Set back

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanman

I just spent 3 days n the hospital. My knee had gotten infected n the surgical cut. I was amazed how quickly the infection grew. After some testing and aspiring the knee it was determined the infection is a surface infection an not down in the joint. Still nothing to take lightly. after 3 days of iV antibiotics I was sent home with some oral antibiotics. It is still draining but looks much better now than it did a few days ago. I am bummed tho as I was doing well ans was suppose to start out patient therepy this week , looks like I am now going to be set back a few weeks. knee is still sore but not nearly as sore as it was Saturday. if u get even a small amount of redness call your doctor immediately
Chanman

I'm glad you got to the doctor and are okay now. It sounds like you are back on track with recovery, even though you might have a slight setback.

Chanman, would you please put your surgery date in your signature? It helps us keep things in perspective about how far out from surgery you are. If you don't know how to do this, I can help.

I'm so sorry to hear about your setback, Chanman. Very glad that you didn't put off going to your doc, and glad that things are back on the road to recovery.

You're right about needing to watch the scars and being aware of negative changes.

Hang in there! It is only a temporary setback on the road to the rest of your life with a good knee!

Weezy

On the bright side, the infection was superficial. If it was in the joint THAT is a setback.

Try to think of this as just a 'detour' on your road to healing.
Sandy

Glad it was caught early and you are also recuperating.

I know how scary it all is, I have been fighting a battle with my hip infection for a week now, included surgery and now IV pennicillin for 6 more weeks and then please dear God make it gone.

Oh well, listen you take care of yourself and everything will be fine..........Jackie

Could have been worse - a lot worse. Glad you're making ground.

Jamie I cant figure out how to add my date but i had a total knee replacement on the right knee Aug. 2nd 2010

I was so glad wen all the results came back and it was determined that it was superficial and not down n the joint. That took a couple of anxious days before we got the results. After I read all the things that could happen if the joint got infected I reached a high state of anxiety until we got the good news. I was also amazed just how badly it hurt, it hurt to move it so that made me even more anxious. but now I need to continue to take my antibiotics and the doc has me coming n every week for the next 3 weeks to monitor.
I was suppose to start out patient therapy last Monday, but was n hospital , Doctor said he wanted to hold off on it until this heals up..
thanks to everyone for your thoughts and comments!

chanman, I added the info to your signature but it's not showing. You need to go to your User Control Panel (top left hand of this page) and from the menu on the left choose Edit Signature and see if it's there. If it is, go to Edit Options in the menu and see if you have all the boxes ticked for "Show Signatures, Show Avatars, Show Smilies".

You can also find information about all this in FORUM TECH (top of this page) and "How to use the forum".

Chanman, you are very fortunate that they caught it while it was still superficial!:D

I tried to get them to listen to me while I was still in the hospital about the band of swelling across my knee. It was a different color than the rest of the incision. One nurse told me it was infected and she tried to get the doctor to listen, but he said it wasn't infected. :shk:

When I went in to get my staples removed, the drs. dad took out the staples and I pointed out the band of red again and told him it was hurting, but he said it would be alright. Two days later it burst open and lots of infection covered the floor while I was sleeping.

In the end I have ended up with a MRSA infection and have had one revision, and that did not take care of all of the MRSA so I am going to see the revisionist tomorrow to see what steps we need to take next.

So you see, prevention and early detection is best! If ANYONE thinks there is something wrong with their body, LISTEN! I knew things were wrong, I just didn't push hard enough to get the dr. to listen and I am paying dearly for it now!:skp:

I have been out of the hospital since Tues after being readmitted with an infection,, and am taking antibiotics orally 4x a day(Keflex) It seems to get better every day. the redness is residing an there is just 2 very small areas that drain. I go back to the Doctor Tuesday and I am hoping he will release me to start back with PT. I am still walking everyday and am walking a mile 2x a day on flat surfaces. I walk up the hill by my house, I dont know how far it is but it is steep an gives me a workout. I can tell my knee is stiffer since he has stopped me form bending exercises but i am sure that will catch up as soon as he turns me loose.
for some reason my date of surgery wont post in the lower corner but I had total knee replacement right knee..Aug 2nd and returned to the hospital Aug 29th with an infection

Chanman,
Sorry to hear about your set back. One of the best signs you are getting well, is to walk Down hill. Glad to hear you are feeling better.
David
L TKR 12/19/07

After going to the Doctor to check out whats left of the infection,I went back to work today.The infection is almost clear and he gave me the OK so start Out patient PT.
Work went pretty well, I wanted to challenge myself so I chose to walk the stairs. I was able to slowly walk up 4 flights of stairs using very little hand pressure on the rails as I went up. Coming down I had to use more hand pressure as I stepped down from step to step. It was more stiff than painful, I could feel the muscles stretching out.

I was pleased, My knee is sore this evening but an ice pack and elevation it seems to be doing OK, oh yes don't forget the pain pill.
PT cannot get me into the shop until Monday next week so I will be 2 weeks behind the schedule I had set for myself but I can continue to do the exercises I know and walk and climb the stairs. Other than the infection scare things have gone really well for me.....so far

Just don't get tooooo carried away now....slow steps forward!!!

Baby steps!

awww.helpyourselfgetlucky.com_wp_content_uploads_2008_02_baby_steps.jpg

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone has given me. I am now walking 4 flights of stairs 3x a day. The knee still gets sore but not nearly as sore as it was the 1st time I went up and down. I am still having to use the handrails an place a small amount of pressure on it to get up or down but I am using a natural motion as I walk, so it is getting a little better every day. I am restarting out patient therapy Monday morning and am actual excited about it. The infection has cleared up and I have 3 more days of antibiotics to do. I am ready for the stationary bike and leg extentions haha...Saturday I am going to the driving range and start hitting some golf balls. Standing in the living room I can make a swing motion and it doesn't cause me any knee pain, I guess we will see when it becomes the real thing haha. thanks again for this site being here It has provided me with great info on what to expect before and after surgery..keep up the good work
Chanman

Wow, had my 1st day of out patient therapy Monday. Did pretty well, but the bicycle was brutal, he had the seat up really high an quite frankly not near wide enough to accept my large rear end.

The Therapist told me that keeping my heels on the petals would cause less problems than having the ball of my foot, I was able to get around although my knee was really tight, somewhere along the line my foot slipped forward an the ball of my foot was on the petal as I can around, when I got to the top of the petal action i let out a yelp, it really hurt for a moment but I got my heel back in place an it was OK from there.

It was easier to petal backwards than forward. I did 15 minutes on the bike an it was the last exercise, after that u get back on the table an they ice you for 15 minutes.It felt soo good.
I was really sore this morning and my non operated thigh was more sore than my operated knee, guess that shows just how far out of shape I am.

I was given a series of stretching exercises to do 2 or 3 times a day.

He told me that if I could ride a stationary bike 2 or 3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time. Is that consistant with what others of you are doing?

It was really tough to do the stretching exercises this morning as I was just really sore. I do have some friends that r going to loan me a stationary bike so that should help save some time, not having to get n the car an drive to the gym, and I will be closer to the ice when it is over.

Please let me know what some of you are doing at the start of you out patient therapy

Thanks
Chanman

Hi Chanman we discussed the bike at my Physio but he said he wouldn't dream of asking me to attempt until my knee bend was a lot better it's currently 55 degrees.what is yours?
Glad to hear your doing so well xx

Riding a stationary bike is excellent for your knee. However, I would recommend that you start with 5 minutes 3 times a day and work up to the 15 minutes a day over a week or so. You'll have less pain that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie