BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Shoes after TKR?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by eeskiracer, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eeskiracer

eeskiracer Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I am still struggling a bit with pain, but doing well at 3 months post op. I found today that taking an ibuprofen (as you all suggested) rather than Tylenol, really is helping. Now I have a question regarding shoes, and after doing an exhaustive search of the internet, can't really find anything. I have pretty much been wearing flats for years except for special occasions because of the arthritis pain. Clearly since surgery I have been wearing flats, however I have some nice low heeled shoes I would like to wear to work. What is the advise when it comes to heels for women after a TKR, both in the early recovery and later?
    Thank you for any input....
    Cheers!
  2. ruppbike

ruppbike Sr Bonesmartie

I don't know about heels and flats (?) but I was advised to throw away all my shoes and start with new ones since the old ones were worn in to your old configuration and if you wanted to walk correctly with your new knee(s) then you should break in the new shoes to your new body and not have your old shoes hold you back from a normal gait. I did not toss my $250 cycling shoes, but did put new inserts into them. This has made a profound difference in the foot pain that I experenced as I started to walk and cycle.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. eeskiracer

eeskiracer Junior Member

Thank you, that is good advice, and makes me feel better that I bought new cycling shoes....they were 200.00, but my old ones were 4 years old so I guess thats okay. I will look at the rest of my shoes now...thank you for the reminder!
  4. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

I agree getting new shoes allows you to have good stability without an uneven or worn pattern. Helps avoid back and knee pain.
  5. brs0660

brs0660 Forum Advisor

Shoes....you can wear whatever is comfortable. Depends on how much you are on your feet at work. I am up and down a lot at work...so good supportive shoes are important for me. Lot's of folks have even worn spikey heels post surgically.

I agree with checking your old shoes for wear patterns. You definitley do not want to irritate your feet, hips or back!!! How about these??

Platform_High_Heel_Shoes.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    You will be able to wear heels if you want to. You may need to start with some lower ones just to get back into the swing of it again. Wear whatever you start with for short periods of time in the beginning.

It is a good idea to replace your shoes because of the old wear patterns. You're almost going to need to try on shoes to see what is most comfortable for you right now.
  7. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

I have been happily wearing cute little flats instead of my orthopedic looking shoes that held my othodics.

I did get all new shoes--often wear dansko clogs and boots--sorry, it is Montana! I have a pair of little wedge heels that I have worn to a few parties---wow, I can actually wear shoes that look nice with a dress.

I think you can wear whatever you want, within reason. Anything high would require good balance on your part.
  8. Max Wallace

Max Wallace Graduate

4 weeks after surgery I went to the mall with my wife for a little shopping. During my recovery I had noticed my feet were hurting and getting worse the more time went along. When we got to the mall and had gone to several stores, I broke off and told her I was going to the shoe store. I tried on several shoes found a pair that felt good and bought them (minutes later no pain). I went back and found my wife and continued the rest of the afternoon without pain so I threw away all of my old shoes and bought new ones. No more pain.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Member

I always thought wearing shoes like that was considered a sport that I never mastered. I'll keep my dansko's!
  10. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

Interestingly, I was unable to wear my (new) Danskos purchased about 2-3 months prior to my Tkr.
    I also tossed out all my shoes, not so much because they were worn prior to my TKR, but beause I'm a girl and I needed new shoes (As any normal woman knows, no matter how bad you feel, or how much weight you gain, getting a nice new pair of shoes is the ticket to a happy day).:WINK1:

In regard to heels, I did start wearing them about 6 months out. I bought a nice pair of black pumps from The Walking Store. Once those worked out, I splurged on a nice pair of leopard pumps from Steve Madden!!!! Both have 2 inch heels.
    I am on my feet all day, so I do not wear the heels, I found Ariats to be Dansko like, but way lighter in weight and I felt more stable in them.

Maybe try the heels and have a back up pair of shoes in your bag. If you are in a lot of pain at night after wearing the heels, put them away for a while and try again later.
    Sandy
    • Like Like x 1
  11. lionsm13

lionsm13 Member

You might try "Z Coil" shoes. They make boots too. They purportedly take 50% of the load beaing weight off of your joints. I have worn them for several years and they seem to help considerably.

Here is a pic of how they look; They do make them w/enclosed heals too so you cannot see the spring.. They are pricey but they last 2-3 times longer than your regular shoes/boots. They are good for hips and knees and your back as well.
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  12. referee54

referee54 Moderator

I am lucky---our principal allows us to wear athletic shoes to school. I personally really like New Balance shoes, as they come in EEEE sizes.

After my BTKR, I went out and bought several new pairs of shoes as my feet suddenly didn't feel right, and walking in the old shoes was awkward, my gait and the way my feet fell was different than what was predicated by my old shoes.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. leenie60

leenie60 Graduate

My OS said not to change anything for at least 6 months so I haven't gotten any new shoes yet but I gotta tell you I'm pretty darn tired of wearing my Nike sneakers. I have two pairs and I have a pair of Brooks walkers in black. The running shoes make it hard to dress for work so I wear a lot of slacks. I do have a pair of clogs that I can wear as long I don't go out for a walk. When I've worn my boots due to the cold, because they zip vs. tie by the end of the day my knee is pretty sore. Otherwise, I haven't really tried heels yet but I am so ready to go shopping for some new footwear. In general I have trouble buying shoes and really hate the idea of dishing out $200 +/- every time I need a new pair.
  14. margaretd

margaretd Senior

I have to agree with Leenie, simply because your new knee does not miraculously make you walk better automatically. It takes about 6 months or so for you to get to the point where your weight is distributed properly and your walk/gait is good.
    My suggestion would be to get 1 or 2 pair of new shoes that feel comfortable to you now, but not to go on a shopping spree until you are to the place where everything is working correctly.
    I still wear flats mostly, and I have a pair of wedge boots that I didnt wear much prior to surgery so they dont have a "memory" of my feet, and they work well. I find that the flats need insoles that have a raised heel in them so you don't feel flat footed, you have a little bit of height in the area to keep your lower back from hurting, at least in my case.
    I threw out dozens of shoes when I went on my cleaning binge, they were conformed to my old walk, so I knew they would not work with new walk, so Goodwill got a big shipment of shoes last week.

I am waiting for about another month or 2 before I go try on shoes, since I am a few months behind in healing. I figure by then I should be walking better gaitwise.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Well I am of no help at all because I hate to wear dress shoes and avoid it at all costs. I have about 40 pair of running shoes in my closet, assorted brands and colors. Any dress shoes are reserved for weddings and funerals! With that being said...they best thing that you can do for your feet is get a gait analysis. Even in athletic shoes like I wear, there are huge differences. Wearing the wrong shoe can put great stress on your knees, and this I know to be true from being a runner for years. Basically there are three foot types;
    1. Neutral
    2. Pronation
    3. Supination

There is a shoe for each foot type. If you are a number 2 for an example your ankles would roll inward as you step many times arch collapsing, so you would need 'Stability Shoes' which keep your ankles from rolling in and give your extra arch support.

If you were a number 3, then you would walk more on the outside of your foot and if you wore a 'Stability shoe, it would push you outward even more thus causing problems, a number 3 would wear a 'Neutral' shoe.

A perfectly aligned step would also wear a 'Neutral' shoe.

If you were a severe number 2 with flat feet then you would wear a 'Motion Control' shoe which would support your arch and keep you from rolling inward which puts stress on your knees.

Shoes are of no worry to me, I have plenty of new shoes waiting to be run in, but remember...replace your shoes when they are worn out because they are not supporting you at all when they are broken down.

:doggieshmooze: Bonnie

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Interesting information, Bonnie! Thanks for posting it.
  17. leenie60

leenie60 Graduate

Bonnie - great post. I'm a pronator and have inserts and just have a terrible time buying shoes. What I can't really tell is when the shoe has broken down? I've had the Nikes since probably mid-late summer last year and wear them all the time, but not for running. Also I got custom inserts last spring and specifically remember the podiatrist adding a bit of height to the right insert. I'm not going to do anything about it just yet, but I'm thinking that if my new knee is now "longer" that my legs are probably even and the right wouldn't be longer any more and might need to be shaved down??? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
  18. referee54

referee54 Moderator

That is why I wear the New Balance shoes designed for, shall I say, not your normal run-of-the-mill people, as I am built like a linebacker, (which I was...) so I wear the shoes that help me through the pronation problems. IF I do not, I get tendinitis on the inside of my ankle.

While I do not run anymore, there are two great stores for runners here on the west side of Cleveland that del quite well with shoes and these issues, unfortunately, many people just go to big-box stores and get the shoes...
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

That is something that I forgot to say Tim, about people going to BIG BOX stores. Most people go in, look for what they call 'their favorite brand', then a color that they like, usually buy too small, and women will find a color without knowing anything about the shoe, thinking..."This will go with a lot of my outfits!" Most BIG BOX store employees have NO expertise in finding the right shoe for you, they just merely retrieve the size that you ask for. You should have a full thumbs width at the end of your longest toe, at the very least 1/2 thumbs width, your toes should NEVER touch the end of your shoes. Try on shoes later in the day when your feet are naturally more swollen not first thing in the morning. There are specialty stores all over the country, you don't have to buy some kind of weird shoes, just the right kind for your feet. Every brand, just to name a few...Nike, New Balance, Asics, Mizuno, Saucony, Brooks, Adidas ALL have shoes for every foot type. Each of these brands is of equal quality. Buy mid line and up, never down from mid line. Go cheap and you will pay the doctor, buy up and your feet and knees will feel great!

Bonnie :doggieshmooze:
  20. BigGene

BigGene Sr Bonesmartie

Athletics shoes have come a long way. But I still remember my black high top Converse All Stars from back in the day.

Oh yeah, all those sprained ankles too!!!

Some thing are better now than in the good old days.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.