BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

scar tissue holding me back

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by just13, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just13

just13 Member

Hi, I’ve not posted in a while. I had a manipulation scheduled after seeing my surgery’s PA but my doctor didn't want to do it [I have had 3 major surgeries on the knee]. He wanted me to see a another PT which I agreed on. It still feels like a block of wood on my knee. :rolleyespink: She pushed me and was great. I joined a gym, been swimming daily and walking about a mile. Sure getting out and walking too, felt great but when I stand my leg is still weak so I thought even if my leg is not strong, I can still bend my leg! But I can’t so I could put my shoes on.

Have trouble walking down stairs. My PT e-mailed my doctor yesterday and told him we are stuck at 95 ROM and I was getting down. I know manipulation are done more into the few months after surgery but I thought maybe the scope would at least clear some of the scar tissue and let me have more ROM. My doctor is big on exercise which we all know is the key, but after 3 PT and a PA telling me the scar tissue must be blocking me, at 5 months you think I could at least bend my leg up to tie my sneakers! So I can’t see it getting better. I used the jas which might helped but was wondering any thoughts on this.

Hope everyone is doing great on the other side
  2. RestAssured

RestAssured Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Re: scar tissue holding my back

Hello!

I am having a lot of success with a treadmill that is called the zero gravity treadmill. If you google it look at the Aero G and you will see the one I am using a PT. I was having problems with my kneecap popping out, and the bones sliding out of place, but they are holding in place much better now! I am walking at about 60% of my weight, and running at about 50% of my weight! I hadn't been able to run since I was an undergrad in college 23 years ago! I feel GREAT! The website will list where all of the therapy places and gyms are located that have these treadmills. Maybe they will have one close to you!:biggrin:

I hope your doctor does something soon to relieve your discomfort!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. carlene

carlene Junior Member

I just had lysis of adhesions this past Friday on my right knee, and I am sooo glad I did. My knee was stuck @ 86 degrees, and as soon as he cleared the scar tissue, it went straight to 115 without him pushing it. I am in PT now, and it is a little swollen, but still getting about 110, first PT was yesterday. I was really nervous about it, but it is working out great!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, good to see you again just. Was wondering where you had disappeared to!

So you do seems stuck! But a couple points to encourage you - MUAs can be done any time, even a year after surgery. But I can see your surgeon's reluctance as you are at 90 which is often the cut-off point where surgeon's consider that it just might get there on its own.

According to your date you are not even 5 months out yet which is, you might be surprised to learn, still pretty early in your recovery.

Another thought: you haven't mentioned using an exercise bike for this problem. These machines, properly set up with a lowish seat and not too much resistance, are the very best thing to get a good flexion going. Much better than anything the PT or a JAS splint can do. I do suggest you give it a long term try and if that doesn't get your flexion going, I'll eat my nurse's frilly cap! :wink1:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. just13

just13 Member

Hi Josephine hope everything is well I was reading your respond and I do have a recumbent bike in my bedroom , I just thought even with a scope maybe clean some tissues relieve the pressure [I’ve had fluid on my drained years ago and it’s the same feeling which I no its not] were I can’t even put my shoes on my PT e-mail my doctor and I’ll wait to call him he did say he would do a manipulate after a year but I would like the range or just not be so stiff plus please don’t eat that cute frilly cap :wink1:
  6. Jazyb

Jazyb Post-Grad

Hi Just13

I am glad you are back with us. I'm sorry you are having a bad time with your knee but as many folks say you are still in the recovery phase. I do hope you get there soon. Keep us posted.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. editor98

editor98 Senior

Hi Just 13! Welcome back. I had been wondering how you were doing because you were talking about having the scope at the same time that my OS and I were considering an MUA. I did have the MUA done a week ago yesterday (at 4 1/2 months out from surgery), and I am very happy that we made that decision.

I've heard Josephine say before that a lot of docs don't want to do the MUA if you are over 90 degrees or so, but I was at about 100 to 105 on a good day when I had the MUA. For me, this was a very good decision. I am now at about 125 to 130 a week later and it has made all the difference in the world. I still am dealing with the tightness/stiffness, but I think only time will take care of those issues. If I never gain another degree of flexion, I at least now feel like my knee is functional. But I am confident that I will gain more as the stiffness eases up.

The MUA was not the setback that I was anticipating. One day of pain meds and really not much noticeable swelling at all. I see my OS next week, and both my PT and I agree that I should tell him that I want to stop PT. After 5 long months, I finally feel like I'm making some forward progress and it all came about because of an additional 20 degrees of flexion!

If you and your doc do decide on the MUA, think of it as a positive step to making some good progress! Good luck! Niki
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well there y'go! Never say never!
  9. MapMaker53

MapMaker53 Member

Hi Just13. Just a quick tip I learned from the occupational therapist I had after my BTKR regarding putting socks and shoes on when you have limited knee flex. She had me sit on the edge of the bed (or on a chair) with my feet on the floor and, instead of me trying to raise my foot up to put my sock and shoe on, she had me just bend over forward and bring my sock and shoe down to my foot while it was on the floor. I was surprised to find it was so much easier to put them on that way and, frankly, probably would have never thought of that myself. I hope that helps take away some of the frustration you must be feeling until your flex improves.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. just13

just13 Member

Thank you everyone for the support hi mapmaker I do put my socks and shoes on that way I can’t cross my leg up but in time I hope, I just feel I should be able to put my leg up but I’m half way there that’s way I guess I think the scar tissue is holding me back oh well thanks again still glad Josephine doesn’t; eat hear frilly cap:blush:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. mnrtkr

mnrtkr Junior Member

I am right there with you Just13! I believe I am 16 weeks out and have the exact same issues as you do! I am stuck somewhere between 90-95. It is not enough ROM for me either....very frustrating! I have been doing the bike for a long time and it does feel good, but it has not given me any more ROM. I also swim and do the treadmill.

I was praying my OS would do a MUA, but he feels it is too dangerous and is afraid he would break my femur, at this point. So, again, patience!

My question is: Do you have much visible swelling on the outside? I am getting a good amount on the inside of my leg, below the joint and also above. I have started a treatment called iontophoresis and it supposedly is supposed to help treat the swelling. After 4 treatments, I do not see it working. So I am again frustrated and looking for answers! Keep me updated as I feel we are on the same lonnnnngggg path! Hang in there!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. jerseychick

jerseychick Forum Advisor

I was also stuck at 90-95 around 4 months. It took me forever to gain more ROM, although I would have been happy with 95. It was way more than what I started with-30-49 degree ROM.

I am happy to say that after 18 months I have about 110 degrees. My PT said that if I got to 100 he would be happy. I still work on my ROM everyday and I can tell that I am still gaining ROM.

You have to be patient, some of us take a long time and it is never too late to gain more ROM.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Dhare63

Dhare63 Sr Bonesmartie

Hi Just 13, welcome back.

I understand your frustration completely. I would definitely be an advocate of the MUA for all the reasons stated above. I had my MUA 3 months post op to gain extension. It did help and is a great way to jump start the increased ROM you seek. If you are this stuck, sounds like scar tissue is in the way and the best and least invasive option is MUA.

It's not a bad procedure at all. Editor98, Niki, described it spot on. I encouraged her to go with the MUA and she has had an excellent outcome!

Keep us posted on what happens next. You have plenty of support here!

Best,

Dawn
    • Like Like x 1
  14. editor98

editor98 Senior

MNRTKR,
    Your post really caught my eye because my femur was fractured during my TKR surgery in September--and I had a completely safe and what I would consider successful MUA just last week. I was very concerned about the possibility of having my leg broken again during the MUA. If you read the last couple of pages of my thread (New Left Knee...Check! by editor98, its back a few pages) you will find a discussion about this very topic--breaking bones during an MUA. Josephine posted a great story, which really alleviated my anxiety. I don't know if you have some extenuating circumstances, but if everything is "normal," and if the possibility of breaking your femur is what's holding you and your surgeon back from doing the MUA, please go read it. It may help calm your fears like it did for me.

I can only speak from my own experience, but I am very happy that we did the MUA. It was just the kick-start I needed to finally feel like I am moving forward. :yes 4:
    Niki
    • Like Like x 1
  15. just13

just13 Member

Well after reading most of the postings and reading about MUA I’ve heard about breaking bones and the risks but in my mind I want like a few others said I’m prayer for MUA I know the tissues is holding me back I’ll go with the scope that way clean most scar tissue out my body like my other knee is killing me plus my body even after the gym , jas , waking swimming just want to get the right feeling back in my mind:hissyfit: , I no its still early on my journey but after 3 PT and the PA which told me it’s the tissues hold me back and they can’t do anything more but exercise , I called the doctor got appointment at 8 tomorrow morning to see him before PT so I’m thinking to ask , if he does not want to do the MAU which he would not do it 3 weeks before when I say him , I might go to other doctor a little confused at this point any thoughts thanks[I really don’t think I’ll be happy till someone goes in and cleans some tissue out then work my butt off]:cry:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. lionsm13

lionsm13 Member

I can relate.. I was told alot by my OS regarding the post procedure too.
    It was a very unpleasant experience for me.

At 4 months where you are now I was seeing a lymphodema person who showed me how to do lymph massage and I was still icing and elevating, even @ 8 months.
    I felt as though I had a block of wood in my knee and it was remarked that I walked as though I did too @ 4 months.

Yes it was like that for me. I still have my moments but finally nearing the 2 year mark, and I feel as though I am starting to get there.

I would be real hesitant in letting them(Docs) poke around in there if I were you.
    I think that you are still real susceptable to infection..
    I don't say this to scare you, but it is the worst case scenario as you should know.

I think that it just takes some of us longer than it does other's.
    I really think that that is the way it is..too. or @ least w/me.
    Your body can only heal itself as and when it can.
    You can't force it..

Read my other posts and see how what a frustrating experience it has been for me..but I feel that I am starting to get there, but it's been almost 2 years too..
    • Like Like x 2
  17. mnrtkr

mnrtkr Junior Member

Thanks Niki! I am not concerned about breaking my femur, but the surgeon mentioned that he did not feel comfortable doing it. Not sure why. I go back in 2 months, so will have to ask why he said that. I am so happy that you were able to start to make some real progress. I pray for that to happen to the "rest of us" on here soon!
  18. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

I agree with lionsm13....you really do want to take the least invasive approach first. That would be the MUA.
  19. just13

just13 Member

Well seams as everyone has a different view on the MAU I can see about breaking a bone but my thought I know the scope would not get all the scar tissue or adhesion out I’m sure it would move the journey forward in my eyes well I’m off to talk to the doctor and will so which I no he’s not big on MAU well thanks for a postings :what:
  20. lionsm13

lionsm13 Member

Sorry if I rambled on too much.lolol...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.