ROM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessymi

When you guys talk about ROM. What position are you measuring this in. I am 4 weeks past operation today. When I lay flat and bend my knee I have a hard time getting past 95, because of the swelling behind my knee. When I sit in a chair, I can get 110 with no effort at all. I don't have any problem riding my stationary bike or doing lunges, and I am starting to be able to walk up the stairs normally. I'm concerned that if I can't get my rom higher while laying on my back I might have to have manipulation.

Jessy

Jessy
Some doctors have you ly on the table, but a lot will let you sit in a chair and they just "eye ball" it.

95 is good for 4 weeks. Don't think you will need a manipulation.

At 4 weeks I was about 95 and I am now at 128 or so. Maybe

The way you are suppose measure is lying on the table. For some folks there is a big difference in lying and taking the rom and sitting and taking the rom.

Hi Jessy. True Drs measure differently. Being at 4 weeks your ROM is terrific. Please dont worry I think you are doing fantastic. Keep up the good work....But take care and ice the back of your knee. Take care and keep us posted. 110 in the chair you should be very proud....

Jessy,
It is nice to meet you.
My Rom has beem measured Laying on my back, tummy, sitting, and riding a bike. I think that PT likes to see how much ROM you can get every where. But at 4 weeks I would say that you are were you should be.

The different positions stretch different muscles such as ham strings, Quads etc. each of these will allow you to bend at different degrees. Sounds to me like you are doing great at this point in recovery.

Max

I think most doctors and PTs measure with you lying on the table because it's easier for them to use the goniometer! I got my physio to measure me sitting in the chair as well because I knew I could do more that way and she aggreed. On the table I was barely 120 but on the chair it was 135! One of the problems with the table is that the fat on your knee stops you bending as much as you could otherwise.

But don't worry - you'll not need an MUA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties