if I sit for long periods. I need to prepare for sitting in the recliner for my elevating my knee so what is the best thing to sit on:redface:
    I will get this knee sorted but am terrified of being in even more pain having had a serious humerus fracture which took 4 years to be pain free and kept me in hospital for several days I dont know whether I can cope. Not sure if the pain post op is severe or is manageable but I must admit to not finding any pain killer effective even morphine just made me sleepy it didnt make any difference to the pain when I was awake

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh honey - shoulder things are the worst and take ages to heal. Provided you stick with the BoneSmart mantra you will be fine. That's rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock!

That means, don't do too much in the first 2-3 weeks, practically nothing except regular basic exercises and walking to the bathroom and back, elevate 'toes above nose' and use ice practically all day long. Plus take the maximum dosage and frequency of pain meds prescribed and no cutting back because they make you feel loopy! That's just our way of making sure you rest a lot!

Read these and see some more information about it all - should keep you occupied for an hour or two! :wink1:
    The first set is essential reading, the second is useful and the third just good information but you will need it all
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    How Long Does Healing Take ......
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
    Using ice

Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
    So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
    Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
    About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
    Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
    Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
    It's never too late to get more ROM!
    It's Worth the Wait for ROM
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    I suggest you get a piece of 3- or 4-inch memory foam for your chair. It will be more comfortable than just a pillow.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Just remember what was said in the first posting, rest, ice, elevate and pain control. You will be ok. Just take a easy. when you do move, go slow and use a walker. People in the hospital are there to help you. If you are in pain or need something please let them know. Take care! :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

Highland Pony,

you're not alone - I think we're all scared when we're waiting for the op and not knowing what it will be like during recovery. It's one thing reading all about it - quite another when it's your own experience. If all goes according to plan for me, my first TKR will be over and done in 2 months' time (I still have to meet the surgeon - so there might be a change of plan...). One thing I am certain of is that obviously there will be a level of post-op pain, but I am used to severe pain anyway. When I have my rheumatoid arthritis flare ups it's like walking on broken glass and putting any weight on my knees is so painful it used to almost make me cry to walk - and normal pain meds don't really help. Luckily at the moment that type of pain is under control but I kind of know what to expect, and we should get pain meds that work (hopefully!). One thing to remember is that the pain will go - unlike the pain your knees give you at the moment, so I tell myself there will be a light at the end of the tunnel. And there's always someone on this board to help when you need to vent!

With regards to your question on sitting for long periods: I notice your based in the UK. Do you have an Aldi store near you? They have a special offer from Thursday for memory foam support pillows - I will get one of the back support ones (will probably be good for sitting on) and one of the knee support ones. They're only £8 each - so really good value. They also have those tray type tables which I might get - must get prepared :th_heehee:. Breakfast in bed to look forward to :snork:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Excellent reply Phoenixx29 :thumb:

Highland Pony - I must admit my bottom did get a little sore after about week 1 so you are wise to try and take measures to avoid it if possible. I tried moving around as much as possible and getting up every hour to stretch the legs. I also used a ton of E45 cream on my rear end, as suggested to me by my friend that is a nurse - that worked well!

With the pain management I would say it is best not to get too stressed in advance of this as everyones pain threshold is different. The most pain I had was in hospital the day after the op and they got it under control very quickly and then after that it really was fine. I was sent home with a cocktail of pills and only took the basic stuff and not for long. I was so pleasantly surprised as to how little pain I had - maybe I was one of the lucky ones and you could be too. I know some folks will comment that their pain was really bad but as I say we are all different and you will not know how it will fall for you until the time comes. I really stressed about the pain and the medication I would have to take - that was a waste of energy looking back!

Good wishes to you and keep us posted :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. highland pony

highland pony Member

Thanks everyone I have read and read and read the various library sections and the post op recovery forum I am fairly confident I have a high pain threshold as when I broke my ankle/knee the initial cause of the need for the replacement I caught the pony, treated his injuries which were minor and went home for a shower and to shave my legs in case they had to put a pot on me. Everyone around refused to believe I was badly hurt as the pony came first and being clean came second before I even went to the hospital they were genuinely surprised when I arrived a day or two later on crutches and in a cast. One even went as far as to say she would have been screaming.
    I must admit the severe fracture my humerus was horrendous it was broken and displaced in 8 different places The only treatment was to sit very still with it hung round my neck to prevent damage to the radial nerve I got a sore bum as I had to sit very still and sleep upright sitting up
    I wouldnt wish that pain on anyone not even my worst enemy

8. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

:thumb: you will be fine!! Something similar happened to my friend - she got thrown off her horse and did her knee in (big time), she sorted the horse out, got her daughter looked after and took a load of pain killers, then drove herself to hospital and was told she had done her ACL - very nasty!!! You ladies with horses tend to be tough!!! You will be fine :thumb: Your other injury sounds so horrible, it makes me shudder!! Keep in touch :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  9. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

Just think after you have the surgrey you will be able to ride a horse. I didn't read all your post so I hope this help. Getting your life back is so important. Take care and stay safe. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:friends:

10. Phoenixx29

Phoenixx29 Senior

Highland Pony,

now I know this is not funny, but your story made me chuckle. Your femur broken in 8 places and displaced - and you go home to shave your legs? Now that's what I call hardcore :biggrin:.

I seriously cannot image that a TKR can be any more painful than what you went through then - plus we should be given immediate pain control after the op. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the meds will work!

11. highland pony

highland pony Member

Sorry no it was my knee and ankle that were broken so my tibia at both ends.
    The humerus bone is the upper arm and a different and very painful break

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.