TKR Rita's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2 sets at Wimbledon it is now raining - but we have that wonderful invention - a roof!
Without hearing a projected forecast Jacky I can tell you what it will be - a little bit of sun & quite a lot of rain! Hey ho , that's UK weather :gaah:

Andy is playing his heart out! Even if he gets beat it is no whitewash. Wonder if they'll ever need a new knee!

Just Googled 'Tennis Players - replacement knees' & found that Billie jean King has had new knees (not when she was playing though, she waited 'til she was 67 ........... how can she be 67? must be a mistake)
thanks everyone for your interesting responses to numbness/itching. I have sarted a new thread 'The Itch You Can't Scratch' 'cos it seems so common.
I am going on OK. Have been to a posh Charity Concert on Sunday evening & was OK in normal clothes, & even low heels. It felt good. Would love to be sitting outside in the sun, if only it would shine. Am thinking I might try some pool therapy, may give them a call to see when would be a good time to 'plodge around' without getting in the way of other swimmers. Coming up to 5 weeks now & I have to say it is much better than I thought it would be. Just waiting for that morning when I wake up without that 'knee' thought popping straight into my head. Have a good day everyone :thumb:

Living on the edge today (5 weeks now) - have left off TED stockings - feel liberated! Am starting to compile list of questions for my consultant next week, starting with 'are my legs ACTUALLY different lengths' (or is it my wonky brain?)
Had a painful day yesterday, but am learning not to ask 'why'? It just seems that that's how it is some days, get on with it & move on to tomorrow seems to be the answer. The sun is shining here in Sheffield today - Praise the Lord! :yay:

Andy Murray is a Wimbledon finalist, Bradley Wiggins is wearing the Yellow Jersey - we are INVINCIBLE!!!!!! :yahoo:
('til the Olympics ......)
Chances for: Cavendish for the road race; Sir Chris in the Keirin, sprint, team sprint; Victoria Pendleton in sprint, keirin; GB in team pursuit (men's and women's); Wiggins in the time trial. And they are just the hot favourites, cycling has strength in depth.

Reet, you've got sun! :SUNsmile: We've had more and more and more rain! I find that now the schools are on holiday the local pool is very busy and have been staying clear. On the plus side it means the gym is a bit quieter.

Am 'in training' this week for my trip to London on Saturday. Going to stay with my daughter & then to see a ballet at Sadlers Wells on Sunday. What a treat - and especially as I thought I wouldn't be able to make it when I got my surgery date. Walked around the lake at Chatsworth yesterday, went into town on public transport last Thursday, so am trying all different kinds of training 'regimes'. Feel quite secure at home but a bit vulnerable when out in public so I have just ordered a jolly (who am I kidding) folding walking stick to fend people off! The weather is still atrocious & is definitely not helping our mood here in UK. Hope it improves for the OLYMPICS. Actually I hope it improves before Saturday. :SUNsmile:

Very brave going near lake thought you might have seen enough water.Going to try bus tommorow and walk round town tubi grip and all might wear wellies hide tubigrip,but this is helping with swelling.

Reet, it looks like you got yourself well prepared for your trip and I'm so happy that you will be able to make it. The walking stick is a great idea! Now all you need is the sun to pop through those clouds to brighten your whole trip up! :SUNsmile: Have a great time and enjoy your daughter and the ballet! :friends:

if you did not see other post donny st james baths swimming pool is walk in and has great turkish baths .sunday morning £6.50 for turkish plus swim and you get tea and toast as well hot rooms are great 3 different temp and steam room just what we need with all this rain.

if you did not see other post donny st james baths swimming pool is walk in and has great turkish baths .sunday morning £6.50 for turkish plus swim and you get tea and toast as well hot rooms are great 3 different temp and steam room just what we need with all this rain.
Sounds perfect!

Hi all,
Been reading your posts Rita, you DO make me laugh :loll: and despite all the awful rain we still manage to keep our spirits up.
Went to Southend last Sunday! I woke up and as I was lying in bed the sun - :SUNsmile: - was streaming in through the curtains and it suddenly dawned on me that the furthest I have been so far is to the shops and back. So I thought a day at the seaside would be great medication for me.
It was brilliant, my son and daughter decided to grace us with their presence and some friends came too so they all played bowling whilst I cheered them all on. Then sat on the beach (well on chairs) and had an ice cream enjoying the ozones.....then to round the day off we had fish and chips before we drove home.
I slept like a baby that night without any co-dydramels ! :zzz:
I think you are amazing Rita wearing heels, albiet little ones, I had my last physio yesterday and she said I could wear them if I want but since my left leg is hindering the healing of my right knee, I will leave it till next year.
I saw my surgeon a little early for my 6 week check up and the the TEDS came off straight after :egypdance:he said my right knee wont straighten out until my left knee is done. He got onto his secretary to start the ball rolling just as I was leaving :scare:and I thought "here we go again.....".
I have kind of dismissed the rest of the year and given it up to recovery so that next year my left restarts in earnest. Holiday promised and a new car.
Love to everyone,
Viv xx

Coniglietta - a day at the seaside, what could be better? Sounds like you had a great time, ice cream, fish & chips, the full works - good for you :thumb:
Got a friend to take a pic of us at the posh charity do, thinking I might be a Bonesmartie in posh outfit .... but we were stood on a slope .... so ..... slope + heels + new knee made me look very wonky! OK from the waist up though! Might post it anyway.
Have driven to the supermarket this morning, felt surprisingly OK. I have been practising lifting my left leg up & down & without realising have been doing it much further than I actually need to when driving, so that was a pleasant surprise.
See my consultant tomorrow and am compiling a list of questions
  1. Is my left leg really now longer than my right leg?
  2. Is my right leg really now shorter than my left leg?
  3. Are my legs really now NOT the same length?
  4. Why didn't you warn me????
Plus a few other minor queries :scratch: .... mainly dance related (when can I jive, zumba, waltz, quickstep, salsa etc?) NOT twist, did that in the 60's. At the moment I feel I would be good candidate for Hip Hop!
The sun is almost shining today, makes me feel better. Just waiting for enough warmth for local outdoor swimming pool.
Bye for now - keep smiling :) x

Hi my wife goes dancing ballroom waltz and she tells me there is 1 lady 71 2 men 72 and 70 who dance 3 /4 times a week no bother the lady has had both done.Keep asking wife can they ride bike i could not dance before they all keep sending wishes and what i should do (think they are trying to get me to join dancing but no chance),with mix up on my dates i dont see surgeon for another 7 weeks so cant drive till then ,tried to get another appointment but no chance,so looks like caravan waiting a bit longer.Very brave outdoor pool i swim in sea at daughters near brighton bit warmer down there.

Wow Richard ballroom dancing, thats amazing. I will be happy to get bendy knees alone :).
Rita I thought the same thing too re: driving, although I have the other knee done to you it is not as daunting as I thought it would be.
Yeah I remember twisting the night away lol, well till 10pm maybe - curfew time :tada:.
Love to all,
Viv xx

Hi my wife goes dancing ballroom waltz and she tells me there is 1 lady 71 2 men 72 and 70 who dance 3 /4 times a week no bother the lady has had both done.Keep asking wife can they ride bike i could not dance before they all keep sending wishes and what i should do (think they are trying to get me to join dancing but no chance),with mix up on my dates i dont see surgeon for another 7 weeks so cant drive till then ,tried to get another appointment but no chance,so looks like caravan waiting a bit longer.Very brave outdoor pool i swim in sea at daughters near brighton bit warmer down there.
Hi Richard - have you been told you can't drive until after you see your consultant? The 6 week thing is a recommendation not a rule. If you can't do an emergency stop then you invalidate your insurance but otherwise you should be good to go. It's going to be a long wait for you otherwise. Yours was a Left TKR like mine, sit in your car & see how it feels depressing the clutch, you might be surprised - good luck. :tada:

Yes have been told by physio so will have to wait, from operation date till i see him is 15 weeks .I am driving car out of garage and on drive then wife takes over,tried emergency stop on drive i feel confident ,problem would probably be sitting but by 15 weeks should be fine.First priority is riding bike outside going to look for a trainer so can use road bike instead of indoor.Good luck with dancing .

Have just seen my consultant this afternoon for my 6 week follow up appointment. As I walked towards his consulting room he said “when did I do your knee?”, I told him 6 weeks ago, “ nasty place” he said (very quietly!)
I didn’t really need the rest of the appointment after that to know I am doing OK.
All is well. He has assured my that my left leg is NOT longer than my right, just need to convince my brain now. :thumb:

Great post! I like your doc's reaction!:thumb: It's nice to know that your leg is not longer, the brain is a tricky thing to train! Looks like you'll be doing great for you vacation! Enjoy!!!!:friends:

Just realised that I was so pleased at my consultant's reaction to my progress that I forgot to ask about the dancing! Seems to me that the idea is whenever you feel you can do something then try it!:dancy:Might be a while before I move at this speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks