BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONE RECOVERY THREAD ONLY IS PREFERRED. PLEASE DON'T START ADDITIONAL THREADS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY.

[TKR] Rita's recovery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by reetpteet, Jun 5, 2012.

1. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Olympic Opening Ceremony - You probably didn't understand it all - neither did we! But get this - WE ARE SO PROUD OF THE NHS - that we could bounce on our beds with joy (knees allowing) :happydance:

• Like Like x 2
  2. kneeper

kneeper Forum Advisor

Yes, I thought it was really well done. I even got a bit choked up at God Save the Queen and I'm not even English!

3. Janet2012

Janet2012 Don

O C's were well done! Cheer cheer! I liked how the rise of the industrial revolution literally did rise! I choked up a little when I saw Muhamed Ali. Didn't even recognize him. And the rings were cool!

• Like Like x 1
  4. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Caravan in drive ready for experimental (long) weekend in Midlands where hubby is preaching in our old Methodist Circuit. How will the KNEE & the VAN get on together?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

United States United States
    Have a safe trip Rita and hubby! Boy, another new trial and error chapter for you recovery story, The Knee & the Van, will they get along?. I can't wait to hear more! Enjoy your trip and don't forget to take your ice packs!:friends:

6. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A bit jelous of you sat in my van on drive grandkids been up and wanted to go in van so we all sat in on drive ,but when asked if we could go had to sat not yet.Knee feels fine tried emergency stop on our side road then back in drive but no driving till 21 august hope you have good time ,tried loo out in van could get up and down fine ours is small 380/2 van.Have a great time.

7. KathyH

KathyH Sr Bonesmartie

Hope you're enjoying yourself, Rita. I'm sure your knee and van will get on like a house on fire (really weird saying, that is :heehee: ).

Kathy
    xx

• Like Like x 1
  8. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Sorry to make you jealous Richard. We don't keep our van at home, so when we bring it here we often sit in & have a cuppa - (what a sad pair) so I know what you mean about just being in it. We have a 380/2 as well, a Coachman. What's yours? We'll have to get together & compare knees & caravaning tales. If you have a copy of June's Caravan Club magazine, that's us with the tale of woe/joy on page 58, following a nasty accident last September. Will be packing van today so need to take it steady, I'm normally in & out & back & forth like there's no tomorrow! Anyway, my new mantra is slow & steady wins the race :ok:

9. RICBAK1

RICBAK1 Senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi not as sad as me.we have an avondale and i see it every day on drive and i cant drive yet.We are not in caravan club we are in cand cc you now the posh one, you remind me of my sister takes her all day to pack.All our family are gypos 2 brothers and sister all caravaners,take it easy and have good time i will thnk of you when flying to spain soon.

10. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Caravan & knee getting along famously. So far trial run in caravan A* success.
    It's the rain that will change things - & it's coming tomorrow!
    Icing/resting & watching Team GB win Olympic medals. (why did we discover America?)
    Meeting friends later for celebration Wedding Anniversary meal (theirs). Shopping today & bought lovely new sandals in sale, will be wearing later. Feeling almost normal, can't be bad! Going to look for a 'normal' smiley :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Am on a Bonesmart Mission. I have met another lady and a man here on this caravan site in the last 48hrs who have had TKR. One is at 5 weeks & one at 6 weeks. Neither had heard of Bonesmart! How can that be??????
    Both are saying - "if I am like you at 8 weeks I will be delighted". When they have taken a look at Bonesmart they will know it's best not to compare, but for the time being I do feel pleased & know I wouldn't be where I am now without all this knowledge/help & support. Thanks everyone.
    :thankyou:

• Like Like x 1
  12. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Have just been reading Kathy's post about her last minute doubts before surgery & it has reminded me that there is something I forgot to tell you all.
    Before my surgery my pain was minimal & I had real doubts despite arthroscopic surgery findings confirming my severe OA. My consultant told me afterward that I had "gross bony deformity" in the form of a maltracking patellar which had definitely aggravated my OA over the years. I knew I had this in my right knee from previous arthroscopy so I suppose I could have expected the left to be the same. Somehow it never occcurred to me! None of us know what's going on inside ...... just as well most of the time I think. Anyway, it helped to justify my decision. My patellar now tracks perfectly (I am told!)
    :dancy:

13. Jacky48

Jacky48 Don

Great job spreading the word about BoneSmart!:friends: Those two people will be the better for it, as we are!:thumb:

14. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Thanks for helping to bring other folks to BoneSmart! We love it when our family expands!!!
    [​IMG]

15. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Home safely after a completely successful long weekend in the caravan - also heard a great preacher on Sunday (slight bias there!)
    Took it all very steadily & found that there wasn't anything that I really couldn't do - delighted now that we have booked a long holiday in France, starting in 3 weeks time.
    Knee feels big still. Feels bigger than it looks. Am walking well, puzzled why some days are more difficult/tiring than others, but know not to worry about it. Slow & steady wins the race.
    I am very pleased with myself :yes!: ...... no false modesty here!

• Like Like x 1
  16. bottomshollow

bottomshollow Moderator

Rita, you, too, along with Janet and Jackey, are a poster woman for the BoneSmart way to recovery. stars-shower-smiley.gif May have had a slightly rocky start, but you've moved along slowly and steadily and are doing absolutely great for 2 months post op. Following that mantra really works, and you are living proof. woot-smiley.gif

Happy you had a good trip--and have another to look forward to knowing you can truly enjoy it. wine smiley.gif

17. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Walked to church (& back) this morning. Remembered to offer thanks in between! :angel:

18. Debbie_joints

Debbie_joints Post-Grad

Hi reetpteet (sorry don't know your name, it's not in your signature), (editing here, must be Rita) sounds like you had a nice time on your caravan. Have to ask, how big is your van? I know there are different terms for different parts of the world. Just wondering if it is the same as what we have. We have a 39ft motor home that we like to travel in. All the comforts of home. No staying in hotels and I love that we have our own bed to sleep in and all the comforts of home too.
    I hear you on the doubts before surgery. I am having them now. Wondering do I really need this surgery. Last minute cold feet I guess.

19. reetpteet

reetpteet Graduate

Hi Debbie, you guess right, it's Rita. Last minute doubts ............ what can I say! Your surgeon wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't needed, he has plenty of work without doing unnecessary knees I guess!
    Our caravan is tiny compare to your 39ft motorhome, it's just a 380/2 (3m 80cms) but still very comfy - we love it. We go to France in a couple of weeks & will do lots of chilling in our caravan (including icing of the knee!)

20. 1ELISEA

1ELISEA Forum Advisor

Sounds like you are enjoying your new knee, Rita, and making sure it is well traveled!

• Like Like x 1