sharp pain in groin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRoses

Hi Everyone

Well im 10days post op now and everything was coming along nicely until yesterday,i started getting this really intense pain in my groin when im trying to stand up or sit down.When i tried to make it to the bottom of the stairs to go and have a lie down,i found that even with putting my weightthrough my arms and crutches i couldnt put enough weight on my operated leg for me to start going upstairs.

This continued everytime i tried to get out of bed or sit on the toilet,after a nights rest it started again this morning,ive had the dr out and he doesnt think its anything serious just told me to take it easy with the stairs. At the moment ive had a couple of little walks round the bedrooms and everything is ok at the moment.
ive read joans thread about her groin pain which started after 4 weeks but woundered if anyone else had experianced this early on and how did you get around the problem.the pain is so sevear it makes me cry out.

Too much ironing? If your doc has checked you out I would just do as he says. Rest, ice and elevate. If you are doing any housework or chores - don't! As Jo says, it's too early to do anything except rest and recover.

You are very early out from your op. It is normal to have various aches and pains. Don't panic - you body is just telling you to slow down.

Blueroses I have had the same thing. However in my case we are not sure if it is further nerve damage, or just still surgery pain:scratch:

If the pain in my case does not go away then we know it is nerve damage, but to be absolutely sure I have an appointment on 5th July with Pain Management Team for further testing.

In your case I think it is as Jacey has said though. Way to much and way to soon.:rolleyespink:

Thanks Jacey and Paignton, im just taking it real easy havent even gone downstairs today just a few trips to the bathroom as im giving the stairs a miss. I really hope its down to just doing that ironing although im definatley not doing that again and no other little jobs i promise:DOH:

:thumb: Good for you. Fingers crossed with a little TLC things will start to ease!

Hey Twin!
I've been getting a very sharp pain right at the joint when I stand up and the first step when I put weight on it. It reminds me of the pre-surgical pain.
My hubby keeps reminding me that the joint is brand new and nothing is wrong with it, but the muscles have a lot to recover from. I see my doctor on Tuesday to get my staples out, so if it's still hurting, I will ask him about it.

Bluerose-
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Funny, I got on here to ask the same question. At 10 days today, I woke up this morning with groin pain.:scratch: I have been full weight baring since day one. All of my sore muscles pain is gone and now all I have is a slight pinching at the staples and a groin pain. I got nervous because I thought this is what the surgery was getting rid of.:skeptical: I took some meds and it backed off a bit. Sounds like we need a little extra ice, a little more rest and to take our meds… also, I started getting the feeling that I have read about so many times on here… my op leg is longer than my no op leg… have you got that one yet?
<o:p></o:p>
All in all I think we are just going through the normal healing process together :wink1:. I bet that is what Jo is going to tell us. It’s just all this new stuff is a little concerning.

Hiya Karen, Please take it easy, Please stop the flippin ironing,Please rest. Do as you are told. lol

How many times must I tell you ladies? One week, two weeks, three weeks is too early to be doing anything but rest.
Plus you need to be taking your pain meds regularly, full dose you were prescribed. No cutting back. What you have is simply post operative pain which will continue for a few weeks yet.

WOW JOSEPHINE, Thats what i call a telling off, But it sounds like some Ladies need it. Pay attention or do 100 lines I must not do any housework.

Here's what I've been discovering over and over again: every time I think I have a predictable pattern going, it changes. Just when I think I'm totally fine, I get a new pain. Just when I think the new pain is here to stay and it means something is wrong, the pain stops. I go back to being fine. Or I get an entirely different pain. Then I go back to feeling wonderful. Whoa....here comes yet another different kind of pain.

I'm learning slowly to wait it out, and to not count on anything just yet. Each moment is what it is. If it's bad, it will get better. If it's good, I try to build on it.

So don't panic at groin pain....yep, went through that stage. Haven't had it in several weeks, so it's probably due to return soon. I've just been through several days of first thing in the morning pain almost as bad as the first week; that had me in a tizzy. And then this morning...no problem at all.

And a free pass from housework....oh my yes, take it. :)

Bottom line....nothing seems normal to each of us as individuals, but the collective experience on this forum shows that it's all entirely normal. Aren't we lucky to have a place to pool all this experience and information!!

Sharon

I'm learning slowly to wait it out, and to not count on anything just yet. Each moment is what it is. If it's bad, it will get better. If it's good, I try to build on it.

That's a good approach Sharon! Healing takes time - I know we say it over and over again but you can't put a schedule to healing.

I just posted my one year out thread. After 12 months I am still healing! Just relax and take things day by day. It's not a race!

Thanks for all your comments ladies
Karen- i would be interested in what your dr though this might be,my pain was similar to when the epidural wasnt working -very strong,

Dawnfair - im so pleased to hear someone else has had this although im taking my meds regularly as instructed and rest-well dont think i can possibly do more of that than i am doing.although mum said this morning i dont think you should even be on that computer :what: not sure where she gets idea from :scratch:

Sharon your post makes me feel so much better that this will sort its out thankyou:ThankYou:

an interesting point come to me this morning ive suffered fron lower back pain -just a stiff ache for years and im sure that has disappeared. may be the positives fron a hip replacement are kicking in already :thumb:

Just an update about the groin pain for anyone who is suffering,mine is much better now,yes i have to be careful and think what im doing taking it nice and steady but on the few occassions its kicked in its definatly not as severe as when it first started :thumb:

Is it me or has anyone else felt like they have been abandonded since they come out of hospital?

im 2 weeks post op today and when i came out of hospital last tuesday i was told the distric nurse would come to take the stitches out in 10 days -she has just rung this afternoon wanting to know whats happening as theres nothing on my discharge letter.so shes calling to look at the wound tomorrow.

Also the hospital said they would ring in a weeks time to see how things are going and how im managing -again nothing as yet?

I also notice alot of people on here are having pt ,when i asked about exercise to do at home i was told the best thing was to walk,im also a bit worried as ive no idea how i should be progressing -i havnt been outside yet and at the moment think i need to be a bit more confident around the house.i hate going downstairs unless someones there with me.

Hubby is supposed to be going back to work on monday and i just dont feel at the stage yet to be on my own when hes going to be out of the house for about 12/13 hours a day

any advise please

BlueRoses, I am not sure why they didn't tell you to get in touch with your GP. Once you are discharged it's your GP who should do things like taking stitches out and providing you with refills on your meds.

PT is rarely prescribed in the UK. But if you feel you need it - again it's your GP who will refer you. I asked and got PT right away.

Are you getting around the house with your walking aides? What are you most concerned about in terms of being alone during the day?

I was alone from the start of my recovery. What I did was set up a place where I was comfortable. I had the basic necessities within reach - meds, water, grabbers. I would get up and make myself small lunches or snacks. That gave me more confidence to move around the house.

I think you will find you are just fine on your own. If you have any concerns just come here and share. We all went through this and are here to help!

I remember being a bit scared of being on my own at first. My mum and then sister came to stay initially to look after me and keep me company. I felt quite lonely and sorry for myself the first day but my hubby kept ringing to see if I was ok. And like Jaycey, I made sure I had everything to hand. I asked friends to pop round for coffee too and a couple of them brought lunch- that was nice and broke the day up. My main fear was of falling over......you'll soon get your confidence back and enjoy the independence as you get stronger. Put some plans in place perhaps you'll feel a bit better about it all. Good luck :0)

I understand what you mean BlueRoses.

But you should have been told what Jaycey has already said. I got in contact with my GP and had my stitches taken out by the Nurse. I asked for a District Nurse but they said 'No'.

The Physio at the Hospital had said he would refer me for Physio which happened. I think that was due to my history and where I live.

I was told I would be sent my OS 6 week appt but never heard anything so rang myself to make one.

What I've learned throughout my life is that you have to advocate for yourself as it can be hit and miss sometimes.

Make some phone calls and push for what you want.
Good luck
Jyoti

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023