Shoes for Post Op?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OUCH!

senior
Country
United States United States
Trying to figure out what shoes I will need after surgery. Because of my arthritic hip, knee and ankle and plantar fasciitis, I currently live in running shoes with orthotics. From the time I get up in the AM until I go to bed at night.

I thought I read that we shouldn't wear slip ons due to fall risk, but I won't be able to tie my shoes due to the 90 degree restriction. So, what does everyone do?

Forgive me, I will be flooding the board with questions over the next few weeks. I want to get everything in place before we leave on vacation August 16. Between vacation and kids starting school, I soon won't have much time for myself.

Elastic shoe laces! The aren't the best but a good for a temporary situation. Running shoes are very good post op. Great support and keeps you steady on your feet.

No slip ons?!!? Really? I live in Skechers Go Walk slip ons since I can get them on and not have to struggle with socks and laces.
I had planned to buy a brand new pair to have after surgery as I had read here it was good to have a new pair since we all wear the soles out in a unusually way limping.

Speaking of shoes, I sure hope I can someday wear flip flops again. :( Being in AZ and it so hot I used to live in flip flops or sandles but this year it is really hard to walk in them.

Yesterday, at Joint Academy, they said NOT to get a new pair for at the hospital, or immediately after, since no doubt we will be swollen - they want you to have 'comfy' and not to have to break in a new pair.

@ouch You should talk to your surgeon about the orthotics - with a new hip those may need to be adjusted - and your OS might want you to delay using them while you heal from the hip replacement. Also definitely get new shoes or have old ones resoled - old shoes are worn down in maladaptive pattern from your before surgery limping. You want to start off a new hip with unworn soles so your gait can return to normal. Don't know why you heard no slip ons - I wore mules after my BTHR though around the house I mostly went about in socks and no shoes.

I was terrible and didn't listen to their advice to not use my sandals. I live in sandals from the time it's over freezing til the time it freezes again. I can also get them on without bending and they worked with the compression socks.

If I'm in the house or yard, barefoot is best for me.

I just bought mine yesterday. I am now a huge fan of the brand Vionic. Check them out online....see what they're about. I put them on and went "ahhh". Got no tie laces, too.

I had Keen Whisper slides, which I don't think they make any more. Wore them for the hospital and nobody said a word. They have an elastic system for adjusting width which was very handy for the swelling.
Elastic laces are very good too, for athletic shoes.
Beware with shoe shopping post op-- I shopped for a new pair of running shoes 8 weeks post op, and am convinced it was specifically that occasion which sent me into what must be chronic tendonitis. All that bending over the anterior incision. I could feel it being too much! Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I found a nice pair of slip-on shoes at Payless. They are light and easy to wear. And also being in Arizona, I can't wait for sandals but I don't really do flip-flops because of other foot issues.

I haven't worn flipflops in years, and decided to give up my wonderful wooden clogs as too high impact, but here three years out I think I'd be fine. I wear any shoe my feet like!
May use Toms classics this time...

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I wear flip flops all the time, starting about four days after my THR. I wear the same sorts of shoes that I did before THR, so lots of sandals and other casual shoes.

I wore slip-on Skechers which they didn't like at rehab but they had a little bit of a back to them to keep them in place, and I walked very slowly and deliberately so it wasn't an issue and they never slipped off. It was nice not to have to deal with laces but I did have to be very careful

I am busy pre planning. Totally different weather 2nd time around. Last year was the end of July, next is the end of November. I will look at the Skechers. I bought these new stretch bands from Hickies from my sneakers. I totally could not figure out the elastic bands.

They look great Tweetybrd! I wear a narrow, so I would have to try on. They would definitely work for cold weather recovery. Thanks for posting

I've been barefoot 24/7 inside and wear slip-ons when leaving the house. Just make sure they fit you correctly so they don't trip you up. I never went to PT, so slip-ons have worked out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker