BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Sauna?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Bees Knees, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bees Knees

Bees Knees Senior

I am 7 weeks out and have been given the okay to return to the gym. I was given no restrictions but I am concerned about using the dry heat sauna. I am worried about infection etc.
    I took Josephine's advice and returned to work very part time this week. Two days for three hours. I was so tired! I will try three days four hours next week. I have an active job with lots of walking and moving.
    As always thank all of you for your great advice and support.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Bee Knees, I moved this thread to Knee Recovery as you posted it the How to Use the Forum area.

If you have been released from restrictions I wouldn't worry about infection. Did you worry about using the sauna before your op?

Two days for three hours is quite a start. I hope you had time to rest and recover! Scale back if the increased hours next week are too much.

Let us know how you get on.

3. bigbruce

bigbruce Junior Member

I'm 6 weeks out and my Dr. said I was OK to get back in my hot tub. I wouldn't think there would be any greater risk of infection in a sauna. I suspect the key is whether your incision is completely healed.

4. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

I love heat, and have been using my hot tub since the day my incision was blessed by the OS. I found it a great place to work on ROM.

I also love the steam room at the place I get my Ortho Massage.

I use the sauna at my gym.

Its all good.
    Just make sure you stay hydrated and maybe wait until you finish the heat to take any narcotics.

Sandy

5. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Sauna will be fine!

As for work - do make sure you're not working two days in a row. The whole point of a phased return is that you have a one day on/one day off routine and give yourself time to recoup in between.

6. Motherofmany

Motherofmany Graduate

The only advice I would add is make sure you ice later. The new PA told me at my 3 week check up that heat would help, but failed to tell me to ice afterwards so my knee wouldn't balloon up. My PT corrected this mistake and I have had good success using heat followed by ice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

Good advice, Rose!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.