BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

Sharp knife stabbing pain

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by bionicman, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bionicman

bionicman New Member

I am 7 weeks post-op TKR and have developed a sharp knife stabbing pain as of this past thursday. It comes and goes and happens mostly when I am laying down and I am turning on my side with the pillow in between my legs. I have had pain since day 1 but not like this. This is a crippling pain that stops me in my tracks. I was 90 degrees 2 weeks post-op and lost some range of motion leading into week 4. I had a knee manipulation and gained 30 degrees that same day after therapy. The following day I felt like someone hit my quad with a sledgehammer. I am very committed to rehab and working on my own. I can ride the stationary bike fluently and my forced ROM on my stomach was 115 this past wednesday. The stiffness is there everyday and I have to work up to getting loose. I have iced since day one and I have always been told that my knee looks great from a swelling point of view. Im not sure if I am elevating enough though. I went back to my doctor on Friday because of this new pain. He could not explain. He said everything looked great in the x-rays and he did a ligament test on my knee which he said was very good. This pain is located on the right outside lower portion of my knee. It feels like nerve pain. His only explanation was the cortisone shot wearing off after the manipulation. The only thing that helps is a open front knee brace that is supported on the sides that I am only using to sleep in. Im not sure if this is okay to wear. I need to understand where this pain is coming from and is it something to be concerned with.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, bionicman....welcome to BoneSmart.

Well, first let me say at a mere 7 weeks out, you are still VERY early in the recovery process. Here is a chart that will show you how the various part impacted by your surgery will heal.

[​IMG]

Please also take a look at this entire thread in the LIBRARY and you'll see what I'm talking about.

You are pushing yourself too hard for this stage. Try taking the exercise and activity (like walking, errands, normal "living" stuff) easier for a couple of weeks and see if you don't feel better. Continue to ice and elevate (toes above your nose) as much as you can. Ice all around the knee even if you don't see swelling. It doesn't take much internal swelling to cause problems in the knee compartments because they are very compact.

Don't force your ROM....just gentle stretches. It's okay to ride the bike daily, but no resistance and only for about 5-10 minutes total for now.

The fact that you are reporting "stiffness" indicates you do have swelling as well as pain. If you are not taking something for pain management, start taking at least 2 extra strength Tylenol (1000 mg) 4 times a day...every day for a couple of weeks, whether you feel you need it or not. If you can take NSAIDs, it also will help to take 800mg of ibuprofen a day along with the Tylenol. They work quite well together.

Be prepared to have lots of aches and pains as you go through recovery. They come and go and are usually a sign that you need to slow things down a bit. It doesn't last forever. Most people report they are starting to feel normal again at about 6 months out. But....for some, it can take a year or more. This is tough surgery and the recovery can be long. It goes better if you take a slow and steady approach to your increased activity.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MsPhyne

MsPhyne Junior Member

United States United States
    I had the same thing on the right side of my knee, i had alot of damage and he had to do extra work, swelling was there too. after i took 2 days no working out just up and down for bathroom breaks and 48 hours icing day 3 I was a bit better and was able to resume. I was told im pushing too hard i still got 9 months to go, take my time and do not over do it, let it run its course. relax and breath! and welcome to the group!
  4. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

Hi, Bionic.

It seems that you are too focussed on forcing the knee, an MUA after only 2 weeks, when you already had a ROM of 90 is an amazing approach. If that was standard procedure, we'd all have had MUA's .!!!

Firstly, you have to accept that your knee would have recovered perfectly all right if you had left it alone, with only gentle exercises. Remember in the UK, we virtually NEVER do PT, and we recover without all these problems. But it's never too late to start caring for your new knee:thumb:

I'm sure your current pain is a result of your knee saying "please leave me alone, while I recover", so STOP IT!! :snork:, it'll recover OK without all that abuse.

One of our mantras on here is :

More Pain, less gain.
  5. bionicman

bionicman New Member

Thank you for the insight. I am going to tell my physical therapist to slow down. I often wondered how my body was going to recover with all of the bending and stress they are putting on my body. It seems that since the day after my surgery the hospital,home and outpatient therapists have been very agressive with me. Im not sure if my age and physical condition have anything to do with this approach. I am only 40 years old and this is my second joint replacement. I had a hip replacement 12 years ago at the ripe age of 28. I had perthes leg-calve disease of the right hip as a child and new that this was in my future. I was diagnosed with level 3 Avascular Necrosis back in January which is a form of Perthes when the joint is not getting the blood supply. I was told that the knee would eventually collapse from the weakening of the joint. I was experiencing weakness and my knee would give out time to time. Last May my knee gave out and caused me to roll over my foot and fracture it in 3 places. I was having a hard time recovering the foot which led to the diagnoses of my knee. Being so young I live an active life with two small children and my job and owning a bagel franchise in a very popular summer vacation destination I need to get back to my life as soon as possible but I do not want to do anything that will hinder my progress. My hip replacement was very successful and I was back to full speed in 4 months and have never looked back. I am praying that my knee will produce the same outcome. I understand that the knee is a much more complicated joint and needs more tender love & care. Please feel free to discuss anything that might help me reach my goals. It is very interesting to hear that in the UK they do not have physical therapy.
  6. goodasnew

goodasnew Graduate

Hi Bionicman, I am relatively young too and was pleasantly surprised by the PT approach here in the UAE. I was treated in a sports medicine clinic with very gentle PT 3 x week for 8 weeks then was signed off. My knee has continued to improve with just the heel slides, a little static cycling, kneeling on my bed and putting a little pressure on it and normal everyday activities like walking and using stairs. It feels better every week as long as I don't overdo it! This is definitely a long journey and you must listen to your body. Take it Easy!
  7. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

So the UAE and British approaches are the same, and both successful.

So be confident Bionic, if you read a lot on here, you will see many new members who join here in pain from stupid PT's. It seems an American approach, but thankfully it's only a few and you are unlucky to have found one.

Believe it, just because they have letters after their name doesn't mean they aren't stupidly ignorant:wink1:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.