BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

Running After knee Replacement

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by gravesm2, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gravesm2

gravesm2 New Member

I cannot believe some of the posts I have read on this forum regarding running after knee replacement. Why not run? If you enjoy running, if it is important to you, then screw the doctors and run. Google Dick Bearsdley's blog and see what a former world class marathoner says about running on an artificial knee. He's doing 50 to 70 miles a week on a fake knee with absolutley no problems. The materials used today in artificial joints are probably more durable than real bones and cartilage. In my orthopedic surgeon’s brochure, he includes testimonials from patients who have resumed playing tennis and basketball after knee replacement. How are those activities less stressful on the knee than running? If anything they are MORE stressful. So my replacement lasts 15 years instead of 20…big deal. I’m going to run like never before and I don’t give a flying flapjack what the doctor says.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LaPaz

LaPaz Member

Mexico Mexico
    Can't even remember how long it has been since I was able to run. I could not even run accross the street to get out of the way of a car or run to catch a bus. I don't know if my legs remember how to run. :hehe: But if you really want to run just do it! I want to be able to play a light game of tennis again and I miss playing beach volleyball, too. These are sports that I had to put away due to my old knees.

Running is an extremely high impact activity and even a good healthy non biontic knee is stressed to the max by running. Be careful of the surface you run on and buy the best running shoes then maybe that bionic knee will do fine.

Nancy BTKR Feb 9, 2010

3. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    Hi, Gravesm2....welcome to BoneSmart! I'm glad you decided to join our forum.

If you spend much time reading here on the forums, you'll find that we have a very wide range of folks with new knees. Some are quite happy to not run and they probably would not have been runners even with natural and good knees.

But there is another group who has always been VERY active with sports and they, of course, view a "normal" life differently....much like how you feel.

Activity level is such a personal decision. You can be sure that most doctors will err on the side of caution when telling you what you can do. Especially in the USA, they must be concerned with lawsuits.

Many of the implants used today are so new there has not been sufficient time to study them. Also, more and more younger, active people are getting knee replacements now than ever before which will push the envelope in terms of what is recommended activity and what is not.

In the end it all comes down to quality of life. People who want to be more active and even run, will opt to do it. You and those like you will be the test cases to see what happens. If it makes you happy, that's all that counts. None of us knows how many days we have to enjoy life and it's important to do those things that make us feel fulfilled.

Why don't you tell us a little more about yourself and the history of your knee and surgery? And then I hope you stay with us as you go through your recovery and beyond to let everyone know how your knee functions once you resume your normal activity. We have surfers, skiers, sky divers and others who have done just that and it has been a joy to hear their stories. I look forward to hearing more about yours.

4. gravesm2

gravesm2 New Member

I live in a small town in north Florida. I work for an engineering firm and am a former high school teacher. I ran in high school and continued for 30 plus years. My left knee starting hurting 5 or 6 years ago. I continued running in pain until about 3 years ago when the pain became too much to bear. I had arthroscopic surgery last year, but the doctor said there just wasn't enough cartilage left to repair. Earlier this year he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon in Jacksonville who recommended a total replacement. I haven't yet had the procedure. It is scheduled for June 22. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to running again.

5. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Most Orthos prefer that we don't run after a TKA, but then again, there are alot of things we do that they wouldn't feel comfortable with us doing...yet we do them anyway.
    I'm not sure where you are in your recovery, but I'd caution you about testamonials you read in the Office. Not everyone can do everything after a knee, and I took alot of these statements to heart, I now find myself frustrated because I cannot do these things, and my recovery is not as fast as described in the booklet.
    If running is important to you, go for it, but don't hinge your existance on it.
    I agree that the materials they use are more long lasting, but it is still a bit of a gamble. You just need to be willing to pay the price if things lead back to a revision.

6. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

That's the problem with coming on forums which are aimed at giving advice, you don't always agree with everybody. No doubt some people think you a bit odd if you tried to persuade them to take up running, when they would prefer to be cautious and preserve their joints, which they surely would.

Enjoy your running, I've done a bit of running on thetreadmill today, the first since my TKR seven months ago, I enjoyed it.

7. gravesm2

gravesm2 New Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to convince anyone to take up running, or even to resume running after replacement surgery. What I was trying to say is that if running is important to you, if it is a part of your very being as it has been of mine, then don't let anyone, even doctors, discourage you from doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PhoenixS

PhoenixS Forum Advisor

I hear ya!!
    I climb frozen waterfalls in the winter for fun.
    My OS thinks I'm crazy.
    Running was never my thing, though I'd run if chased by a bear!!
    Good luck next week!
    Sandy

9. Lindawalms

Lindawalms Graduate

Running is my thing and I'm so happy to hear there is someone else who wants to do it also after replacement. I'm having hip but I think we all get the same restrictions. I cannot even go to the place of someone telling me I could never run again, I love it and it makes my life a better one. I hope to God I will b able to after, I know many people will say there are other things you can do like bike or swim, but if you're not a "runner" I don't think they can understand.
    Just my 2-cents worth :)

Linda.

10. Tykey

Tykey Forum Advisor

It IS addictive isn't it:thmb:

11. Surfsister

Surfsister Senior

I've started running again since the knee replacement. One of my favorite athletic endeavors years ago was to run in the soft sand at the beach. When I went to an orthopedist to find out why my knee was hurting so much, he said a knee replacement was definitely in my future and I should stop running. So, up until a few months ago, it had been a good nine years since I'd run. Well, I'm running in the soft sand again. I don't do it often (mainly because I'm a surfer, not a runner), but I can do it. In fact, because I've maintained my fitness all these years, I seem not to have a lost a step.

I, too, believe it's about quality of life. Now I run when I feel like it because, well, wasn't that the point of the knee replacement in the first place?

• Like Like x 1
  12. LaPaz

LaPaz Member

Mexico Mexico
    I would say you are getting some great encouragement. These are things that you should take with you during your surgery and recovery to help you reach your goal. I kind of like the way bionic sounds like there is no stopping us.

Jamie I enjoyed your post and agree that who knows with all these new materialx used that we can be the frontier of things to come. That is why I did not hesitate to have both my knees replaced. I also helped to frontier Radial Keratotomy (not laser) about 22 years ago and my eyes are still great. Find a good surgeon you trust in and now you can pick out the knee implant of your choice.

What implant are you going to use for your running?

13. FrogFeathers

FrogFeathers Post-Grad

I will run when the Zombie Apocalypse happens and not any time sooner. :D

I can't wait to get back to biking. I haven't been an avid biker for 20 years (I replaced biking with walking and yoga), but in the four years my legs were completely useless, the city caught up to the need for bike paths and I would no longer have to drive to get to a bike path. I can just leave from my own driveway to get to a bike path.

I shall not run, though.

You have fun with it. :wink:

14. skigirl

skigirl Moderator

Since you like running=-don't forget to try pool running as part of your rehab. I first found out about it on a running website.

I use a heated "therapy pool" but that is not necessary. I wear a bouancy belt--and if they are not available you can put a "noodle" under your arms--just something so -that you can be upright in the deep water. Then---RUN. sometimes I spring and sometimes, i just run slowly---I usually work out for at least 30 minutes in the pool and it is fun. The pressure of the water on my knee seems to help with the swelling and I know that it helped my rom. Kelly

• Like Like x 2
  15. Josephine

Josephine Forum Admin and Mother Hen Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's not wearing out the implants the surgeons worry about but breaking down the bone/implant interface resulting in loosening. But with the recent developments and improvement in surgical technique, it's less of a problem than it once was. I think you may be able to tell the more informed or modern thinking surgeons from the caveats they put upon patients in regard to this issue. The better ones will acknowledge that younger, fitter patients are going to want to do this anyway - it was why they got their joint replaced in the first place; they also acknowledge that the modern implants are more durable, more reliable and have more longevity even than those of 10 years ago.

16. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

I think it's great to do what you want to do! Life is short!

I am supposing those who go back to running and other activities have insurance to cover your knees in case of accidents?
    I am now uninsured for any further knee problem. Wondering how you folks pay or plan to cover yourselves? Do you have really good insurance?

17. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Helen, are you saying that with your insurance, once you had your BTKR, no other knee issues are covered??? That doesn't make much sense to me.

18. Surfsister

Surfsister Senior

I have no insurance. None.

But I will run, surf, swim, cycle and live to my heart's content. I worry about damaging the knee. I worry more about playing it safe and letting fears about this knee dictate how I live my life.

One of my favorite sayings is: I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Right now, there are no bridges in my path and I try to spend each day celebrating this joint.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Simon

Simon Graduate

• Like Like x 1
  20. cotton1958

cotton1958 Supremo

Jamie, I had catastrophic insurance on my knees for surgery and up until this week. The new year rolled over, the 10K deductible started over.
    A few days ago I was accepted for somewhat regular insurance. Knees and phsyc, excluded, knees obvious. Psych. because I was in a mandadory group therapy in rehab.
    So, I have to make a risk on my own to hope I do not bum my knee or need insurance for something else in my body.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.