Scaredy cat.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
jojoo, Welcome to this forum. I just had hip surgery 2 weeks ago and I had the superpath technique. It is awesome. Are you going with the doctor in Arizona? The doctor I went to is in Minnesota and was trained by Dr. Chow. They do the least invasive method available today. I was out of the hospital within 24 hours which you will see isn't that rare on this forum. But I didn't have a muscles or tendons cut during surgery. I was up walking within 3 hours of surgery. I have had a very good experience with my surgeon and the hospital he uses. They like to use spinal anesthesia and then they put you to sleep. You don't know what's going on until it's over. You will be tired for the rest of the day but it's not like a general. If you have any questions about or concerns I can let you know about my experience....nothing at all to be afraid of.

Yes, I am meeting with Dr. Chow. I would LOVE to hear all about your experience with the superpath.

Oops I just posted in a different thread of yours. I am doing great except I waited so long to have surgery that I am paying for it with very sore, stiff muscles in my legs that don't want to move now that they can again. After surgery you will have PT that Dr. Chow developed.

Is it normal for the fear to come and go? There are days when I'm so ready for surgery, then days (like today) where I'm having panic attacks and terrified. I thought i had a hold on it from reading all of these posts and really thought I'd gotten past the crushing fear, but it crept back in this morning and I'm scared to death yet again. :boohoo:

I had a hip replacement done back in Oct. 2009. After the recovery of about 10 weeks, I went back to work and have not had one minute of trouble since then. I would do the other hip in a heart beat. The only part I wasn't wild about was the padding they put on the incision that left me feel uncomfortable when on my back. I felt as though I was sleeping on a wad of towels. Once that was remove, I was a happy camper. Surely, it went slowly for awhile. I had a hard time giving up my cane. I had a few PT visits to build my confidence enough to hang up the cane. I have had zero problems. I don't regret it at all. I would tell anyone to go and do it. Find yourself a good surgeon, get your self ready at home and do it.

I had lots of fears and was under a lot of pressure to get back to work. I am retired now so any pressure now seems silly. I have a knee replacement scheduled for early May. Having the hip surgery behind me gives me confidence that I can get through this May's event. But you know what? I am scared and fear lots about what could happen. I think it is only natural to have fears and concerns. I try to take my mind off the fear part of it by doing preparations such as cooking in volume so I have lots of soups, sauces, oatmeal etc. ready for the microwave meals while I am recovering.

So please know that you are not unusual or alone with these feelings. Most of us have been there and will be there again. I think it may get a tad easier each time or at least I hope so.

:puppysmooze: :yes!:

Jojool, knowledge is power. Keep reading everything, and keep participating in the forum. We'll get you through those fears. We all had them-- I was alternately terrified and fascinated with the technology. I don't think any of us who have had our hips replaced-- even in the early postop stages-- would go back to how we felt before surgery. You're going to be ok. Read @Joeski's thread! He was so terrified that he put his surgery off for many years-- now he's encouraging you! That's the power of this forum. (And by the way, Joeski, I agree with sissy46. YOU ROCK!!)

Thanks all, I am just having one of those "I'm feeling sorry for myself" days. I was in the shower this morning, and heard a "pop"....barely made it out of the shower, and almost went down. The pain was so excruciating! I'm ready for the pain to be gone, so I guess that's where I need to focus my energies. My meeting with Dr. Chow is April 12, can't come soon enough. I'm sure I'll feel a little better once I meet with him and have more knowledge and information. Thanks again, keep the positive vibes coming, I can feel it! :yay:

Jojool owowowowow ow ow ow MAN! I am so sorry!:console2: I'm glad you made it out of the shower and didn't knock yourself out on the tile or some other horrible thing. I seemed to start feeling better once I had a date-- so I'll bet you do indeed feel better after talking with Dr Chow:)

I feel and understand your pain. One night I got up to go to the bathroom and my left leg gave out, and I fell to the ground and had a very difficult time getting up. It is scary to see the rapid decline in one's own body. We all have our pity pot days. Here in Michigan, it was in the 20's, very windy, snow squalls, and my body was screaming in pain all day long. May 23rd cannot come soon enough. Hang in there, and know that you are not ALONE!

jojoo on the recovery side look for Hip Hip Horray's thread and read about her experience with her surgery. She puts it in a very good and calming way. Her analogy of the surgery and experience gave me comfort and the courage to do it. She explains her experience from getting into the hospital in detail and through her recovery that was awesome.

hi
i was 41 years old when i got my first THR and its still doing well 17 years later
God bless and hugs
hippydippy

I have a question. I never thought of icing my hip, and I'm wondering if that would help with the pain I'm having? If so, where do I place the ice? What is the best spot to put the 'bag of peas' to get the most out of the ice?

Do you feel like your hip is swollen? You might get relief by placing the ice right in the hip or groin area. I found nothing to help me other than pain med's. Good luck and hope you find something that helps.

I don't think it's swollen. I was just wondering if that would help...the pain meds are working less and less (or the pain is getting worse and worse). I take Norco and Ibuprofen 800. It was working pretty good for a while, but not so much anymore. I tried the Oxycodone, and it made me sick. I guess I will just live with the pain for now. Hmmph.

It wouldn't hurt to try icing as an additional pain relief option. I would put the ice on the spots that are really troubling you. If it's the side of your hip you may have to lay on your other side and balance it on the sore one, or if sitting, wedge a cushion up next to you. I hope it helps a wee bit for you.

Jojool, I have been in that same place and the pain is just the worst! First advice, get yourself some elbow crutches. You need to take as much weight off that hip as you can. They really do help.

I see you are taking Ibuprofen. I'm not sure where you are located but can you ask your GP for another NSAID drug? For 6 month pre-op I took Diclofenac. Unfortunately there is really nothing that controls this pre-op pain totally. But I found the Diclofenac took the edge off.

Hang in there! I really feel for you!

Jojool , I found a whole nother world when I added Tylenol(acetaminophen) to my mix. In fact, it's working so well that I'm taking less ibuprofen! I started out before Christmas taking 1000mg tylenol once a day, but now I'm taking that amount 4 times a day (one dose when I get up to use the bathroom at about 4:30am, very nice relief to wake up later to! Or stay awake with, whatever. LOL). I also take 50mg tramadol in the afternoon, for that "extra layer of protection" against the pain.
Also before Christmas, I had 11 sessions of PT, part of which was 1) some kind of steroid patch on my hip 2 times, not so much relief, and 2) some kind of laser or light treatment which increased circulation to the area for 9 times. The machine had two little handheld thingies, which I placed on the side of my hip and at the front or groin area. 6 minutes of miracle, I tell you. They let me do both sides for the price of one :wink: When I stopped PT b/c the insurance ran out, that was what I missed the most. I can do the exercises, and do, but that little machine was a wonder. Maybe you can have something like that? I hope you can find a solution that works for you!:friends: chris

On second thought here - have you tried heat on that hip. I doubt if ice would do anything at this stage. Heat might ease the bone on bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88