BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[REVISION TKR] scar tissue, new surgeon, revision...it's me, Bonnie!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by RunA42K, Mar 31, 2011.

1. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Re: 6 miles today 1/2 marathon next weekend!

:doggieshmooze:Thank you all for all of your prayers and good luck wishes, it means more to me than you'll ever know. I read them all out loud to my daughter last night.

I worked all day at the Houston Marathon Expo yesterday and was on my feet for about 10 hours. I had such a good time seeing old friends, and just knowing that I am a participant this weekend once again made me so happy.

I will think of you all here while I am running tomorrow morning and do my best to make you proud.

Hugs...
  2. carousel66

carousel66 Graduate

You are an inspiration!
    the fact that you are returning to one of your passions makes us all proud!
    thanks for sharing your journey with us!
  3. alexthecat

alexthecat Forum Advisor

Good luck, Bonnie! I can't wait to hear how it goes.
  4. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Can't wait to hear all about your run...enjoy the moment!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. referee54

referee54 Moderator

The best of luck to you---I am happy that you are meeting your goals and reclaiming your life---getting back what you had lost!

Let us know how you did ----regardless---you are a champion!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Bonnie ran an AWESOME 1/2 Marathon

Hello friends...I couldn't find my previous thread so here I am again! I wanted to report back to you about my 1/2 marathon that I ran yesterday January 15, 2012 at 9 1/2 months post op!

Let me just say that I had a glorious Houston Marathon weekend. It started with working at the Expo all day Friday, then a trip downtown to stay the night in a downtown hotel before race morning. A pre race pasta dinner with my running friends. It was so much fun to finally be a part of it again.

Was up as late Saturday night at 11pm and my alarm was set for 4:45. We wanted to leave for the starting area by 5:45. I was with my daughter who ran the full marathon. It was cool, in the low 40's so I did dress in just over the knee length running rights wearing my Zensah knee compression sleeve underneath. We set out and met up with friends before the start of the race.

In the starting corral, I was of course wearing my special shirt, no jacket as I knew I would warm up fast. While we were waiting for the start I got so many questions and comments and congratulations from well wishers around me. People said it was awesome that I was out here once again! There were 24,000 people in the race doing the 1/2 and full marathon.

The gun finally went off at 7:00 a.m., I was smiling from ear to ear because I was one there in the sea of humanity once again. The first mile was up hill and I ran it in a 10:58 pace. A little faster than I wanted to be but you get so excited it is hard not to get caught up in it. The second mile was all down hill which I worried about before hand as I don't like running down hill with a TKR and it is not good for even good knees...too much stress. It was so crowded I didn't want to just start walking and get run over, so I just slowed my pace and took short little steps until I was down the hill.

The miles came and went, I was running the entire way but would walk through each water stop that was first at the 2 mile mark then every 1.5 miles after that. Just before the 5 mile mark a woman who ran up from behind me caught my attention and said, "You had a total knee replacement!" I said yes, and she high fived me and said, "You give me such hope, I had to have 1/2 of my meniscus removed and I thought that soon my running days were over! These sort of comments happened all along the way.

Since I was under trained for this 1/2 marathon, only running my longest distance of 7 miles nearly a month before, I didn't know what I'd feel like after 7 miles came and went. Before I knew it I was at 9 miles and still feeling great, and made the turn for the 1/2 marathoners to head back towards downtown while the full marathoners continued on straight ahead. The bands were playing, the crowds were cheering, I had my eyes well with tears several times as I was just so very, very happy. I remember looking at the mile 10 mile marker, the time on my watch was 2 hours 7 minutes. Pre surgery and pre bad knee I could run 10 miles in 1 hour 44 minutes, so yes I was slower, I expected to be, but I thought I was doing great just the same. Mile 11 and 12 came and I was thinking, oh my goodness, this is going to be over soon, I didn't want it to end. On the road to my left was the very fastest marathoners coming into the finish with sub 3 hour times. I had never seen this part of the marathon before because I was always still out there on the course running it myself, but this time only doing the 1/2 marathon I could see the awesome fast runners coming in.

Pretty soon I was entering downtown Houston and the streets were packed with spectators as was the entire course, 250,000 of them! At mile 13 I made a left turn to run the .1 remaining to the finish line. It was so awesome!!! I felt great, the euphoria was there! My husband who had just returned from a very long business trip the night before did not make it to the marathon yesterday for the first time in 16 years, but he saw me twice on TV and saw me finish and High Five the girl next to me!

I met my goals 9.5 months after a RTKR...to make it to the staring line, to finish, to do it in less than 3 hours, and to beat the time of the 35 year old girl that works with me at the store! I did it all!

I can honestly say that my knee is fine. I am not sore, I am not swollen. The bottom of my feet were achy tired from pounding all the concrete. I expected to feel worse, but I don't, I am fine.

At the end of the afternoon as I was saying goodbye to my friends, a couple came up to me, that I did not know. They asked me about my shirt, they asked if I had a knee replacement and when. They saw the medal around my neck and asked about my run. They were so kind and so congratulating to me with the woman then saying..."I so needed to talk to you today, I am so glad that I saw you." She goes on the say, "My mom needs a knee replacement so bad! She is afraid to have surgery, she is afraid that she will never recover, she is afraid she will never be active again and will always be in pain." She asked who my surgeon was, which hospital and told me that she could not wait to call her Mom and tell her about me. Her Mom is 60, I told her that I was 59 but would be 60 in 2 months. She thanked me many times again, congratulated me, and we said good bye. This is just what I was hoping that would happen, that I could inspire someone else, to have hope, with the girl at 5 miles, anyone who saw me but didn't say, and the girl at the end talking about her Mom. Giving hope to those who are afraid that yes, they can get their life back!

As the stats came in this is how I fared:

Finish time 2:48:26 average pace 12.51 per mile
    Females aged 55-59 I was #115 out of 212 (I am oldest in my age group too)
    Overall I beat 1662 people across the finish line!

Still smiling today, but back to the real world, house cleaning, laundry and grocery shopping! Race photographs will be published in several days and I will post.

So I hope that anyone reading this will one day take a chance on doing what you love to do once again. Go slow, test the waters, take a chance and get your life back!

Half Marathoner after RTKR! :dancy::yay::yahoo:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Re: I am on the other side now, friends!

Bonnie....I have to say, I had tears reading your post. I am so proud of you not only for the run but also for the person you have become since your surgery. There is no greater feeling than when you help others. I think you are going to have a lot of those moments in the coming years.

I went looking for your other thread and discovered a bunch of recovery threads for you. They have all been combined into this one now, so please do post all your updates here. You can always find it easily by clicking on your username to take you to your profile page. Once there, click on the STATISTICS tab and then on the link to FIND ALL THREADS. @RunA42K:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. srn

srn Member

Awesome, well done!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pumpkln

Pumpkln Forum Advisor

::wow2: Wonderful report on your half marathon!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. referee54

referee54 Moderator

Congratulations! not only your post, but your presence at the race is an inspiration for others!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Deeden

Deeden Member

Absolutely wonderful! Well done! You really are inspiring and I look forward to hearing what you do next.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ruppbike

ruppbike Sr Bonesmartie

KUDOS to you Bonnie! Great run to satisfy your craving to get back to what you love to do and way to be an inspiration to others.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

Bonnie...I was thinking about you all weekend. Congrats on a great run!!:thumb:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Jamie, thank you so much! Thank you for your congrats, thank you for finding and reopening my original thread, I saw once that it was closed. It is nice to have it open as now people can really see the entire journey to my 1/2 marathon. Do you think that those who only knew me by the 1/2 marathon post will be able to find me here? I didn't want Jo to get mad at me for having too many threads, so thank you!

One thing that I did leave out of my story was that if I could participate and be seen out there on the course yesterday that it was my hope that others either being runners or spectators who may have a mother, father, husband, wife, sister, brother, grandma, grandpa, aunt or uncle, that someone would see me and help to inspire their special person that there is life afar a TKR. to go ahead and have the surgery or if you've had it to get up and try. As told in my story I know that I did accomplish this with those that did speak out to me about it on the course but I will never know the full impact of wearing my special race day shirt. I just hope that I got some people talking in their own lives while I was accomplishing my goal of running again! :wubroses::flowery smile:
    :
    Half Marathoner 1/15/2012 at 9 1/2 months post op! :dancy:
  15. Lori

Lori Senior

Congrats!!!!! I am anxiously awaiting when I can finally get back on the ice & do what I love. Skating! Thanks for the encouraging words!:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Thank you Lori, I sure hope that you can get back to skating too. Your signature does not indicate...have you had a TKR or are you getting ready for one? It is so hard to lose what you love. I want to be able to say I am done running when I say I am done. I didn't like having the rub ripped out from under me.

:doggieshmooze:
  17. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Thank you so much for thinking of me! I sure was thinking of you too!

I saw my PT today, I had made an appointment in advance...just in case! He was amazed this afternoon when he saw my knee. His word, "It looks just like another day! No swelling, you looked much worse after falling off the bike then running 13.1 miles!"

I asked my PT...what did you really think about how my run would go? He replied, "Well, I knew that you would finish, I didn't expect that you'd finish as fast as you did, and that I expected you to walk in here feeling beat up!" Everyone at PT today, staff and patients alike were so nice and congratulating to me! :yahoo:
  18. BigGene

BigGene Sr Bonesmartie

Congratulation and thanks for the inspiration. I have run a few yards on my walks but keep telling myself that it is a little early and that I needed to lose some more weight before I start running again.

Thanks again for showing us the way.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RunA42K

RunA42K Forum Advisor

Here are 3 photos. Race morning before the 1/2 marathon, race morning after finishing the 1/2 marathon and the back of my shirt. The font of the shirt I think you can see in the first picture. I will put up actual running pictures once the race photographers publish them.

Attached Files:

20. karmigirl

karmigirl Post-Grad

Bonnie,

Congrats on a wonderful run. You truly are an inspiration.:yahoo::happy dance::wow2::hapydancsmil:
    • Like Like x 1