Round Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see all went well for you Cathy, except your ankle of course. Sure that will ease up soon. Hope you feel better with the nausea soon too. If you are not eating well, hope you are taking your SS's or you will have another problem!! Take care, heal well. Sue

What do you mean by SS's? I am still nauceous at times. Today my blood was way too thin, so off of the blood thinners i go. I had a nice salad for lunch! Yeah! But did not feel great aferwards. Any ideas???? I can't seem to get away from the nauceousness. I am drinking lots of ginger ale and eating saltines. The nurse said that ginger is good to get a handle on this. But I still don't feel great as far as the tummy goes. My knee is still oozing a little, but the nurse wants to keep it open for now. So I will give it the day and see what happens. Therapy is going well. And I am sleeping pretty well - only waking a few times during the night. Now if we can just get the tummy to cooperate, I'd be doing great!!!!
Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas. Trying to get lots of rest here.
Keep in touch!
Cathie

She means stool softeners. When you stop laughing, go buy some. :)

Your surgery was on May 6th, right? At 10 days out, it sounds to me like you are doing GREAT!!! Some of the nausea might be from pain meds....I had that a little with hydrocodone. I think if you told your doctor's office they could give you medicine to counteract that, if you wanted it. Hang in there....it all gets better. I know you've had the experience of one TKR before, but sometimes you forget what you went through and/or the second one might be different for who-knows-why. Like I said, it sounds to me like you are doing well. Hope to hear more from you!

ummmm...... when I have been constipated...... I get nauseous......you "are" taking the SS, right? So that that is not the problem, right?

Good luck and feel better soon!

Actually not taking the "SS's" at all. I did have them in the hospital, but not at home. I really do not seem to need them. Doing okay in that area! :0 They took me off the blood thinner. It was way too high still as of yesterday. I am moving around pretty well, so I really don;t think they are necessary. But I am going to have the staples removed tomorrow morning, so will ask the doc about the SS's and all the nauceousness. I seem to be eating better and not having so much of it lately, but nothing even tastes good these days. Did any of you have this happen? First I had no appetite, then I get the appetite back, but everything tastes very blaaaaa. Is this still all due to the meds?
I am still on home PT, which I love having here. But I am thinking next week will graduate to the outpatient.
Since this is the left knee, I am hoping I can start driving soon too. I know I should wait a bit because of the meds, but I am hoping I can go back to work after 4 weeks instead of 6. That is what I did with the other knee.
CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE THAT FIRST SHOWER!!!!! I FEEL LIKE SCUM!

Cathie

Cathie, now that you mention it, I did lose my appetite for the first 3-4 weeks, then it came back super healthy. I ate a cracker or two with my hydrocodone just to help keep from feeling nauseous. Drink lots of liquid - water, ginger ale, etc. Careful of acids as that may not help much. I took Tums to help ease my tummy, too. That helped a lot. God bless you and may your tummy feel as good as the rest of you soon!

Why are they making you wait so long for a shower? I was able to take one that first week after coming home from the hospital. I can't imagine how much you are looking forward to a nice warm shower. Enjoy it!

CAN'T WAIT TO TAKE THAT FIRST SHOWER!!!!! I FEEL LIKE SCUM!

Cathie

I really can't imagine not having a shower every day ... I think it would drive me loony!

Cathie....I too had to wait to shower until the staples came out. That first shower was pure heaven. Enjoy it!!! You will magically feel better afterwards.

Cathie,
Take a kitchen bag and make a hole in the corner. It will stretch as you pull it up your leg. Pull it above the cut. Then run some tape around the top for a little extra insurance.
Now you're ready to play Flipper!! Have fun

Cathie:

I too was able to shower after about 4 days as long as I didn't touch the incision.

I lost about 10 lbs (an I could use it) -- I was thinking about making my fortune with
the vicodin diet:

You take vicodin an hour before dinner and by dinner time you're so tired you
don't feel like eating. But that's OK since it slows down your GI tract so you're not
hungry anyway. And, there is so much acetomenaphen in it that you have to stop
drinking or it destroys your liver.

Unfortunately I've gained about 4 lbs back.

Well I am 3 weeks out tomorrow! I have once again gotten back to showering....who would think such a simple thing in life would be such a pleasure!!!!!
I am very happy with the way things are progressing. I am getting around with the cane now, the tummy is back to normal, and I have graduated to outpatient therapy!! I am doing so much better more quickly this time around.....Life is good!!

Ed- I like the diet idea. Even with the sick tummy - I didn't lose any weight. DARN!! Guess I am gonna have to work at that!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers....they work!
Cathie

Cathie,

I am so glad to hear you are doing better! You were having a rough time there for a while--- so glad things have settled down. I had bilateral major knee surgeries that involved bone sawing and grafting--- a few months apart "way back when"--- and remember that once I got through the first, acute couple of weeks that the rest of my rehab went much smoother and faster the second time around. I think just knowing what to expect and what to do really helped me. I am glad you are having the same experience!

Take care and keep getting better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member