BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Scar red and itchy??

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by sunshine, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunshine

sunshine Graduate

I have noticed that my scar is itchy but this last week it seems more so then before just in the curve of it. I really hadn't noticed because it is hard for me to see it like I could on the other hip. But it seems so red and not pink like I think it should be. MD from Walgreens!:blush:
    I have been rolling over on that side at night at times and just that one area hurt where it curves kinda. It isn't open or oozing or anything like that, at least when I use the mirror to look it seems closed and no stains from it at all.
    Am I being paranoid? No fever, have my appt on the 25th should I wait or call? Sorry, I just don't remember it so red...but I don't remember what I saw on TV last night sometimes.Lol:hehe:
    Worry wart!!!:shk:

2. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sometimes scars do get inflamed and sore especially when you've laid on them. Don't worry. I doubt you're going to explode in a puff of infectious goo!

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    The itchy feeling is normal. It means things are healing. You might try some gentle massage of the area that itches and that may help. As long as the wound isn't open, you can use some oil or lotion too to make the massage easier.

4. sunshine

sunshine Graduate

Thanks so much for easing my mind. I maybe scratched it or something in my sleep or maybe it's the laying on it irritating it your right. I will try some cream on it tonight, I forgot to ask that thanks!!!!

5. pkuznets

pkuznets Member

California's Big Sur Hiway is in my back yard!
    Early after my surgery, I posted an inquiry here about something to apply to the scar to help reduce the "appearance" of the scar. Several hippies suggested something called Bio-oil. I used it (and still do after a long shower or bath) and massaged it into and around the scar area. It's a lovely-scented not too greasy oil, and my oh my, the massage feels SO good afterwards! I ordered mine online, but I've since seen in a variety of drugstores--even in the "drugstore" section of my local supermarket. It's not expensive either---you might try it :thmb:
    Patrikya

TRHR Nov 30, 2010

6. sunshine

sunshine Graduate

Thanks Patrikay,
    I think I have found out that it seems my clothing bothers it. I have been wearing a shift ot nightie and no panties and it seems to let the site calm down. I am allergic to elastic so some of my undies have elastic also that would irritate it. But I am sure the Bio oil is good too! Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.