BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Sciatic nerve pain

Discussion in 'Concerns after hip surgery' started by Josephine, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    At times following hip surgery, you can experience pain from the buttocks down your leg. It could be ITB or it could be the sciatic nerve playing up. You need to know exactly where the pain is situated first.

This is the sciatic nerve path

[​IMG]

and this is the ITB path

[​IMG]

The path is quite different. So if your pain is deep in the buttock it's probably the sciatic nerve and if your chiropractor can't deal with it, I would suggest that an MRI is a good idea. However, if the pain is more at the side, then it's more likely the ITB which can be sorted with stretches, deep massage and pain meds. There is a separate thread for ITB exercises in this forum.

Hope this helps some.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clunker

Clunker Post-Grad

How about from knee surgery Jo?
    I get that aching pain all the way up my hamstring when I over do things. I had a real tough time getting full extension after I had the torn calf muscle during surgery. But now when I lie or sit on floor with leg straighten all the way. After about 5 minutes it hurts all the way up to my butt. I do have full extension now,but knee does swell behind knee. But this hurting ,shooting pain at times drives me crazy. It sounds like that sciatic nerve? How long does that keep acting up and is there anything to do ,to help relieve it?
    Thanks,

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. loggon

loggon Don

Welcome to sciatic pain. Have had it off and on for several years.

You can massage it and that helps and there are some really good stretches for it and those help

4. Pat29627

Pat29627 Post-Grad

United States United States
    My semi-recumbent bicycle aggravated my sciatica which only bothers me down one leg. (My upright one does not) My foot would go to sleep. When driving the big truck, I had such problems with it that I went to a chiropractor. He gave me two exercises which helped it a lot. Here they are illustrated.
    http://tiny.cc/ulOY8

Pat

5. Clunker

Clunker Post-Grad

Thanks Pat,
    My left leg ,gives me fits at times. Ever since I had surgery on my left knee,that leg at times will hurt all the way from my butt to my ankle. And right after surgery I could not hardly sit longer then 5- 10 minutes. Its getting better,but I will try them stretches. Thank you.

6. Judles

Judles Alpha

You better, Mark! Seriously, the stretches are a MUST!!!! ((;0)

7. waverider-42

waverider-42 Junior Member

Thanks Josephine, I'm only 2 days-old on this forum and sorting things out rapidly, see, I took your advise, I'm reading between workouts and as-regards this excellent thread I think I have a problem with the sciatic nerve. This may, or may-not be related to hip-surgery because I have a history of L4/L5 problems that I managed over the years so the pain in my bum could be 'Classic-Low-Back'.

Back to squats with a gym-ball then more reading.

Awesome.
    Richard.